Author Topic: Snow  (Read 689 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Snow
« on: February 05, 2011, 06:40:51 PM »
Just curious so a question for those in snowy places.  This year we have had record snow fall and it's causing many problems.    There have been roof collapses , the piles in parking lots are up to 20 feet high and the roads are about 2/3 the normal width.  We get snow and are used to it just never this much so what do they do in places they get this much regularly   
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Scrapheap

Re: Snow
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:27:05 PM »
I don't see the point in living where it snows so much.

When I was working for John Force, they asked me if I wanted to move to the new shop in Brownsville Indiana (just outside of Indy), I said "no thanks".

If I had, this would be me now. ->  :snowing:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:59:09 PM »
Look at all the houses up in the mountains, not a shingled roof to be found.  All of them are metal and normally pitched at a steeper angle, everyone has a backup source of heat or power and stockpiles of canned goods and an alternate source of emergency transportation for the winter if they live there year round. We're not used to it, so we're not as prepared I guess.

I remember the blizzards in NY years ago, they used to plow in tandem & use loaders, trucking out the excess snow in dump trucks. I guess after awhile though you have to run out of places to dump it.  :zombiefuck:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 03:05:17 AM »
Look at all the houses up in the mountains, not a shingled roof to be found.  All of them are metal and normally pitched at a steeper angle, everyone has a backup source of heat or power and stockpiles of canned goods and an alternate source of emergency transportation for the winter if they live there year round. We're not used to it, so we're not as prepared I guess.

I remember the blizzards in NY years ago, they used to plow in tandem & use loaders, trucking out the excess snow in dump trucks. I guess after awhile though you have to run out of places to dump it.  :zombiefuck:

We're expecting another huge load of snow on Tuesday, and I don't know where the hell we're going to put it!  :zombiefuck:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 03:12:22 AM »
Just curious so a question for those in snowy places.  This year we have had record snow fall and it's causing many problems.    There have been roof collapses , the piles in parking lots are up to 20 feet high and the roads are about 2/3 the normal width.  We get snow and are used to it just never this much so what do they do in places they get this much regularly   

i dont know but here in uk we get a little light dusting and everything is chaos!  airports close,  motorways too,  the country comes to a complete stop while everyone whines  'ooh it hasn't been this bad since 1977'  its a complete joke.  some countries just handle it better i suppose.

i went to the shop and couldn't get any t-bags or table salt - because the crazy mo-fo's had been panic buying :screwy:
blah blah blah

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 03:15:13 AM »

i dont know but here in uk we get a little light dusting and everything is chaos!  airports close,  motorways too,  the country comes to a complete stop while everyone whines  'ooh it hasn't been this bad since 1977'  its a complete joke.  some countries just handle it better i suppose.

i went to the shop and couldn't get any t-bags or table salt - because the crazy mo-fo's had been panic buying :screwy:

My sister said she saw that kind of panic buying in the supermarket once, when a snowstorm was predicted.
A woman zoomed up the aisle with 12 loaves of Wonder bread in her cart, saying  "I don't have any food in the house!"    :GA:

People forget.

TheoK

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 03:29:15 AM »
It was lots of snow here until about three weeks ago. Now most of it has melted away.

They plow it up in big heaps. If it's really much of it, the pile it somewhere. In the older days they used to fill trucks with it and dump it into creeks and rivers, but that is considered not environmental-friendly enough nowadays.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:49:44 AM by TheoK »

P7PSP

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 04:27:51 AM »

People in most of California are snow pussies too. The folks up around the high Sierra foothills and Sierra proper handle it fine. This was taken the day before Thanksgiving 2010 @ Truckee. It was a bit of whiteout.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 04:31:12 AM »
They are trucking dump trucks full of it somewhere now and the state just gave them permission to dump it in Long Island Sound.  The piles are fucking huge though we get snow every year but never this much there is about two feet in my yard and a lot has melted already.  As far as the roofs go I have seen the metal ones further north on houses but the main problem here has been commercial l buildings with big flat roofs though houses are getting there too
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

P7PSP

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 04:56:20 AM »
They are trucking dump trucks full of it somewhere now and the state just gave them permission to dump it in Long Island Sound.  The piles are fucking huge though we get snow every year but never this much there is about two feet in my yard and a lot has melted already.  As far as the roofs go I have seen the metal ones further north on houses but the main problem here has been commercial l buildings with big flat roofs though houses are getting there too
When I lived in Utah in the mid 1980s a Harmon's grocery store with a flat roof collapsed under a bunch of snow.

Scrapheap

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 09:08:25 PM »
People in most of California are snow pussies too. The folks up around the high Sierra foothills and Sierra proper handle it fine. This was taken the day before Thanksgiving 2010 @ Truckee. It was a bit of whiteout.

Can you imagine what would happen if it snowed in L.A. or S.F. ??  :zoinks:

P7PSP

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 09:19:10 PM »
 :lol: They would piss themselves.

Scrapheap

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 09:21:21 PM »
People in Orange County would still drive 80-90 mph, and be unable to understand why they kept spinning out and wrecking!!!  :lol:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 11:59:51 PM »
:lol: They would piss themselves.

Even worse, their tans might fade!   :bigcry:

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 12:01:15 AM »
People in Orange County would still drive 80-90 mph, and be unable to understand why they kept spinning out and wrecking!!!  :lol:

:plus:   for putting a comical picture in my head!   :rofl:

People forget.