Author Topic: Question for PeterMac - or anyone who knows Glasgow  (Read 1469 times)

thepeaguy

Re: Question for PeterMac - or anyone who knows Glasgow
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2006, 05:44:40 AM »
Pyraxis im really glad you arrived safely as i had been wondering but didnt send another PM as i didnt think youd get it, its great you found a B&B, i had tried more of those guest houses etc for you but i had the same result as you, they were all booked up too with it being near xmas, its handy you finally found one in Kilsyth near your workplace. I hope the flat hunting goes well, dont know if any of those flats were suitable, but i will keep my eye out for any more listings for you, and if you get into any bother whilst your here, or need any help with anything, even stuff you might feel stupid asking anyone etc you know how to contact me.

Im happy to break the news Litigious that Gaelic isnt anywhere near a common spoken language here in Scotland (thank fuck) with the exception of the tiny percentage on shitty little islands and stuff who are stuck in the dark age with nothing better to do with their time, who usually come across like fuckwits, with zero personality, zero charisma and zero intelligence, oh and those pathetic little mumsy nerdy teachers that go from an island to another part of Scotland and want to teach the primary school kids Gaelic and reinstate it, be patriotic or something (the kind of teachers you wonder how they became qualified because theyre so stupid). Gaelic is nasty it has to be one of the most coma inducing languages out (seriously). Thank the gods the majority of Scots had the common sense to ditch it and nott allow it to make a big comeback.

We Picts need no Celtic garbage, we rely only on our instincts and manpower. Huzzah! (Actually, they recorded fuck-all about their civilzation.)

I wonder if they're the painted tribe who spread semen on their faces in battle?

duncvis

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2006, 05:50:32 AM »
that was the Bukkakeans. :D

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2006, 05:51:56 AM »
that was the Bukkakeans. :D
when it would rain, they would say that its cumming down in buckets.
Misunderstood.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2006, 09:44:50 AM »
What is in a accent I have spoken with a real Southern Draw when I lived in Florida as a child. When I moved to North Dakota for awhile I sounded different for sure.

Some people change their accents if they live in another place a couple of years, some don't. Some Swedes forget many Swedish words when living in the US for many years and rarely speaking Swedish, while others speak perfectly Swedish after decades abroad.
I have lived all over Texas and, believe it or not, there are a number of different sounding Texas accents, all of which I have conglomerated. I also lived in Tennessee and now Indiana. All have different accents and common word usages vary, also. My problem is that I'm an echoer. I mimic everything I hear and accents settle in my speech fairly quickly, as long as I'm still playing the "Game" of socializing, but when I relax and return to my own comfort zone Ah'm pure ole west Texas.

Once my wife and her brother were trying to do me a favor, by getting me a job with someone they knew. They got him on the phone and were trying to get me to talk to him, right then. No one knew how incredibly difficult it is for me to talk on the telephone, in those days, except me (Phoning with Sensory integration dysfunction = hear the sound + create a mental pictorial representation + try to find similarities to other pictorials in memory + try to extract some meaning + identify possible related responses + choose a response + create some pictorial avenue of dialog patterns to present to my speech centers + translate it to working spoken words.) It all happens in a flash if I'm sharp and "On It", but when I'm fatigued or forced into an uncomfortable situation, like being pushed to talk on the phone, I resort to a default accent. I spoke in a Texas drawl and they all thought I had deliberately spoken like an asshole hick in order to NOT get the job. I didn't even know I had changed my speech patterns. I just wanted to go talk, in person, to the boss guy to get the job, that way, and skip the whole phoning part.

I have mellowed my default accent to some degree and now, noboby seems to be able to tell where I'm from, because my accent is so mixed up.  8)

Pyraxis,
Congrats on the new job! I hope your accent doesn't fuck you over. ;D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 09:49:38 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Litigious

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2006, 09:58:44 AM »
I have lived all over Texas and, believe it or not, there are a number of different sounding Texas accents, all of which I have conglomerated. I also lived in Tennessee and now Indiana. All have different accents and common word usages vary, also. My problem is that I'm an echoer. I mimic everything I hear and accents settle in my speech fairly quickly, as long as I'm still playing the "Game" of socializing, but when I relax and return to my own comfort zone Ah'm pure ole west Texas.
---
I have mellowed my default accent to some degree and now, noboby seems to be able to tell where I'm from, because my accent is so mixed up.  8)

Texas is bigger than most European countries, except for Russia and Ukraine, I think, so it's no wonder there are many different Texan accents.

In some parts of Sweden you can hear exactly from which town or village a person is, because the accents vary almost from parish to parish. At least if you are from that neighbourhood, you can hear the difference. I can imitate many Swedish accents myself and speak British as well as American English, but I never seem to be able to really quit my own accent. But, hey, why would I?  8)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 10:21:04 AM by Litigious »

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2006, 10:19:29 AM »
What is in a accent I have spoken with a real Southern Draw when I lived in Florida as a child. When I moved to North Dakota for awhile I sounded different for sure.

I grew up in Alabama so I had a very pronounced Southern accent.  There are several Alabama accents too.  Mine was a central Alabama accent when I was growing up.  I have lived several other places since I have grown up, so it is not quite as noticeable now unless I go back home for a visit or talk to someone from home on the telephone.  A person can still tell that I am from the Southern U.S. if I speak, but they can't tell which state I am from anymore.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2006, 10:57:21 AM »
A person can still tell that I am from the Southern U.S. if I speak, but they can't tell which state I am from anymore.

The Best Man at our wedding had a Haitian mom and good old army boy from Alabama for a dad. He was about twelve when his mom came to the states. His accent is so odd that everyone asks him where he's from. He just laughs and says Alabama, but that doesn't explain it sufficiently to some.  ;D
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

ozymandias

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2006, 11:03:22 AM »
I am also a natural mimic of accents, it's unconscious, I just do it!  I lived in NYC for 2 months and came back with a Manhattan Accent, I lived in the Tidewater Area of Virginia and developed a light southern accent.  My accent now is more Mainer after 11 years here.  In upstate central NY, where I spent a few years, the accent is New York, but, more closely related to Midwestern areas like Michigan, where my in laws came from originally.

The accent where I grew up was mostly English French Canadian, which is both nasal and back of the throat.  That reflects where a lot of immigrants from France came from when they set sail for Canada back in the 1700's.

Nowadays with people moving all over the US, accents have become diluted and are much more uniform.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2006, 01:37:32 PM »
"I'm a mimic and my body is my tool."

Points for recognising the quote. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2006, 08:51:06 PM »
Are things still going ok, pyraxis?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2011, 04:07:28 PM »
OMG I had no idea Pyraxis lived in Scotland, and was in Kilsyth in '06. I had a couple of good friends who lived in Kilsyth at that time, and Ispent quite a lot of time there.

Theres a good chance we passed each other in the street :lol:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2011, 09:12:27 PM »
 :LOL: I was actually living in Kirkintilloch, working in Kilsyth. Used to go to lunch with the guys from work at the... what was it called? That little inn with the restaurant underneath that's right along the main road.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2011, 09:34:14 PM »
:lol:

The friends I mentioned now live in Kirkintilloch. I dont know the name of the inn, but Im wondering if its the one next to the raolway line.

Did you like your time in the area?

I dont remember much about Kirkintilloch, but I was nwver keen on Kilsyth. I still would rather be there than here though.
We would often go up imto the Campsie hills and get drunk and sleep in the car :laugh: It was a nice place.

Im guessing you'll have been to Cumbernauld. Its town centre is supposed to be the ugliest building in Britain.

Sorry you got one of the shittier parts of the country. Lots of Scotland is nice.