Author Topic: Nuclear power  (Read 1067 times)

Scrapheap

Re: Nuclear power
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 08:56:16 PM »
I'm about 50 miles away from the Diablo Canyon Nucular Power Plant.  ;)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 10:20:55 PM »
Three Mile Island is a little over 200 miles away. Might explain some of the nutcases running around. :laugh:

I don't think it would bother me, although I doubt I'd enjoy viewing it from the backyard.

Probably have a better chance of getting hit by a bus.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 12:14:51 AM »
There used to be a nuclear power plant in Colorado but it was shut down in 1992 because of reliability issues, which made it no longer cost effective.

I would prefer not to live near a nuclear power plant.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 01:21:24 AM »
There are no nuclear power plants in Australia whatsoever. Only the nuclear reactor at Lucas Heights.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 03:12:35 AM »
I've lived less than 6 km from one, now dismantled. The plant did not scare me. I am worried about the waste product of nuclear plants though. 
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 03:59:43 AM »
I'd rather live beside a nuclear plant than a coal-burning plant, and I'd live beside either one if it was the only alternative to living in a cave with no electricity.

A lot of modern fossil fuel power plants are fairly clean due to extensive filtration systems.

And modern reactor designs are very safe, so I'd still take a modern nuclear plant over a modern coal plant.  If nothing else, the nuclear plant would probably be quieter, since there wouldn't be thousands of tonnes of fuel being delivered to it every day.

It still has to dump radioactive waste regardless, no matter how safe it is. Extremely difficult to dispose of it without affecting the environment around it, along with various political and ethical issues among people who probably live near them. Normally not an environmentalist, but the trouble of Sellafield dumping waste into the Irish sea comes into mind.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:01:20 AM by Schleed »

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 04:01:52 AM »
I'd rather live beside a nuclear plant than a coal-burning plant, and I'd live beside either one if it was the only alternative to living in a cave with no electricity.

A lot of modern fossil fuel power plants are fairly clean due to extensive filtration systems.

And modern reactor designs are very safe, so I'd still take a modern nuclear plant over a modern coal plant.  If nothing else, the nuclear plant would probably be quieter, since there wouldn't be thousands of tonnes of fuel being delivered to it every day.

It still has to dump radioactive waste regardless, no matter how safe it is. Extremely difficult to dispose of it without affecting the environment around it. Normally not an environmentalist, but the trouble of Sellafield dumping waste into the Irish sea comes into mind.

Yup, and leaks in a saltmine, leading too radioactive salt water, in Germany is not very encouraging.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 04:19:56 PM »
There's a nuclear power plant not that far from here, in Lancashire anyway (I live in Lancashire)

We are still protesting against a planned incinerator a few hundred metres away

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 08:29:23 PM »
There are no nuclear power plants in Australia whatsoever. Only the nuclear reactor at Lucas Heights.
I never knew about the nuclear reactor. And I have no idea where Lucas Heights is. I will look it up.

Edit: Looked it up, it is near Sydney. If they were going to build one here there would be an uproar. People are scared about things they don't know about.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:40:41 PM by renaeden »
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Scrapheap

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 09:26:45 PM »
... People are scared about things they don't know about.

Ain't that the story of the whole human race.  ::)

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 08:23:23 AM »
I never knew about the nuclear reactor. And I have no idea where Lucas Heights is. I will look it up.

Edit: Looked it up, it is near Sydney. If they were going to build one here there would be an uproar. People are scared about things they don't know about.

I think the Lucas Heights reactor is an experimental reactor for purposes of research and creating radioactive isotopes for medical use.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 08:11:58 PM »

I lived about 30 miles (about 48 kilometers) from one for about five years. Didn't bother me at all.

P7PSP

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 12:11:54 AM »
I would live by one. Hell, I used to work on nuclear powered Fast Attack submarines.  :thumbup:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 12:27:55 AM »
I would live by one. Hell, I used to work on nuclear powered Fast Attack submarines.  :thumbup:

"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

P7PSP

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 12:29:51 AM »
That ^^^ was a pretty decent song.  :2thumbsup: