Educational

Author Topic: Question for PeterMac - or anyone who knows Glasgow  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Question for PeterMac - or anyone who knows Glasgow
« on: October 31, 2006, 01:14:51 PM »
So I'm talking to an animation studio in Glasgow for a potential job and I need to figure out some things.

How well would I be living on 15k GBP (28.5k US / 22.3k Euros)

How hard is it to get around Glasgow without a car?

What's the rent on a studio or 1-bedroom apartment?

Also does anyone know anything about passports and work permits? I have an expired child's UK passport and a current valid USA passport. I've gone hunting online and haven't been able to figure out what I need to do to get a current UK passport. Whether I need a birth certificate from my mother to demonstrate my citizenship or whether the expired passport would be enough. How much I have to sort out on my own and how much I should expect the company to help me with.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

richard

Re: Question for PeterMac - or anyone who knows Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 02:59:41 PM »
congratulations on getting out of the usa, i wish i could get out.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 03:01:32 PM »
Hey, I don't have the job yet, I just have a preliminary email saying they might be interested in me.

Can anyone tell me how health care and health insurance works in the UK? Is it a thing provided by the company you work for, like in the USA, or is it automatic to everyone like Canada, or something else?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

richard

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 03:03:57 PM »
well i hope you get whatever is best for you and you want. i could be happy anywhere else on the planet besides the usa, the middle east, africa and indanasia.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 04:58:44 PM »
Health care in the UK is different to the US- we have a national health service.  Basically all medical treatment is free and you only need health insurance if you want private treatment.  If you need medication there is a flat free for prescriptions (currently £6.65 for each item).
Dental treatment works a little differently- there are NHS dentists (with this you pay what's probably a minimal amount for treatment compared to the US-e.g. for a routine check up currently costs £5.84 and there is a maximum price for a course of treatment of £384), however NHS dentists who are taking new patients are becoming rarer so you may have to go private (you can get a private yearly dental plan).

Its rare for you to get private health/dental care included in your job package over here though. 

As for the wages £15k a year is pretty low- for comparison a starting graduate level job is around £20K.

I could be wrong, not living in Glasgow, but a quick look at one bedroom flats to rent around Glasgow suggests that you're going to be paying £400+ a month rent.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 05:01:22 PM by purposefulinsanity »

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 08:48:31 PM »
Thanks, PI - that's really helpful.

If an apartment is called a flat over there, what's the UK word for a studio? In the USA it means a one-room apartment with kitchen facilities as part of the main room.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 03:12:22 AM »
it's either a studio or a bedsit, pyraxis.  it'd be cheaper for you to look for a room in a shared house, although that involves other people...

i live on a lot less than 15K a year, although i only have a small mortgage, which is about the same as rent on a room in a shared house.

passports (if you already have a british passport):  http://www.passport.gov.uk/index.asp   they're really helpful if you contact them with enquiries.

work permit (for foreign nationals):  http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/content/working_in_the_uk/en/homepage.html

you're probably on your own as far as sorting things out is concerned.  someone might help you out of "being nice"-ness, but there's no official help, unless there's a relocation package stipulated:  ask whether it's possible for you to have help with relocation (i very much doubt it, at that salary level, though).

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 04:23:51 AM »

i live on a lot less than 15K a year, although i only have a small mortgage, which is about the same as rent on a room in a shared house.

You can live off £15K, but for a full-time, skilled job its a pretty low wage.

thepeaguy

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 11:49:24 AM »
Hey, I don't have the job yet, I just have a preliminary email saying they might be interested in me.

And I was about to send you a good luck message for the move today. :p

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 09:45:38 PM »
Pyraxis, If you need further help or anymore info or simply just need someone to look out for decent but nicely priced accomodation ie the right place to meet a certain budget in the right area or whatever, just compile a list and give me a PM or something as i live in Glasgow, im about 15mins drive from the town centre.

Good luck and dont hesitate asking for help if you need it. If i can help i will.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 09:52:01 PM by Hypnotica_Gaze »

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 11:32:58 AM »
 :) Thanks, HG - if I do get the job, I'll let you know. Iit would be cool to have help finding a place to stay.

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 11:55:14 AM »
No probs at all.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 03:07:39 PM »
I got the job offer!!!!!!

If all goes well, as soon as I can get my passport application through, I'll be spending the next year in Glasgow. Now comes the crazy planning stage - once I figure out a budget I'll need to do apartment hunting, decide what I have to take, etc, etc.

But first -  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

thepeaguy

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 03:09:08 PM »
I got the job offer!!!!!!

If all goes well, as soon as I can get my passport application through, I'll be spending the next year in Glasgow. Now comes the crazy planning stage - once I figure out a budget I'll need to do apartment hunting, decide what I have to take, etc, etc.

But first -  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm sure that the neds there will be very accomodating. :p

Give my dad's cousin, Shuggy, my best.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 03:12:47 PM by Shameless »

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 03:21:42 PM »
Wow, congratulations, Pyraxis.  :party: :crowd:  ;D