Author Topic: Killer chimp  (Read 905 times)

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Killer chimp
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 05:10:42 PM »
Oh yes of course, I wouldn't want them keeping wild animals. Often people that keep primates as pets or substitute kids actually forget how wild they are, because they have people hands and stuff they seem safe. But the opposite is true.

Oh but I would want to live by a zoo! Especially one's with gibbons, they have the nicest sounding calls.

Zoo's always make me sad. And when I went to Seaworld, that made me sad too, but my ex's nephew wanted to go there. I had to keep my mouth shut.

The only zoo I ever really liked was Great Western Plains zoo in Dubbo where the enclosures are designed to be inobtrusive and are like a savannah.

I know what you mean. At the zoo I'm always in a constant dilemma, I get excited at seeing my favourite animals right there in front of me, but I get so depressed and frustrated at where they are. Some of the zoos in America like San Diego look amazing and the enclosures look really big from the videos I've seen. But most of the ones in Britain are shite. At Twycross zoo where I went yesterday many enclosures are quite old, they said they are extending and building a really really big one for the chimpanzees, I can't wait. it's about time I think they've had the same enclosures for years. I do want to visit zoos still, because they need the money to do the extending and improving of the living quarters, if no one went they would run out. And I'd like to work in one, so I can take an active role in improving them and making sure that the animals live a good enough life and don't go round the twist with boredom.  But I still feel really guilty about being there.

Yes, I guess I see your point about trying to improve them. I have only ever gone under duress, I find it too distressing....almost like a prison camp is the best way to describe it.

Offline Enos

• Earliest Common Ancestor of the Aspie Elite
  • Frequent Poster
    • My facebook
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 05:16:48 PM »
Yes it is like a prison. But no crimes were ever committed, I guess the animals' only "crime" is being entertaining to swarms of annoying humans.
Swat PETA, not flies

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 08:21:41 PM »
I love giraffes, but the only time I've ever seen one was a depressing experience. I saw him in a pen at this huge sort of farm fair we have
every fall, called the Big E. Poor thing looked so out of his element. People were feeding him stuff, probably hot dogs and junk like that.
He was magnificent and should have been loping across a plain in Africa, not moping in a stupid little pen in Massachusetts.   :thumbdn:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 08:39:01 PM »
I love giraffes, but the only time I've ever seen one was a depressing experience. I saw him in a pen at this huge sort of farm fair we have
every fall, called the Big E. Poor thing looked so out of his element. People were feeding him stuff, probably hot dogs and junk like that.
He was magnificent and should have been loping across a plain in Africa, not moping in a stupid little pen in Massachusetts.   :thumbdn:

Yeah, I always find the Giraffe enclosure at Taronga in Sydney odd....gazillion dollar views, but not much use to a Giraffe.

The only thing remotely OK about this old city zoo is that they rotate with Great Western Plains zoo...so the animals do get some respite.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1c/Sydney_taronga_zoo.jpg

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 08:45:25 PM »

Yeah, I always find the Giraffe enclosure at Taronga in Sydney odd....gazillion dollar views, but not much use to a Giraffe.

The only thing remotely OK about this old city zoo is that they rotate with Great Western Plains zoo...so the animals do get some respite.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1c/Sydney_taronga_zoo.jpg

Dear, gawky creatures...they must look around and wonder where the hell they are!  :(
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 10:31:02 PM »
I think some animals are fine in zoos if their enclosures are very big, but then there are some others who will NEVER be ok in a zoo imo, like lions

I went to a zoo last year with my family for my brother's birthday

They do look after the animals at least, and they're not just in it for the money or something, but I do agree it's wrong. I also have the same dillemma thugh as I love seeing the animals and taking photos