Educational

Author Topic: Question for PeterMac - or anyone who knows Glasgow  (Read 1476 times)

duncvis

Re: Question for PeterMac - or anyone who knows Glasgow
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2006, 06:31:13 AM »
There actually is another language in Scotland, Gaelic. It's a Celtic language, that was spoken before the English conquered Scotland.

English with a Scottish accent is pretty easy to imitate. You just make strong "r"s and speak the vowels in the back of your mouth.
it always seems like they are trying to talk with a cock in their mouth.

you wish, at least where Eamonn's concerned.  :evillaugh:

Litigious

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2006, 06:34:53 AM »
I think American English is based upon accents from Yorkshire the way there were spoken in the 16th century. Maine is probably the part of the US where the pronounciation is most like the old one. I think.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2006, 06:36:03 AM »
There actually is another language in Scotland, Gaelic. It's a Celtic language, that was spoken before the English conquered Scotland.

English with a Scottish accent is pretty easy to imitate. You just make strong "r"s and speak the vowels in the back of your mouth.
it always seems like they are trying to talk with a cock in their mouth.

you wish, at least where Eamonn's concerned.  :evillaugh:

yes ma'am.  oh to have eamonn close by so i can hold him, and have him choke on my cock.
Misunderstood.

ozymandias

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2006, 07:12:42 AM »
I think American English is based upon accents from Yorkshire the way there were spoken in the 16th century. Maine is probably the part of the US where the pronounciation is most like the old one. I think.

Certain parts of Maine, still have the strong Maine "accent", Ayuh!  Nah if yu'll excuse me, Ah have to gu dawn to the Hahbah and check ma fishin boat so I can ketch some Lobstah fah suppah.

**ozymandias waves back to Pyraxis**

Litigious

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2006, 07:15:58 AM »

Certain parts of Maine, still have the strong Maine "accent", Ayuh!  Nah if yu'll excuse me, Ah have to gu dawn to the Hahbah and check ma fishin boat so I can ketch some Lobstah fah suppah.

Sounds very much like Yorkshire accent, actually. Damned, what good I am!  :book:

Eamonn

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2006, 11:03:06 AM »

We are part of a union with England not conquered by them. The EU never conquored us either we joined up by consent. Pyraxis, you must surely be able to get cheap accomodation closer to Glasgow than Kilsyth, like the Euro-hostel or a cheap hotel. If all else fails im sure Peter wouldnt mind going head-to-toe with you, though i hear he's a perv and not too keen on washing himself. Awrrrra best.

ozymandias

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2006, 03:14:17 PM »

Sounds very much like Yorkshire accent, actually. Damned, what good I am!  :book:

Thats interesting! 8)  I never knew that before!

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2006, 08:39:09 PM »
Pyraxis im really glad you arrived safely as i had been wondering but didnt send another PM as i didnt think youd get it, its great you found a B&B, i had tried more of those guest houses etc for you but i had the same result as you, they were all booked up too with it being near xmas, its handy you finally found one in Kilsyth near your workplace. I hope the flat hunting goes well, dont know if any of those flats were suitable, but i will keep my eye out for any more listings for you, and if you get into any bother whilst your here, or need any help with anything, even stuff you might feel stupid asking anyone etc you know how to contact me.

Im happy to break the news Litigious that Gaelic isnt anywhere near a common spoken language here in Scotland (thank fuck) with the exception of the tiny percentage on shitty little islands and stuff who are stuck in the dark age with nothing better to do with their time, who usually come across like fuckwits, with zero personality, zero charisma and zero intelligence, oh and those pathetic little mumsy nerdy teachers that go from an island to another part of Scotland and want to teach the primary school kids Gaelic and reinstate it, be patriotic or something (the kind of teachers you wonder how they became qualified because theyre so stupid). Gaelic is nasty it has to be one of the most coma inducing languages out (seriously). Thank the gods the majority of Scots had the common sense to ditch it and nott allow it to make a big comeback.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 08:48:32 PM by Hypnotica_Gaze »

duncvis

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2006, 04:23:28 AM »

Thats interesting! 8)  I never knew that before!

From what I've heard of it, its absolutely nothing like a Yorkshire accent. :LMAO:

Litigious

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2006, 04:46:57 AM »

Im happy to break the news Litigious that Gaelic isnt anywhere near a common spoken language here in Scotland

I didn't say it was common, I just said that such a language exists.

Litigious

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2006, 04:50:28 AM »

From what I've heard of it, its absolutely nothing like a Yorkshire accent. :LMAO:

I think it's more like a Yorkshire accent than "standard" American English. But English isn't my native language, so I can't be 100% sure.

duncvis

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2006, 05:27:39 AM »
I have to say I'm no expert on Swedish accents either. I'm a Yorkshireman with an interest in the variation of accents locally - <ramble - skip this bit if not remotely interested>the Yorkshire intonation is short and flat of vowel and quite closed mouthed - the 'ah bah etc' is not a feature of how we talk as that would be too expressive. The local differences are mainly in 'broadness' and how nasal (for example, the 'Bratferd' accent is pretty nasal and easily confused with the Mancunian accent, while Dewsbury ten miles down the road has a much broader accent with deep vowels and not nasal), but the basic features are the same. Interestingly, a fair few of the place names and old dialect words in Yorkshire are Norse derived (including York itself, which was Jorvik).</shite>

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2006, 05:29:32 AM »
What is in a accent I have spoken with a real Southern Draw when I lived in Florida as a child. When I moved to North Dakota for awhile I sounded different for sure.
Guardian of the Empire

Litigious

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2006, 05:38:55 AM »
I have to say I'm no expert on Swedish accents either. I'm a Yorkshireman with an interest in the variation of accents locally - <ramble - skip this bit if not remotely interested>the Yorkshire intonation is short and flat of vowel and quite closed mouthed - the 'ah bah etc' is not a feature of how we talk as that would be too expressive. The local differences are mainly in 'broadness' and how nasal (for example, the 'Bratferd' accent is pretty nasal and easily confused with the Mancunian accent, while Dewsbury ten miles down the road has a much broader accent with deep vowels and not nasal), but the basic features are the same. Interestingly, a fair few of the place names and old dialect words in Yorkshire are Norse derived (including York itself, which was Jorvik).</shite>

I live in the same Swedish county as odeon, but pretty far away from him. If he's been living where he lives now for all or most of his life, you'd probably think that our accents were pretty the same, if you ever happened to meet the two of us. People from my or his area would think differently, though.

Litigious

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2006, 05:40:25 AM »
What is in a accent I have spoken with a real Southern Draw when I lived in Florida as a child. When I moved to North Dakota for awhile I sounded different for sure.

Some people change their accents if they live in another place a couple of years, some don't. Some Swedes forget many Swedish words when living in the US for many years and rarely speaking Swedish, while others speak perfectly Swedish after decades abroad.