Author Topic: People's views regarding transpeople  (Read 15863 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: People's views regarding transpeople
« Reply #330 on: April 27, 2011, 06:01:19 PM »

You corrected me when we first met in my intro thread, but I wouldn't say you forced me..

Yeah I remember that - it definitely wasn't meant as asking or telling you to. I figure everyone who's a regular on here now knows I'm trans and knows I identify as a guy, so if they call me She then that's because, despite knowing I'm a transguy, they still see me as She. Whereas I assumed you didn't know that. If you'd carried on calling me she then I wouldn't have corrected you again. Was just correcting you then because you (I guessed) didn't know about me being trans

I was always open about being trans on wp btw, but felt like i had to set my profile to Female when I joined (would have left it unanswered if possible), so everyone assumed I was a lesbian unless I talked to them about being trans

That's part of the reason I just let people think I'm any random guy at first now. So they get to know me just as a guy first. (Not that I would lie if asked, or lave it out if it was relevant)

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #331 on: April 27, 2011, 06:01:43 PM »
"Dodgy Eyebrow club" ? do explain.  :lol:

And your fault for snoring so loudly  :zoinks:

She just mentioned it out of nowhere in the morning as some attempt to insult. I found it hilarious and we both decided to flesh it out. We even did drawings onto the train newspaper, from eyebrows holding candles to an eyebrow version of 9/11.

I'm trying to imagine that  :lol:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #332 on: April 27, 2011, 06:03:32 PM »
Yeah I think I get what you mean. I'm definitely not manly anyway :P

No, but a lot of geeky young guys are not terribly "manly."  I just have always thought of you as a guy.
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #333 on: April 27, 2011, 06:06:02 PM »

No, but a lot of geeky young guys are not terribly "manly."  I just have always thought of you as a guy.

Thanks 8)

Yeah I am ok with not being "manly." My personality is fairly androgynous anyway - I mean I like football and military stuff, but I also like cats and drawing

And yes I know that's stereotyping, but those were just random masculine and feminine things I could think of :P

So yeah I don't mind not being really manly, I just wish I wasn't so girly - it would make my life a lot easier lol

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #334 on: April 27, 2011, 06:07:21 PM »

:

I'm the definition of manly , excuse me whilst I go bounce my pecs.  :M :ghey:

:rofl: , Oh I love irony.
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #335 on: April 27, 2011, 06:08:18 PM »
It probably also plays a role that in my mind you are defined as "Soph", which sounds feminine to me.  Is it short for Sophocles? 

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #336 on: April 27, 2011, 06:42:55 PM »
yeah soph does sound kinda feminine,doesn't it? maybe people need to start calling me Heinrich instead, or something else. Fucktard? Dipshit? shame I didn't register on wp as something less girly lol

Celticgoddess

« Reply #337 on: April 27, 2011, 07:04:10 PM »
No, I like Soph. Although I hate change, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me  :autism:

Osensitive1

« Reply #338 on: April 27, 2011, 07:08:50 PM »
Yes, don't listen to her, Heinrich.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #339 on: April 27, 2011, 07:31:28 PM »
On the second, I don't believe I used emotional manipulation at all. Point out some examples from this thread where I have done so?

This issue is close to me, obviously. And I am engaged in spreading awareness and understanding of the issues, not just for transpeople, but for all diverse sexuality and gender people, and for autism and other disabilities. I'm a bit of an activist in that respect. I believe in knowledge and the reduction of ignorance. Yes I am passionate, and that shows in how I present my arguments. But I have never tried to emotionally manipulate anyone, that would be disingenuous and false conduct and would really undercut the validity of my arguments.

Yet by stating that you'll leave, etc, that's exactly what you are doing, especially when you keep coming back.

That and the whole, how we are so ignorant and insensitive and how she's worried about all of us acting like that in real life. Please, I don't take kindly to been treated as a fool by such pathetic attempts of guilt tripping. ::)

Most of that kind of talk is irrelevant and engineered to emotionally engage the reader to take pity on them. Besides it kind of alienates people when you proclaim how ignorant they are without giving them a chance to explain themselves or willing to engage the argument without resorting to that immediately. To do otherwise is called being judgemental, and is the same behaviour as the bigots employ against whatever they disdain.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:34:34 PM by ProfessorFarnsworth »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #340 on: April 27, 2011, 07:36:39 PM »
I
Past history is an excuse why it'd be hard to change the habit of using different pronouns, but not an excuse to neglect them. I can understand you being bitter and disliking Kayleigh, but disrespect is disrespect, justified or not. Kayleigh's mistake was leading her on and marrying her. But you can't change the past. Justifying botty-burp on transsexualism upsetting a friend is about as much sense as being racist because a black man stole your wallet. It's not hard to treat a transgirl you hate the same as a cisgirl you hate.

