Author Topic: Should prisoner's have the right to vote?  (Read 1219 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Should prisoner's have the right to vote?
« on: June 08, 2011, 03:01:05 AM »
The European Court of Human Rights has ruled that Britain is acting unlawfully by taking away the right to vote of people in prison.

Britain has not allowed it's prisoner's this right for 140 years.... now there will be certain prisoner's who will be given this opportunity.

Is the European Court right?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/5126647/Prisoners-to-get-right-to-vote-after-140-years-following-European-ruling.html
blah blah blah

Frolic_Fun

Re: Should prisoner's have the right to vote?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 04:29:39 AM »
I don't agree with giving them the right to vote. If anything, prisoners should have less rights than they currently do now IMO.

Offline Enos

• Earliest Common Ancestor of the Aspie Elite
  • Frequent Poster
    • My facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 04:36:15 AM »
Depends on the crime and the prisoner's state of mind. If it's a totally sane petty criminal that's stolen a few things I don't see the problem.
Swat PETA, not flies

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 04:53:33 AM »

Prisoners should have the right to vote :zombiefuck:  Sorry when your in prison you lose certain things.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 05:01:53 AM »
Agree with Parts.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 06:30:22 AM »
Everyone of legal age should have the right to vote. It's a fundamental right in representative democracies.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 06:33:50 AM »
So is freedom but that is taken away from prisoners also.  Being a prisoner means giving up certain rights as a citizen.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 06:35:37 AM »
imo if you commit a crime bad enough to deserve to be locked away, then you forfeit your rights

Basic human rights, yeah

But the right to participate in a society whose rules you refuse to follow? If you can't contribute to society then you can't claim to have the same rights others have

and by contribute to society I don't mean with money or anything, but by simply being a decent law-abiding person

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 06:40:12 AM »
So is freedom but that is taken away from prisoners also.  Being a prisoner means giving up certain rights as a citizen.

No; it means restricting certain rights to protect society as a whole. Prisoners give up their right to freedom of movement because it would be dangerous to society to let them move about (and it would ruin the basis of prison as a punishment, which also harms society); they give up their right to own guns because it would be dangerous to allow prisoners to own guns; etc. There should be a reason for why any right is ever restricted. Why should prisoners give up the right to vote?

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 06:41:00 AM »
imo if you commit a crime bad enough to deserve to be locked away, then you forfeit your rights

Basic human rights, yeah

But the right to participate in a society whose rules you refuse to follow? If you can't contribute to society then you can't claim to have the same rights others have

and by contribute to society I don't mean with money or anything, but by simply being a decent law-abiding person

Would you say the same thing about a political prisoner, or someone who was wrongfully convicted?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 06:48:51 AM »

Basic human rights, yeah

Would you say the same thing about a political prisoner, or someone who was wrongfully convicted?

I said someone who deserves to be locked up, someone who deserves it in my opinion

What kind of crimes deserve that sort of punishment is a whole other issue

obviously if someone is wrongly convicted then they should be able to vote, but if they're wrongly convicted then they are no longer is prison so that's irrelevant. unless you mean at a time when it's unknown that they are innocent, then it is assumed then that they arae guilty, so again not relevant

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 06:57:56 AM »

Basic human rights, yeah

I said someone who deserves to be locked up, someone who deserves it in my opinion

What kind of crimes deserve that sort of punishment is a whole other issue

obviously if someone is wrongly convicted then they should be able to vote, but if they're wrongly convicted then they are no longer is prison so that's irrelevant. unless you mean at a time when it's unknown that they are innocent, then it is assumed then that they arae guilty, so again not relevant

Your system unnecessarily restricts the rights of prisoners. Why shouldn't they be able to vote?

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 07:14:07 AM »
If you go to prison and you still have the same basic human rights and privileges of society, then it isn't a prison. The whole point of prison is to punish people who did nothing but disrupt others, which is done by restricting freedoms that we take for granted as citizens. If you give prisoners more freedoms, IMO then they might aswell be not in prison, but at a holiday resort that wastes tax money.

EDIT: Prison is so comfy to some people that they deliberately commit crimes in order to have better living conditions.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 07:14:47 AM »
The entire concept of prison is a relatively new one in the history of humankind, and a fucked up one at that.  Especially in the US where we keep a higher percentage of our population in prison than Russia or China.  Questions like whether or not they should be able to vote should take a backseat to the important questions like why a society should pay trillions of dollars to punish people in this fashion.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 07:27:53 AM »
If you go to prison and you still have the same basic human rights and privileges of society, then it isn't a prison. The whole point of prison is to punish people who did nothing but disrupt others, which is done by restricting freedoms that we take for granted as citizens. If you give prisoners more freedoms, IMO then they might aswell be not in prison, but at a holiday resort that wastes tax money.

EDIT: Prison is so comfy to some people that they deliberately commit crimes in order to have better living conditions.

The point of prison is to restrict prisoner access to society to minimize the damage that they can cause. Preventing prisoners from voting doesn't help that.