Educational

Author Topic: Did the earth shake for you?  (Read 975 times)

Scrapheap

Re: Did the earth shake for you?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 06:47:53 PM »
For those of you who were interested, the earthquake occured in the Central Virginia Seismic Zone.

It isn't clear at this point if it occured on the Lakeside or Spotsylvania fault, but it is most likely one of the two.

It could be on another as-of-yet undiscovered faults as well, since faults in the eastern US aren't mapped very well, but the earthquake happend real close to the two mentioned faults.

eris

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2011, 10:57:47 PM »
5.9 earthquake reported in Virginia around 30 min ago.

Felt the shockwave here. Freaky. :zombiefuck:

yes, felt the shock .

was strange, having an earthquake HERE of all places.

It was mild where I live, but definitely felt a "shake"

I was at Pine Cove (OP knows where Im talking about :) ) and it was like a disparaging feeling, like being off balace. Wasnt sure exactly what happened till the news came on later and said it was an earthquake.

The reason you felt a 5.8 earthquake as far away as you did, is because most of the bedrock in the Eastern US is either metamorphic or igneous, both of which transmit seismic waves fairly well, without absorbing much of them.

The same size quake, here in the west, with all our sandstone and rhyolite, wouldn't be felt as far away.

I heard it was felt from Virginia to Massachusetts. That means it goes right though where I live, and Ive heard I live on a faultline.

I noticed the rumble  I think because I was sitting outside. Many people that live near me that were in their house say they didn't notice anything.

I felt it, but didnt know what it was. Thought we all just were imagining it. 

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2011, 11:00:59 PM »
That's it. It must be HAARP.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2011, 03:48:12 PM »
Pretty extensively undermined here, probably also why it was as noticeable as it was. Mom is about 2 miles up the road and didn't anything.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2011, 03:50:14 PM »
For those of you who were interested, the earthquake occured in the Central Virginia Seismic Zone.

It isn't clear at this point if it occured on the Lakeside or Spotsylvania fault, but it is most likely one of the two.

It could be on another as-of-yet undiscovered faults as well, since faults in the eastern US aren't mapped very well, but the earthquake happend real close to the two mentioned faults.

The geologist in NPR this morning was saying it didn't happen on a fault line at all.  It was an "intraplate event" whatever that means, and says that explains why it was felt for such a long distance.  She sounded confused to me.

P7PSP

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2011, 04:48:39 PM »

The geologist in NPR this morning was saying it didn't happen on a fault line at all.  It was an "intraplate event" whatever that means, and says that explains why it was felt for such a long distance.  She sounded confused to me.
Like a much, much lighter version of the 1811 New Madrid Earthquakes. A Crack In The Edge Of The World by Simon Winchester delved in that type of quake for a chapter or two.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 04:50:46 PM by PPK »

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »

Like a much, much lighter version of the 1811 New Madrid Earthquakes. A Crack In The Edge Of The World by Simon Winchester delved in that type of quake for a chapter or two.
There were several quakes over 8 on the richter scale, for that year and 1812. The largest quakes ever in the lower 48 states. Hundreds of aftershocks. That area is due for more. As is the area here in the Carolinas.

P7PSP

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2011, 05:08:55 PM »
Yeah skyblue, when that happens again the Southeast will be hurting big time.

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2011, 05:11:08 PM »

This is true as the midwest and most of the east coast are sitting on bedrock which amplifies eveything. The east coast is under squeezing pressure from what I believe is called the Mid-Atlantic plate

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2011, 05:13:45 PM »
Yeah skyblue, when that happens again the Southeast will be hurting big time.
Memphis and St. Louis will suffer major damage. The bridges over the river will be destroyed, including the I-40 bridges. So much of our goods are shipped on that interstate, it will be devastating to the economy.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2011, 05:39:45 PM »
A simplistic map of the tectonic plates and the general directions of their movement.

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

P7PSP

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2011, 07:48:11 PM »
cool map