Author Topic: Kid playing with dead squirrel  (Read 1604 times)

Psychophant

Re: Kid playing with dead squirrel
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 07:59:34 PM »

I didn't know that squirrels couldn't carry rabies.

It is possible, but very rare.  They are usually too fragile to survive the bite that would transmit the disease.

Any animal can carry rabies, yes, it is rare in certain animals.  But, I have been witness  to animal attacks aftermath, and we automatically have to assume they have rabies and act accordingly. 

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 08:00:51 PM »
My aunt used to feed squirrels in the garden, and they would come up to the back door and eat out of her hand. One of them was an albino, and it bit her :laugh:

They were good fun.

Psychophant

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 08:06:39 PM »
I've hand fed chipmunks before.  And nearly got bit, it thought my finger was a peanut or something I guess. 

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 08:11:42 PM »
I've hand fed chipmunks before.  And nearly got bit, it thought my finger was a peanut or something I guess. 

It thought you were tasty?  :P
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 08:12:32 PM »
I had a pet squirrel named Mr. Kaufman when I was a teenager.  I caught it barehanded.  It was sitting on the top of a chain link fence gnawing on an old dog bone.  It probably had been someone's pet and gotten out because while he did bite me, he was basically very tame.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

P7PSP

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 12:08:27 AM »
Squirrels can be disease vectors and the squirrel should have been calmly taken fron the little girl. http://atlantasquirrelremoval.us/common-squirrel-diseases/ When I was visiting Blanding Utah in 1996 the local newspaper had a story of a local man who died from septicemic plague that got into his blood stream while he was skinning a Prairie Dog. Just the plague vaccination can make a person miserable.

Offline Enos

• Earliest Common Ancestor of the Aspie Elite
  • Frequent Poster
    • My facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 04:52:23 AM »
I've just had a thought, when you butcher game such as hares and pheasants and for some people squirrels you're handling it for hours. And those animals have been running around god knows where. But a dead animal being carried for a few minutes is dangerous.  :dunno:
Swat PETA, not flies

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 05:29:24 AM »
I've just had a thought, when you butcher game such as hares and pheasants and for some people squirrels you're handling it for hours. And those animals have been running around god knows where. But a dead animal being carried for a few minutes is dangerous.  :dunno:

I have never butchered a rabbit or a squirrel, but I doubt that it takes more than a few minutes to skin and gut one.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 07:50:21 AM »
Eh.  I have spent a LOT of time handling dead animals.  I'm okay.  Sure, there are always worst case scenarios, but I still stand by my original assertion that I would let my kid explore in the short term  My wife on the other hand, well I just hope she isn't home at the time :)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 10:24:52 AM »
Even though I majored in biology and did my share of work with animals they were not my thing I was a plant guy.  Part of my reaction is probably due to having a heath inspector for a grandfather who put the fear of germs in us all at early ages
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 12:33:12 PM »
Squirrels can be disease vectors and the squirrel should have been calmly taken fron the little girl. http://atlantasquirrelremoval.us/common-squirrel-diseases/ When I was visiting Blanding Utah in 1996 the local newspaper had a story of a local man who died from septicemic plague that got into his blood stream while he was skinning a Prairie Dog. Just the plague vaccination can make a person miserable.

That's true, but I thought somewhere in the video they said it had been killed by a dog.  That would minimize the possibility of that particular squirrel having a communicable disease.  And it's in a habited area.  I would imagine those diseases are slightly more prevalent in the wild.

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 01:23:55 PM »
Eh.  I have spent a LOT of time handling dead animals.  I'm okay.  Sure, there are always worst case scenarios, but I still stand by my original assertion that I would let my kid explore in the short term  My wife on the other hand, well I just hope she isn't home at the time :)

What would she do, sterilize the little one's hands with that alcohol based hand sanitizer after she was done freaking out?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 02:16:53 PM »
I keep thinking this says "Kit playing with dead squirrel"

For some reason I'm never surprised

midlifeaspie

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 02:19:04 PM »

What would she do, sterilize the little one's hands with that alcohol based hand sanitizer after she was done freaking out?

In her current state of morning sickness, I think she would run to the nearest bush and yak.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 02:20:51 PM »
how many moths is she?