Educational

Author Topic: People's views regarding transpeople  (Read 15726 times)

Osensitive1

Re: People's views regarding transpeople
« Reply #345 on: April 27, 2011, 09:17:04 PM »
Good post, Bodaccea.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #346 on: April 27, 2011, 09:41:14 PM »
I
Past history is an excuse why it'd be hard to change the habit of using different pronouns, but not an excuse to neglect them. I can understand you being bitter and disliking Kayleigh, but disrespect is disrespect, justified or not. Kayleigh's mistake was leading her on and marrying her. But you can't change the past. Justifying botty-burp on transsexualism upsetting a friend is about as much sense as being racist because a black man stole your wallet. It's not hard to treat a transgirl you hate the same as a cisgirl you hate.

Rissy,  I really hope that you realise that what you said here was insensitive to say the least.  You have stressed that you are tired and i do hope that is the reason.
Other than that you have made a lot of sense today.  You stormed the place,  and i think your entrance was cool. :thumbup:
 above statement not so cool.   :thumbdn:

"Kayleigh's mistake was leading her on and marrying her."    -  you say that so matter of fact, like it's OK to do that to someone.   
An expendable commodity.  You then  equate it to "upsetting a friend"  -  wtf?  now that is an outrageous understatement! 
They got married.  FFS. Big deal - it is to some!   You have just trivialised what should have been the most important and happy
event in her life!  I cannot begin to imagine how she must feel.

Also i feel i should point out to you that Renaeden is an active member here.  Kayleigh is not.  You said yourself about 'getting out what you put in'
 -  well in the three months i been here Kayleigh has only bothered to post here to have a go at someone.  I imagine someone email's her if there is
any threads of this nature.  Anyway she appears, she misread everything and just has a tantrum. That is her contribution. 
So, going back to 'getting out what you put in'   ....do you see?   

You appear to trivialise Renaeden and her 'upset'  in order to highlight the plight of poor Kayleigh. 

Try a different approach.

Thanks for explaining this better than I ever could, Bodaccea.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #347 on: April 27, 2011, 09:55:52 PM »
>:( Stupid computer... I lost my post.
Past history is an excuse why it'd be hard to change the habit of using different pronouns, but not an excuse to neglect them. I can understand you being bitter and disliking Kayleigh, but disrespect is disrespect, justified or not. Kayleigh's mistake was leading her on and marrying her. But you can't change the past. Justifying botty-burp on transsexualism upsetting a friend is about as much sense as being racist because a black man stole your wallet. It's not hard to treat a transgirl you hate the same as a cisgirl you hate.

It's late, so I don't have time to rewrite the post I made (And my hand is fractured, forcing me to one hand type) But I wasn't claiming to totally read Swearengen or anything. I was just presenting my basic analysis and perception. It shouldn't be remarkable enough to worry about. And I think you just have trouble understanding the language and tone I use, I haven't been backing out on anything I said. I've just rephrased it hoping for you to understand my meaning better. I consider it to be trolling when you seek to upset someone with irrelevant comments. The fact you admitted to attacking her gender instead of her behavior is where you showed signs of trolling.

You don't have to feel sorry for her or care about transsexualism. You just have to accept her gender, or atleast use female pronouns about her. It's just about being considerate. If you don't care, there's no harm in using female pronouns for the sake of respect. If you have a problem with using respectful pronouns, it's obvious that you DO care and are showing signs of botty-burp. You all seem to hate Kayleigh so obviously she's a poor subject matter, but you just need to live and let live...

Oh... and I guess i'll respond to odean tomorrow <_<

Actually no I didn't. I did say

Which do you think will have the greatest effect- attacking you personally for your woeful personality and bigoted arrogant views or attacking you as a transperson? i would suggest any member on this board you loathe to attack whichever has the greatest effect on you. As a result you may decide to leave as a result.

But i don't recall attacking Kayleigh's gender so again...you make the claim...back it.

Two now of course back one should prove the other.
1) I have trolled Kayleigh in this thread
2) I have attacked Kayleigh gender.

