Educational

Author Topic: Interesting people  (Read 397 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Interesting people
« on: June 27, 2011, 08:11:07 PM »
Everybody knows some, some even consider me one :dunno: but what ever post some characters you have met in the past or know now.

Today I went and delivered a industrial sewing machine and antique toasters to a friend of my brothers to a guy who could be Tommy Chongs long lost brother. I mean he looks like him, talks like him and acts like him,  well at least how he is in the movies.  He is an artist and local character in a very rich town his car is an old station wagon with large carved wooden wings on the sides and poles for holding banners that are about ten feet tall off the top.  Inside his house there where beer bottles all over in the kitchen  and some suspicious green herbs on the  table but then there was his paintings and  relief wood carvings which where fucking amazing.  I love meeting people like this
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: Interesting people
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 08:24:55 AM »
Which one do I start with?  :laugh:

Used to play numbers for a man in his late 60's about 15 years ago. He never said more than 3 words max maybe (didn't like people for the most part), but he knew I loved VW's (he drove a brand new VW Golf at the time).

I had heard rumors he had a couple stored away but never asked. One day he invited me down to his house to "look at something". 

Didn't know really what to expect he wouldn't say anything else, but I went anyways :viking:. His house was 3 houses down from were I live now, little white house with 2 big garages.

He opened up the garages and in those garages lived a 64 Ford TBird, a 57 Ford Fairlane, a 69 Ford Truck, a 1980's Rabbit convertible with approx 14,000 miles on it, a 1977 Beetle, and an early electric car of some kind that I can't remember.

All were low mileage and in pristine condition. He bought the convertible complete with a custom nameplate for his wife before she passed away from cancer, he told me she drove it maybe twice. Took me for a ride in it month later with the top down and I got to drive it back.

Every year he traded in the new VW for a newer model, every year I got a test drive them. He passed away a few years back, he was very cool, he never said much, brought me peaches every summer and mentioned how his wife used to make him peach pie, I baked him a couple every year.  :laugh:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 08:29:25 AM »
That's just sweet.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

eris

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 09:51:44 PM »
I know a crazy girl :) A nice young girl about 28, I was good friends her cousin, Meat, as a teenager and knew her a bit from the 90s, and ran into her a few years ago and now see her a few times a month when i take her to her dr. appt. She is severe schizophrenic, and most of the time she just rambles off about stuff. Mostly taking the things she sees and spinning wild stories about them. Like when I am driving, she will point at the stores and say her father owns them, or point at someone and say they are her boyfriend. But also says really bizarre things that make no sense. Once, she told me she was drinking large amounts of salt water to purify herself, and i had to convince her, though irrationally that that was a bad idea.

But she has lapses where she is coherent, and you can have simple conversations with her as long as it is about what is going on at the time, or something she is interested in. And she is really good with directions. She can get you anywhere.

Offline The Member Formerly Known As Sophist

• Too Eliter for the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I am what I am and that's all what I am.
    • Gestalt: An Autism Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 11:23:17 AM »
My friend, Pops, is a fascinating person. Unfortunately, I can't really talk too much about him because he'd probably be pissed I was giving away personal information of his. Doh. But take my word for it: he'ss done incredible things, has known quite a few famous people, comes from a well known family, and is admirably modest. I keep telling him he should write his autobiography, but he spent quite a bit of time in the military doing some pretty covert things and he'd never be able to print any of that, which were a huge part of his life.

My godmother is also quite fascinating. Having lunch with her is like meeting with royalty. Most of the people I have in my life have been pretty real and down-to-earth. My godmother was raised with old money, servants, etc. She's a loving woman, although even at 75 she's still learning to let her hair down a little. Whenever we meet for lunch, it's always someplace like the Ritz-Carlton or the like. Olive Garden is probably as low-class as she goes (which for me is a bit dressy  :LOL: ). It's a whole 'nother world she's lived in. I would imagine those people who live in England or in a society which has had a more apparent class system, e.g., you can become as rich as you like but you'll never become a Lord, etc., have a better idea of what I'm talking about.
Flibbit.