Author Topic: Setting up a fish tank!  (Read 296 times)

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
Setting up a fish tank!
« on: February 05, 2011, 11:56:28 AM »
I started doing it on Thursday. Letting the water sit and stuff. Yesterday I went out and got some red,white and blue gravel.  I'm going to make it republitank! When I go on an off island trip to a store where they have better fish I'm gonna
get a big fat one and name is Rush, name the two my mom is giving me from her tank, Reagan and Nixon, i'll have another one and name it Bush. Than I'll name one AL GORE. Than the republifish can feel all biased and paranoid about gorefish.

I'm going to sanitise my military toys that chuki got for us to burn. We got plenty! so i'll take a helecoper and a tank
than a few army men and i'm set! I need the silicone epoxy stuff thats specail for fish tanks or it'll float and ill get mad.
If the tanks cant go in i' gonna get a fucking teapot anda ceramic elepant. My mom said she's find those for me!

I want a snail as well. My mom had one in the daycare she manages at and that thing was so active. It moved fast.
It would go to the top ofthe tank and freefall. If my snail gets all ADHD  like that i'm gonna tap in  some of my biphentin  >:D
Park.

Scrapheap

Re: Setting up a fish tank!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 12:19:17 PM »
You should talk to Peter about this.

He has a ton of experience, it would seem.

Osensitive1

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 01:05:03 PM »
Sounds like fun. Are democrats allowed in the republitank? Gore might try to keep it cleaner though. Early is right, Peter would know. The toys sound bad, if they have any metal parts, but the teapot sounds like a great idea. Snails can be problematic.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 01:16:49 PM »
What kinds of fish are you planning to put in your fish tank and what size is the tank, Gluey?

Do you have an aquarium filter?

IMO, it's a good idea to start your aquarium with the two fish your mom is giving you from her tank and let the beneficial bacteria build up for awhile to take care of the ammonia and other waste products before adding more fish.

I have a twenty gallon freshwater tank with two large Comet goldfish.  One of them was a little gold feeder goldfish my daughter's teacher gave her in the first grade, although it's grown quite large now, and the other is a red and white calico goldfish from a fish store we bought to replace another Comet who died by jumping out of a bucket onto the floor a few years ago while I was doing a thorough cleaning of the tank.

DukeNukem

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 04:21:13 PM »
I heard that pissing and shitting in an aquarium will give the fish some valuable nutrients! :zoinks:

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 04:31:21 PM »
Sounds like fun. Are democrats allowed in the republitank? Gore might try to keep it cleaner though. Early is right, Peter would know. The toys sound bad, if they have any metal parts, but the teapot sounds like a great idea. Snails can be problematic.

There are advantages and disadvantages to keeping snails in a tank.  They produce a lot of waste, which increases the load on the biological filter, but they're great for keeping the glass clean.  When I've had well-lit snail-less tanks, I had to clean the glass every few days to remove the algae on it, whereas tanks with snails in them only require occasional maintenance.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 04:45:47 PM »
I heard that pissing and shitting in an aquarium will give the fish some valuable nutrients! :zoinks:

I added some piss to one of my ponds when I filled it back up recently after draining it to do some major work on it, in order to help get the nitrogen cycle back up and running before I added any animals to the pond.  Denitrifying bacteria colonise the solid surfaces in ponds and aquariums and convert nitrogenous waste products into less toxic substances, and it can take several months for a pond or aquarium to become fully colonised, but the process can be sped up by adding some nitrogenous waste and a source of denitrifying bacteria (urine and dirty water from my tanks, in my case).
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Osensitive1

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 05:14:41 PM »

There are advantages and disadvantages to keeping snails in a tank.  They produce a lot of waste, which increases the load on the biological filter, but they're great for keeping the glass clean.  When I've had well-lit snail-less tanks, I had to clean the glass every few days to remove the algae on it, whereas tanks with snails in them only require occasional maintenance.
Always avoided them after reading they're asexual reproducers and can take over a tank.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 03:53:37 AM »

Always avoided them after reading they're asexual reproducers and can take over a tank.

They don't reproduce asexually, but they're hermaphrodites, so any two snails of the same species can breed, rather than requiring a male and a female.  They breed prolifically and can become very numerous, but their population is constrained by the amount of food that's available to them, so if you don't overfeed the fish in a tank, there won't be much for the snails to scavenge and their population will remain low.  Snails can also become food themselves; my axolotls snack on them from time to time.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 07:57:15 AM »
Hi Gluey, I found this link to a forum dedicated to keeping fish tanks to share with you:

http://www.myfishtank.net/