No doubt having made the claims you will be able to back it as it is what you have derived your " basic analysis and perception".

So in respect to "You just have to accept her gender, or atleast use female pronouns about her. It's just about being considerate." in return Kayleigh will be considerate to people that do not wish to change the way they view, identify or name things, and will seek to treat them with as much respect as you both demend that Kayleigh gets treated? Sounds very fair.

That is what you are saying right?

As to your last bit about what is obvious and a logical follow on. Not at all. If nothing else in this thread has shown this to be false then at least consider that people will behave a number of ways for a number of reasons and whilst we can give educated guesses or "basic analysis and perception" it is likely to be flawed.

Being overly presumptuous about such things is a flawed attack and you have only to look as far as Kayleigh's textual vomit to see that. :)

Poor you, not comfortable with calling her "she" :'(

If renaeden can do it, then who the hell are you to refuse?

And I know I will get shit for this post, but I don't care. I think that's a pathetic stance to take

I think it is a little pathetic trying to equate Callaway with Renaeden.
Now rather than assume that Renaeden with be hurt and hate GA how about assume that Renaeden has a lot of memories and love still for GA which Callaway has and will never have. It would actually be more likely (though not easy) for Renaeden to be more forgiving and whatever.
Yet you seek to impose Renaeden's very moral stance towards other's here as a acceptable standard.

An analogy here is for someone to get beaten every day of their school life without retaliating because for them to do so is "condoning violence" or whatever. Sure it is a great morality but if that doesn't suit everyone and if they decide to defend themselves and fight back, that is OK too. Different morality but neither is worse, both are just different.

It is a perfectly simple and reasonable argument. Dismiss someone else's problems as crap and your own problems can be given the exact same treatment. Don't cry about others having an over-inflated sense of importance when you're just as up-yourself. Turning my argument on Kayleigh hasn't stopped it aiming at you too.

Every aspect of language is a social construct. It's out of your character to suggest that there is any divine reason for anything. And just like humans developed religion, they developed the basic, lacking classifications of everything. It was never black and white, it's just human nature to be lazy and not over complicate things. Life messes up all the time, so its not like its all that rare. When things fuck up so frequently, you might as well make room for it. Some cultures do actually have more than two recognized genders. There's more to life than reproduction and you might as well judge people on their actions and not on their make-up. What are you suggesting that transpeople do? The mind is the essence of a person. The body is just tasty meat.

Sure I don't mind you or others aiming at my "problems". I don't have issue with this. Did you for some reason think this was an Autism Support site or something? You seem to infer that we would have an investment in society treating us better? That we are having continued problems with society and would have people change the way they treat us?
People are people regardless and most people that know won't care and those that care won't know.
I know society will not change to fit in with my Autism I have no emotional payload over this. I make best of what hands I have been played. I will gladly work through every misunderstanding, embarrassment, humiliation, upset, confusion and isolation. That is life. Always has been. I EXPECT people will act like people and I will not expect or whine about the indifference.
Transgenderism is really a small thing in society. In real terms it affects comparatively few. It doesn't cost society that much and it has no HUGE impacts.
Hell, the supposed "Autism epidemic", has barely managed to blip on the society consciousness and they almost to a person think all Autistics are bloody Rainman.
You REALLY think that society will change?
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #348 on: April 27, 2011, 10:23:41 PM »
I see the guests are still lurking. Welcome to the transphobic pit of hell... well actually no, we're not, but this is:

http://encyclopediadramatica.ch/Transsexual

Now look at this thread and look at that link, and spot the difference on the level of transphobia. :zoinks:

Edit: MOAR links

http://encyclopediadramatica.ch/Transphobia
http://encyclopediadramatica.ch/FTM
http://encyclopediadramatica.ch/MTF

Have fun. :green:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:28:41 PM by ProfessorFarnsworth »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #349 on: April 27, 2011, 10:34:40 PM »
Did I scare them off so quickly? lol

But seriously, if you think we're bad, have a look at the internet at large. We are nothing compared those who are actually transphobic or in ED's case, doing it for the lulz to intentionally piss people off who are too sensitive.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #350 on: April 28, 2011, 12:36:41 AM »
GA has cowered away, a usual tactic of his when confronted or called out for his bullshit.

