Educational

Author Topic: Eurovision  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
Re: Eurovision
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 03:53:41 PM »
Eurovision is seen by everyone as a complete joke. The music is abysmal. Almost everyone who watches it watches for the comedy value.

Funny thing is, word is that the Americans love the concept, and are interested in setting up their own version.

They already have that trash though , Americans are obsessed with "Talent shows"  :lol:

I had to look it up. :orly:

It sounds like soccer: Europeans get very excited about it, but Americans don't care about it.

:facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2:

Quote from: Wikipedia
The Contest has been broadcast every year since its inauguration in 1956 and is one of the longest-running television programmes in the world. It is also one of the most-watched non-sporting events in the world, with audience figures having been quoted in recent years as anything between 100 million and 600 million internationally.

Source

:facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2:

AMURRRICAAAAA  :autism:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

midlifeaspie

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 03:53:59 PM »
Eurovision is seen by everyone as a complete joke. The music is abysmal. Almost everyone who watches it watches for the comedy value.

Funny thing is, word is that the Americans love the concept, and are interested in setting up their own version.

I wouldn't doubt it.  Is it like a variety show?

For the record I hate American Idol, reality TV, talent shows and Jersey Shore like buffoonery.

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 03:55:36 PM »

For the record I hate American Idol, reality TV, talent shows and Jersey Shore like buffoonery.

Just thought I'd clarify , by "Americans love Talent shows" I mean , the majorirty and it's telivison broadcasters not individuals  :P
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 03:56:31 PM »
Blue are just a crappy boyband who were big here a few years ago. Jedward are 2 retarded hyperactive twins who shot to fame on a talent show. They're a national joke.

I wouldn't doubt it.  Is it like a variety show?

Not like a variety show. Each country nominates a cheesy pop song, and then all the other countries vote for the winner. It always ends up with countries voting for their neighbours and then the losers getting butthurt over the bad voting system

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 03:58:23 PM »
Blue are just a crappy boyband who were big here a few years ago. Jedward are 2 retarded hyperactive twins who shot to fame on a talent show. They're a national joke.

I wouldn't doubt it.  Is it like a variety show?

Not like a variety show. Each country nominates a cheesy pop song, and then all the other countries vote for the winner. It always ends up with countries voting for their neighbours and then the losers getting butthurt over the bad voting system

Thats a very accurate description :rofl:  :plus:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 04:56:59 PM »

Just thought I'd clarify , by "Americans love Talent shows" I mean , the majorirty and it's telivison broadcasters not individuals  :P

Oh, I know.  I was just clarifying my own position.  I know American's love this stuff, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why.  :dunno:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 04:57:46 PM »
Blue are just a crappy boyband who were big here a few years ago.

Were they poked at in a movie called "Love Actually"?  If so, I didn't know they were real.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2011, 05:08:03 PM »
Blue are just a crappy boyband who were big here a few years ago.

Were they poked at in a movie called "Love Actually"?  If so, I didn't know they were real.

:lol: :lol:

I had no idea. I'd never seen the film, but just googled it, and yes. It looks like it's them.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2011, 05:37:17 PM »
So AZERBAIJAN won?

Is that a good thing?

Is this like the Olympics?

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2011, 05:42:58 PM »
Aaaaww gaaawd

this thread

...bought back memories

...painful horrendous memories

of

Bucks Fizz :emb:

i can't even bring myself to dig up a photo for all you young things
blah blah blah

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2011, 05:57:38 PM »
Aaaaww gaaawd

this thread

...bought back memories

...painful horrendous memories

of

Bucks Fizz :emb:

i can't even bring myself to dig up a photo for all you young things

OMG, I've only ever seen clips of Bucks Fizz. I don't think I was even born when they won :laugh: I've seen clips of ABBA, and Celine Dion in it as well. That was before Celine had her teeth done :zombiefuck:

So AZERBAIJAN won?

Is that a good thing?

Is this like the Olympics?

It's not like the Olympics. It's not even like the Special Olympics :laugh: I think some of the poorer countries take it seriously, but for the more advanced countries it's just a big joke.

I'm not sure if it's a good thing that Azerbaijan won. I can't even remember their song. That's how memorable Eurovision is.
I suppose it's a good thing for Azerbaijan though. They will get to host the contest next year, and it will probably give them a little bit of international exposure. Probably help tourism, and all that stuff. I'm sure some Azerbijanees will be happy. TBH I doubt if too many people in Britain cared who won though. I suppose it's good that one of the poorer countries won it. I'm sure they'll appreciate it far more than we would have.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2011, 06:07:34 PM »
You probably weren't born Butterflies,  i can't recall the year but i was a little girl at the time.

There was a media frenzy afterwards -  winning i suppose :thumbdn:

I have to confess,  that was probably the one and only time i felt
ashamed to be british

I avoid the show now,  takes me back to all that cringing at Bucks Fizz :hide:
blah blah blah

midlifeaspie

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2011, 06:09:02 PM »
This?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:11:10 PM by Jeremy Fisher »

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »
Painfull.  :zombiefuck:

I didn't realize it was so long ago. 9 years before I was born.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2011, 07:34:26 PM »
Aaaaagghhh
No
blah blah blah