Author Topic: Books  (Read 247 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Books
« on: July 09, 2011, 07:49:14 PM »
Does anyone here know anything about selling books?  I recently came into a bunch some evidently desirable.  I have in the past tried the market with mixed results and they don't do well with the traveling.  I am thinking about ebay as I am with a lot of stuff but have yet to get my ass in gear.  The whole ebay thing scares me some not sure why.  I have an account and a paypal one too linked to a dedicated bank account
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Scrapheap

Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 07:52:27 PM »
Unless you're a book expert, I'd say ebay is your best bet.

It's hard to tell if what you got is worth anything or not.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:52:03 PM »
I looked at Cash4books once. 
They pay shipping to them
Deal in books with IBSN
Made a decent offer on a book I'd paid 50 cents for (3.00), but I'd bought it as a present for my sister, so I didn't take their offer.

That's all I know about selling books.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 03:33:41 AM »
When planning to sell a book, first check its availability on Amazon and the like (be careful to look for specific editions and note their ISBNs) and then look up the specific ISBN on Abebooks (www.abebooks.com). The latter should tell you a bit about its actual worth. Then sell it on eBay.

Note that old books won't necessarily have ISBN numbers.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 07:41:32 AM »
Yes as Odeon says.   :thumbup:

Ebay can be a pain in the arse.  You need to decide if you will auction them or put a 'buy it now' price.  If you are not
too bothered about how much you make on them just auction them  (putting a reserve, or buy it now price just makes
the ebay fees higher)

I have found it also quite time consuming, entering all the relevant data.  If it puts you off i guess you could try
selling them to a dealer, or second hand book store.

Good luck!
blah blah blah

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:39:20 AM »
Ebay can be a PITA, but I've really dealt with some great people over the years. And best of all (for me) I can do it by email in writing and not verbally.   :zoinks:

The first 3 really good sales will get you over the first hurdle quick. Then the greed will set in and over-ride the anxiety $$$. :laugh:

Try to avoid using the stock photos for newer books, most people really want to see the "actual" condition.

If the books are older the more pictures the better, spine, covers, any damage or a sample of the illustrations if it has any (especially on old children's books).

I ship book rate/media mail  w/delivery confirmation and offer priority as an upgrade option on the better books.

Packaging usually consists of a gallon size storage bag for water protection & either a padded mailer, or my preferred method, gallon storage bag, wrapped in b-flute or cardboard for stability, & a vinyl mailer. Lots I box, normally lined with a trash bag for mail carriers that sometimes leave packages on top of the box out in the rain.

Go ahead list a couple, then tell me how wonderful you did on them while my internet is fucked up.  >:D  You know you want to.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 06:34:35 PM »
Thanks all :thumbup:

Media mail is awesome I shipped a 56 lbs box of books for my brother from NY to Or for just $22.50
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 08:21:53 PM »
Also if there is a book exchange you might be able to sell some there. They are similar to markets, but deal with books and records more than other stuff.