Educational

Poll

What do you do when approached by a beggar/ homeless person asking for some spare change?

cross over the road to avoid being asked
2 (14.3%)
stop and give any loose change you may have
6 (42.9%)
stick your nose up and ignore them
0 (0%)
pretend you are on your mobile and simply can't hear them
0 (0%)
say 'fuck off'
0 (0%)
say 'fuck off' and give em a quick pisser round their head
0 (0%)
return with a pack of sandwiches you just bought (at least they cant spend your money on meths/fags but you still 'gave'
1 (7.1%)
stop and chat to see if they 'deserve' your help
0 (0%)
just simply say 'sorry mate i got none quite politely
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Do you 'walk on by' ?  (Read 915 times)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: Do you 'walk on by' ?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 08:51:49 PM »
Not a whole lot of that around here, and I don't get out much either.

I normally give something though.

When I worked at a small convenience store years ago we'd get maybe 1 or 2 hitching with a backpack, some I'd catch digging in the trash for food. Used to sneak them in when the store emptied out some and stock them up with whatever I could afford to buy them (I'd normally kept $20 or so on me at work).

Caught the store owner doing the same thing a couple of times.  :laugh:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 09:15:32 PM »
I have never seen people begging for money at intersections before. I don't think that happens over here.

I have given a teenager 50 cents once and then later she and about five of her friends tried to mug me. They didn't get my wallet off me but I hurt my knee pretty badly when they shoved me onto the ground. Then they gave up and left me alone.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Osensitive1

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 09:16:29 PM »
That's terrible.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 02:31:08 AM »
I'd say no, or if possible just ignore them.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 02:50:47 AM »
My parent's would never stop, they used to grab my hand and pull me away when i was little.
My Mom especially used to live by 'charity begins at home'  and she used to say stuff like 'it's
there own fault they are on the streets'

I adopted this attitude until i actually spoke to a few of them.  Struck me quite suddenly that
not all people were brought up like me.  I was lucky, my parents were loving and kind and worked
hard to get us what we needed.   I remember every year my Dad would save a tenner a week
so we could go on holiday.  I was ignorant to the fact that a lot of kids don't get this start.

I try and think 'how many wrong corners would i have to turn?' to end up in that position.? It
is a scary thought.  I am more generous if the weather is freezing.  Gave my coat to a young
girl once it was snowing and she looked like she was going blue.  

Like Parts said - if they got a dog i try to give them something too.  Also buskers, if they are
half decent.

I agree totally about sitting in traffic in your car.  I had my bag taken off the front passanger
seat once while i was at red lights.  I always keep my doors locked and my windows up
now.
blah blah blah

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 02:54:52 AM »
I agree totally about sitting in traffic in your car.  I had my bag taken off the front passanger
seat once while i was at red lights.  I always keep my doors locked and my windows up
now.

That sucks. :(

But that is why dummy purses should be invented with a high-powered ink bomb inside them (with optional remote detonator). Watch that thief turn into a smurf in no time! :zoinks:
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 03:34:21 AM »
now.

That sucks. :(

But that is why dummy purses should be invented with a high-powered ink bomb inside them (with optional remote detonator). Watch that thief turn into a smurf in no time! :zoinks:
:good: :rofl:
blah blah blah

Binty

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 06:41:39 AM »
I hate people who treat the homeless and beggars like scum. 

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2011, 06:46:39 AM »

If they're legitimately in need that's one thing.  I had some guy downtown badger me for "spare change," then as I was taking it out
he said it was so he could buy cigarettes.  At that time I worked six evenings a week in addition to the day job and resented being
pressured by this threatening man to provide him with smokes.  Was he homeless?  I don't know.  I just hate being accosted like that.
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Binty

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2011, 06:52:07 AM »

If they're legitimately in need that's one thing.  I had some guy downtown badger me for "spare change," then as I was taking it out
he said it was so he could buy cigarettes.  At that time I worked six evenings a week in addition to the day job and resented being
pressured by this threatening man to provide him with smokes.  Was he homeless?  I don't know.  I just hate being accosted like that.

