Author Topic: People's views regarding transpeople  (Read 15750 times)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: People's views regarding transpeople
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2011, 12:51:48 PM »
I was oozing sarcasm. I see all this as a big joke. :laugh:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2011, 12:52:56 PM »
OK I agree with you then, except I don't see religion as being in the same category. I see it in the same kinda area as political persuasion

I mean, it's alright to attack nazis, right?  (and no I'm not saying christians or muslims are as bad as or similar to nazis - that is an extreme example)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2011, 12:55:36 PM »
Does it matter, Soph? Just do what you feel is right.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2011, 12:57:35 PM »
I don't think it matters. But I will definitely stand my corner if i think I'm being accused of being a hypocrite

But yeah, it doesn't matter really. My position here isn't gonna change I don't think

midlifeaspie

« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »
OK I agree with you then, except I don't see religion as being in the same category. I see it in the same kinda area as political persuasion

I mean, it's alright to attack nazis, right?  (and no I'm not saying christians or muslims are as bad as or similar to nazis - that is an extreme example)

So, you feel it is possible for you to choose your political persuasion?  If you wanted to you could become a social conservative?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2011, 01:00:01 PM »

I mean, it's alright to attack nazis, right?  (and no I'm not saying christians or muslims are as bad as or similar to nazis - that is an extreme example)

So, you feel it is possible for you to choose your political persuasion?  If you wanted to you could become a social conservative?

It's not about choice here - it's about whether it is WHO a person is or WHAT a person is. Someone's political or religious beliefs say somethign about WHO they are.

You are tellign me you don't judge someone if they are a nazi?

midlifeaspie

« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2011, 01:00:46 PM »

I mean, it's alright to attack nazis, right?  (and no I'm not saying christians or muslims are as bad as or similar to nazis - that is an extreme example)

It's not about choice here - it's about whether it is WHO a person is or WHAT a person is. Someone's political or religious beliefs say somethign about WHO they are.

I will answer your question when you actually answer mine.  :autism:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2011, 01:01:59 PM »

I will answer your question when you actually answer mine.  :autism:

I didn't tthink you actually seriously expected an answer, sorry - No, I probably couldn't choose to become socially conservative. But again, that's beside the point

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2011, 01:13:54 PM »

Why do you insist on defining groups to attack?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2011, 01:15:54 PM »
I don't

iirc you were the one who brought up muslims earlier in the thread. And seemed to be accusing me of being a hypocrite for being against transphobia but thinking it's ok to take the piss out of muslims.

I'm explaining why I think there's a difference between attacking who someone is and what someone is

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2011, 01:16:13 PM »

GA's fanaticism about something he probably should be a little more secure about tells me a lot about WHO he is.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #191 on: April 26, 2011, 01:17:47 PM »
I don't

iirc you were the one who brought up muslims earlier in the thread. And seemed to be accusing me of being a hypocrite for being against transphobia but thinking it's ok to take the piss out of muslims.

I'm explaining why I think there's a difference between attacking who someone is and what someone is

A difference that you think is there but I don't. Bigotry remains the same regardless of what or whom you attack.

- Albert Einstein

midlifeaspie

« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2011, 01:18:05 PM »
I didn't tthink you actually seriously expected an answer, sorry - No, I probably couldn't choose to become socially conservative. But again, that's beside the point

Whether you can see it or not, it is exactly on point.  It is just as difficult (or impossible) for a religious Muslim to change their world view as it is for you to change yours.  You will want to argue about which world view is "right" or more intellectual or where the view comes from or how it is formed, but these are all irrelevant points when it comes down to changing them.  If we admit that these views are unlikely to change, how are they any less inherent to the person than their gender or sexuality?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2011, 01:18:40 PM »

So, you feel it is possible for you to choose your political persuasion?  If you wanted to you could become a social conservative?

GA's fanaticism about something he probably should be a little more secure about tells me a lot about WHO he is.

That's her individually though. Like I've said already, there's nothing wrong with criticising a person for their beliefs or views or how they act. That's not transphobia.

Also, while I personally think she is actually pretty secure now bout how she is, it wouldn't be surprising for a trans person to be insecure imo, given how it is treated by society

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2011, 01:19:01 PM »
I don't

A difference that you think is there but I don't. Bigotry remains the same regardless of what or whom you attack.

Including nazis?