Rissy,  I really hope that you realise that what you said here was insensitive to say the least.  You have stressed that you are tired and i do hope that is the reason.
Other than that you have made a lot of sense today.  You stormed the place,  and i think your entrance was cool. :thumbup:
 above statement not so cool.   :thumbdn:

"Kayleigh's mistake was leading her on and marrying her."    -  you say that so matter of fact, like it's OK to do that to someone.   
An expendable commodity.  You then  equate it to "upsetting a friend"  -  wtf?  now that is an outrageous understatement! 
They got married.  FFS. Big deal - it is to some!   You have just trivialised what should have been the most important and happy
event in her life!  I cannot begin to imagine how she must feel.

Also i feel i should point out to you that Renaeden is an active member here.  Kayleigh is not.  You said yourself about 'getting out what you put in'
 -  well in the three months i been here Kayleigh has only bothered to post here to have a go at someone.  I imagine someone email's her if there is
any threads of this nature.  Anyway she appears, she misread everything and just has a tantrum. That is her contribution. 
So, going back to 'getting out what you put in'   ....do you see?   

You appear to trivialise Renaeden and her 'upset'  in order to highlight the plight of poor Kayleigh. 

Try a different approach.
blah blah blah

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #341 on: April 27, 2011, 07:58:07 PM »
I
Past history is an excuse why it'd be hard to change the habit of using different pronouns, but not an excuse to neglect them. I can understand you being bitter and disliking Kayleigh, but disrespect is disrespect, justified or not. Kayleigh's mistake was leading her on and marrying her. But you can't change the past. Justifying botty-burp on transsexualism upsetting a friend is about as much sense as being racist because a black man stole your wallet. It's not hard to treat a transgirl you hate the same as a cisgirl you hate.

Rissy,  I really hope that you realise that what you said here was insensitive to say the least.  You have stressed that you are tired and i do hope that is the reason.
Other than that you have made a lot of sense today.  You stormed the place,  and i think your entrance was cool. :thumbup:

"Kayleigh's mistake was leading her on and marrying her."    -  you say that so matter of fact, like it's OK to do that to someone.   
An expendable commodity.  You then  equate it to "upsetting a friend"  -  wtf?  now that is an outrageous understatement! 
They got married.  FFS. Big deal - it is to some!   You have just trivialised what should have been the most important and happy

Also i feel i should point out to you that Renaeden is an active member here.  Kayleigh is not.  You said yourself about 'getting out what you put in'
 -  well in the three months i been here Kayleigh has only bothered to post here to have a go at someone.  I imagine someone email's her if there is
any threads of this nature.  Anyway she appears, she misread everything and just has a tantrum. That is her contribution. 

You appear to trivialise Renaeden and her 'upset'  in order to highlight the plight of poor Kayleigh. 

+1

Celticgoddess

« Reply #342 on: April 27, 2011, 08:03:22 PM »
I

:agreed:

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #343 on: April 27, 2011, 08:07:24 PM »
I

:plus:

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #344 on: April 27, 2011, 08:41:16 PM »
I

Rissy,  I really hope that you realise that what you said here was insensitive to say the least.  You have stressed that you are tired and i do hope that is the reason.
Other than that you have made a lot of sense today.  You stormed the place,  and i think your entrance was cool. :thumbup:
 above statement not so cool.   :thumbdn:

"Kayleigh's mistake was leading her on and marrying her."    -  you say that so matter of fact, like it's OK to do that to someone.  
An expendable commodity.  You then  equate it to "upsetting a friend"  -  wtf?  now that is an outrageous understatement!  
They got married.  FFS. Big deal - it is to some!   You have just trivialised what should have been the most important and happy
event in her life!  I cannot begin to imagine how she must feel.

Also i feel i should point out to you that Renaeden is an active member here.  Kayleigh is not.  You said yourself about 'getting out what you put in'
 -  well in the three months i been here Kayleigh has only bothered to post here to have a go at someone.  I imagine someone email's her if there is
any threads of this nature.  Anyway she appears, she misread everything and just has a tantrum. That is her contribution.  
So, going back to 'getting out what you put in'   ....do you see?  

You appear to trivialise Renaeden and her 'upset'  in order to highlight the plight of poor Kayleigh.  

I doubt they have any approach better than obfuscation, manipulation and distortion, Bodaccea. It's too much to ask for. :zoinks:
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.