But seriously, if you think we're bad, have a look at the internet at large. We are nothing compared those who are actually transphobic or in ED's case, doing it for the lulz to intentionally piss people off who are too sensitive.

I personally think if they want to live in a naive fantasy world where everyone is free, equal and happy, they really should just kill themselves. The world simply does not fucking work like that, nature does not work like that and the universe does not work like that. There will always be injustice, unimaginably horrible things happening to people/animals, racism etc etc etc. Sure one can try, but IMO they're only rearranging the shit to look more pretty - in reality it's still shit. I suggest that we should just get on with our lives rather than cry about every single thing happening in the world. Tears won't change it.

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #351 on: April 28, 2011, 12:54:52 AM »
GA has cowered away, a usual tactic of his when confronted or called out for his bullshit.

I personally think if they want to live in a naive fantasy world where everyone is free, equal and happy, they really should just kill themselves. The world simply does not fucking work like that, nature does not work like that and the universe does not work like that. There will always be injustice, unimaginably horrible things happening to people/animals, racism etc etc etc. Sure one can try, but IMO they're only rearranging the shit to look more pretty - in reality it's still shit. I suggest that we should just get on with our lives rather than cry about every single thing happening in the world. Tears won't change it.

Exactly, it's a case of unrealistic expectations to have a perfect world like that. I just find it obnoxious that people who supposedly preach for equality are also the ones to adopt bigoted attitudes as well. It's logic fail to expect people to be more fair, if you perpetuate the same attitude in a different disguise. It's actually unavoidable in some cases.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #352 on: April 28, 2011, 01:12:39 AM »

Agreed!!   :plus:
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Rissy

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #353 on: April 28, 2011, 02:46:17 AM »
I did say I was going to sleep in my last post, so obviously a day is fair enough time to wait before suggesting I left. For your information, I don't think that people earn respect with disrespectful behavior. I've already said that. But if you're disrespectful, you can't really complain someone else is, maybe you should be the one to grow up first. It's not even about Kayleigh, think about transpeople in general, if you're publically saying things that would offend transpeople, that is obviously botty-burp, regardless of whether you care. You know the original link? That had a lot of comments that sounded racist about the attackers. I totally call them out on racism there and I'm caucasian. The very issue here is botty-burp and plenty of the louder people here ARE cissexist. I'm just saying that being cissexist is an act of discrimination. I'm not arguing that people are transphobic so going on about that is pointless. I'm only calling botty-burp. And some of you accept that you're cissexist, which is your choice to make.
odeon:You talk about me judging people, but what if i went around making sexist, racist and pansexist comment, I'm sure you'd judge me. I'm here for the argument. Judging you is something I can do without typing a single key. I'm sure there's some argument we agree on and I could respect you for that, but I don't respect your view on transsexualism and I'm arguing against your comments.

My comment about Kayleigh marrying her was actually a bitch comment to Kayleigh. She shouldn't of gotten close to her in that way. Transitioning only breaks illusions about how a person really is, and since you can choose to marry and get in a relationship, it's Kayleigh's fault that renaeden got hurt. Happy memories can lead to sad memories and renaeden was better off with someone else. I was just telling Callaway to get over the past. I'm just a random IRL friend, I didn't figure it was significant enough to answer.

The argument's about fixing the mind seem quite ridiculous and in that case, there would be the technology to turn everyone into puppets. Transsexualism is about identity, I mean, preventative measures to stop people being born like that might work, but to reprogram the mind turns you into a different person and what kind of fanatic isn't going to start making slaves out of it. It's not a bit of brain you can cut out, you'd have to destroy and rebuild the brain, or atleast some of it.
The mind totally trumps the body, and while there are still people wired wrong, you should consider the mind over the body. I personally have no regard for human vegetables, which probably makes me a bitch, but a living being is their mind and take that away, they become food.

Arguing about word definitions is stupid too. Dictionaries are inconsistent with each other and all that really matters is common use. You seem to forget that language is constantly developing and changes in trends. You act like your view is pure science and physical perspective, but since you think in such black and white terms, you are a pathetic scientist. Or maybe you just have a god complex and want make everything conform to the way you want everything to be. A transwomen is programmed to be a woman and socially there's no reason to consider them to be a man.

I think you are a twat and until you prove you aren't I'm clearly winning this argument.

I can take the same stance. But that argues nothing, it just says that you consider yourself superior in your own head. Who was the one talking about fantasies? 8)

And while bigots do hang out at ED, anyone intelligent knows it's just a trolling reference for uncreative trolls.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 02:50:01 AM by Rissy »

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #354 on: April 28, 2011, 02:56:04 AM »
And while bigots do hang out at ED, anyone intelligent knows it's just a trolling reference for uncreative trolls.

So you acknowledge that some circumstances are not serious then but rather trolling aka piss taking? Well then, it's the same for a lot of things said here and yet you're very quick to paint a generalized brush about this community.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 02:57:36 AM by ProfessorFarnsworth »

Offline Rissy

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #355 on: April 28, 2011, 02:59:57 AM »
I know that a lot of this is just making fun, or just pissing Kayleigh off 'cause you hate her. But people like odeon are actually expressing cissexist views and I'm just debating his reasons.

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #356 on: April 28, 2011, 03:03:30 AM »
I know that a lot of this is just making fun, or just pissing Kayleigh off 'cause you hate her. But people like odeon are actually expressing cissexist views and I'm just debating his reasons.

Okay fair enough, at least you understand that. That's all I wanted to know. :)

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #357 on: April 28, 2011, 03:05:03 AM »
TL;DR for the most part.

Their gender, race etc. do not come into the equation at all, I see it as pretty stupid to judge someone by such things. I prefer to judge by one's personality, only using their race, gender etc. as tools to annoy them for having such a rotten personality to begin with. Call me all the terms you want, be it racist, homophobe, botty-burp etc - I couldn't honestly give a fuck. I'm not going to cry in the morning because someone tries to stick their head up their arse like some shitty imitation of ouroboros over what I said.

I will never show respect towards GA unless the cunt lightens up and doesn't cry about everything. I don't care about his transistion and he shouldn't expect me to, more important things than one's sex/gender.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #358 on: April 28, 2011, 03:09:56 AM »

I was always open about being trans on wp btw, but felt like i had to set my profile to Female when I joined (would have left it unanswered if possible), so everyone assumed I was a lesbian unless I talked to them about being trans
Yeah that is where I first got to know you and so I thought you were a girl. And still did until not long ago. It is hard to suddenly change perception of a person from one gender to another because gender is a big part of a person's identity.

Even harder to do this  (change perception) in rl but I am getting there. I love GA too much to ignore her wishes. We are not getting back together or anything (she has found someone else) but I still wish for her to be happy in everything she does. It is all I can do. I don't want our break-up to turn us into enemies, I don't want that kind of stress in my life.

Thanks for the support, to those that gave it. :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Rissy

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #359 on: April 28, 2011, 03:24:50 AM »
I always find TL:DR to be either a troll reply or simply careless ignorance. Either way, there is no argument from someone who replies with it.
But obviously judging someone by their personality is the best way to treat people, and obviously if you want to hurt someone, you pick at their weaknesses. But it's simply botty-burp, and Binty started this thread because people were quick to call people on racism and such, but not on botty-burp. The general reply is 'I don't give a shit' but it is a fact that's been confirmed by this thread.

And Schleed, the botty-burp I'm complaining about is the type you give to someone you don't hate.

Oh and Swearengen, why are you still crying for me to state the obvious.
"Which do you think will have the greatest effect- attacking you personally for your woeful personality and bigoted arrogant views or attacking you as a transperson? i would suggest any member on this board you loathe to attack whichever has the greatest effect on you. As a result you may decide to leave as a result."
That is called a troll comment. You're not debating with her. You're just provoking her. It's also a passive aggressive attack.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 03:37:12 AM by Rissy »