Who are we to judge if they're "legitimately" in need?  Surely if they had to stoop so low as to beg, they're in need?  I don't like being accosted either but sometimes people's circumstances are desperate.

I agree, sometimes there are assholes but more often than not, it's desperate people having to resort to desperate measures.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2011, 06:57:30 AM »

Who are we to judge if they're "legitimately" in need?  Surely if they had to stoop so low as to beg, they're in need?  I don't like being accosted either but sometimes people's circumstances are desperate.

I agree, sometimes there are assholes but more often than not, it's desperate people having to resort to desperate measures.

But sometimes it's just well-dressed, able-bodied people hanging around on the street or at the mall seeing how much money they can get.
I once gave "bus fare" to a young guy who then continued walking down the street, past the bus stop, and I realized I'd probably been
ripped off.  His coat was way nicer than mine.  I don't think he was homeless.  I have helped people, I just hate feeling played.

People forget.

Binty

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 07:04:19 AM »

But sometimes it's just well-dressed, able-bodied people hanging around on the street or at the mall seeing how much money they can get.
I once gave "bus fare" to a young guy who then continued walking down the street, past the bus stop, and I realized I'd probably been
ripped off.  His coat was way nicer than mine.  I don't think he was homeless.  I have helped people, I just hate feeling played.

As I said, I don't mean those who are assholes.  Then, again appearances can be deceiving.  I remember when I was thrown out of my house and got caught on the tube for using a child's travel card to get to college, the guy who caught me said I didn't look homeless.  But after we had a long talk and I showed him how I had all my possessions on my back and the housing sheet I had, he believed me and even slipped me some money when his supervisor wasn't looking.

I guess I'm not cynical enough when it comes to things like this.  I don't mind though.  I like believing that there are decent and honest people still left out there :P

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2011, 07:07:16 AM »
 It's good to want to help.  I'm glad you had help too, when you needed it.  I will keep your story in mind in the future.   :)

People forget.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 02:00:14 PM »
I try not to think about whether it's truly justifiable or not.  I understand why others do though.

If I didn't have the parents I did, I would have been there myself a few times already. Between health issues and being a spazz I've never exactly been an employers dream.

Most employer's want someone that can do any task, work any shift, and someone that almost never needs to call off sick, if you are anything less sometimes you're fucked. When my dad had to have heart surgery at age 40, and was laid-off as a result because he couldn't work up to the full capacity that he had been, trust me, they never looked once at the 20 some years of time he had in or the fact that he would fight his way 10 miles through an ice storm to get to work when the other employees who lived less than a mile away would call off. 

We weren't very far from losing it all. It can happen to anyone at anytime, I don't think anyone is truly immune.

I figure if I give something to someone and it's wasted, it's their karma, not mine. As long as "I" can sleep good at the end of the day, I don't care. :laugh:

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 02:58:30 PM »
I try not to think about whether it's truly justifiable or not.  I understand why others do though.

If I didn't have the parents I did, I would have been there myself a few times already. Between health issues and being a spazz I've never exactly been an employers dream.

Most employer's want someone that can do any task, work any shift, and someone that almost never needs to call off sick, if you are anything less sometimes you're fucked. When my dad had to have heart surgery at age 40, and was laid-off as a result because he couldn't work up to the full capacity that he had been, trust me, they never looked once at the 20 some years of time he had in or the fact that he would fight his way 10 miles through an ice storm to get to work when the other employees who lived less than a mile away would call off. 

We weren't very far from losing it all. It can happen to anyone at anytime, I don't think anyone is truly immune.

I figure if I give something to someone and it's wasted, it's their karma, not mine. As long as "I" can sleep good at the end of the day, I don't care. :laugh:

That is a good outlook IQ :thumbup:  nearly been 'there'  myself too,  i am an expert of fighting off court house repossessions :zoinks:  and can play
'dodge the bailif' like an expert!
blah blah blah