Educational

Author Topic: Nuclear power  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Nuclear power
« on: March 17, 2011, 02:25:59 PM »
With all the problems lately would you? Also how close is the nearest one to you now?

I still would.  What happened in Japan I don't think are the equivalent of the perfect storm not to say they should take that for granted.  The plants need to be monitored and run by very strict standards but I feel they are safe.   That being said I have two in my state one 48 miles away the other 35 miles.  They built one almost directly across Long Island sound from where I live but due to defects in the construction it was never fueled.  I also in college lived only about 6 miles from one and used to watch nuclear submarines going up and down the river to the sub base from the dining hall. 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

Re: Nuclear power
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 02:55:59 PM »
I live 150 kilometers from one (90 English miles). I'm not afraid.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 02:58:06 PM »
I would but not 'stonesthrow' close.  I think twenty miles away would be cool.  After the recent events in Japan i think all nuclear power stations ought to have a non residential area around them of a few miles.

If i had to look at one every day i would worry about it!
blah blah blah

TheoK

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 03:02:24 PM »
When Chernobyl blew up the contamination even reached parts of Sweden, so I think 90 English miles is pretty  :viking: even if it's not that close.

Though Swedish plants are extremely safe compared to Russians.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 03:11:57 PM »
There's none in Ireland so I don't need to worry about any potential meltdowns/china syndromes. :zoinks:

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 03:13:24 PM »
I'd rather live beside a nuclear plant than a coal-burning plant, and I'd live beside either one if it was the only alternative to living in a cave with no electricity.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

TheoK

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 03:15:34 PM »
Living in a cave is  :viking:

Though I think living by the best 19th Century standards wouldn't be that bad.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 03:22:19 PM »
I'd rather live beside a nuclear plant than a coal-burning plant, and I'd live beside either one if it was the only alternative to living in a cave with no electricity.

A lot of modern fossil fuel power plants are fairly clean due to extensive filtration systems.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 04:59:59 PM »
I missed one Indian Point is only 38 miles from NYC and 45 miles from me.  I don't worry about it all much then again I have two dose meters and a Geiger counter in case there are problems :green: I used to go on Groton Sub base with some navy people I knew to get cheep booze at the PX and they have nukes there

George Bernard Shaw

Osensitive1

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 05:07:56 PM »
No idea of there's any around.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 05:14:53 PM »
No idea of there's any around.

I am very much a be prepared type person and have to know what around.  It's not just nuclear plants I know where all the local gas and oil storage sites, gas pipe lines and places that use dangerous chemicals in bulk are.  Civil defense has always been an obsession of mine I think I caught it from my grandfather who was one of the people charged with over seeing the programs in the city I grew up in

George Bernard Shaw

Osensitive1

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 05:20:53 PM »
Looked and the closest is over one hundred miles away. Not sure if that's far enough to be good or bad though.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 05:25:18 PM »
Probably a lot depends on the wind direction.   If anything ever happens is NYC where I live is in a bad spot

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 06:14:34 PM »

A lot of modern fossil fuel power plants are fairly clean due to extensive filtration systems.

And modern reactor designs are very safe, so I'd still take a modern nuclear plant over a modern coal plant.  If nothing else, the nuclear plant would probably be quieter, since there wouldn't be thousands of tonnes of fuel being delivered to it every day.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 06:23:44 PM »

And modern reactor designs are very safe, so I'd still take a modern nuclear plant over a modern coal plant.  If nothing else, the nuclear plant would probably be quieter, since there wouldn't be thousands of tonnes of fuel being delivered to it every day.

I have a coal power plant two towns away a bunch of Greenpeace people were arrested there about a month ago.  Also have a trash to energy plant next to that one and a gas one and another gas one being built in my town.

George Bernard Shaw