What ones do you use?

Cloth
0 (0%)
Disposables
3 (50%)
Both
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Cloth or disposables?  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Cloth or disposables?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2011, 11:58:32 AM »
It doesn't take long to put them in the washing no. But once they're in there, you have to wait till it;s finished and other washing starts piling up

Your baby must be a good boy lol

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
You're eating the contents of a baby's nappy!

No, it's cake, really.  :hug:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2011, 12:02:02 PM »
Like I say, it doesn't take long to put a load in the washing machine. My mom did it all when we were kids and she used disposables but she did tons of laundry. Then you leave it be and let it wash and dry. But I like cleaning anyway and folding clothes. If you want to do it all later, just toss the clean linen on your bed and fold later after you get through with all the clothes unless you want to take longer to fold them all so you will mind as well do it after they get through drying. So you can still do other things as they are being washed and dried.

I can never understand how parents can say they don't have time for this or that or people saying it too. I find myself still doing the same things I did before and the books and internet make it sound like you have no time for nothing once the baby comes so you sit there and wonder "How am I going to shower?" "How am I going to clean and eat?" "How am I going to cook or put away groceries?" but you'd be surprised. Or maybe lot of women aren't smart enough to find ways around it. But I think women do find ways and find out they can still do things but they may be more limited but they can still get it done. Even if it means pausing their video game when their baby starts to get fussy or when it cries and then find they need to be changed or fed so they leave their game on pause or even finding they have to leave their chore to take care of their baby and get back to it later or finding it takes them five hours to make a post online because they had to calm their baby down and hold it and feed it and they got too distracted from the forum.

Hey I wonder how moms take care of their older kids when they have a new baby? Especially when they are very sore from giving birth. It's hard to get up and sit down and moving around and you can't run because it be very uncomfortable if you do so imagine having to chase your two year old? For a couple weeks I felt like a granny because I had to get up slowly and sit down slowly and I walked slower because I was sore down there and took pain medicine for it. I couldn't even wipe either and I had to dab down there. And even when you first get home, you are tired and exhausted so I wonder how mothers even do it when they have little ones running around and they have to stay up and take care of them? I am sure they get help for the first week after they come home but what about if they are on their own and they have no help because they don't have family living nearby?

I think that if a baby has colic and needs to be tended to most of the time, it's a lot harder to get other things done, including a shower for yourself, until he takes a nap.

It's very hard to chase a toddler soon after giving birth so I don't know how a single mom could do it all herself with no help in addition to recovering from the birth or surgery if she had a C-section.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2011, 12:05:39 PM »
Like I say, it doesn't take long to put a load in the washing machine. My mom did it all when we were kids and she used disposables but she did tons of laundry. Then you leave it be and let it wash and dry. But I like cleaning anyway and folding clothes. If you want to do it all later, just toss the clean linen on your bed and fold later after you get through with all the clothes unless you want to take longer to fold them all so you will mind as well do it after they get through drying. So you can still do other things as they are being washed and dried.

I can never understand how parents can say they don't have time for this or that or people saying it too. I find myself still doing the same things I did before and the books and internet make it sound like you have no time for nothing once the baby comes so you sit there and wonder "How am I going to shower?" "How am I going to clean and eat?" "How am I going to cook or put away groceries?" but you'd be surprised. Or maybe lot of women aren't smart enough to find ways around it. But I think women do find ways and find out they can still do things but they may be more limited but they can still get it done. Even if it means pausing their video game when their baby starts to get fussy or when it cries and then find they need to be changed or fed so they leave their game on pause or even finding they have to leave their chore to take care of their baby and get back to it later or finding it takes them five hours to make a post online because they had to calm their baby down and hold it and feed it and they got too distracted from the forum.

Hey I wonder how moms take care of their older kids when they have a new baby? Especially when they are very sore from giving birth. It's hard to get up and sit down and moving around and you can't run because it be very uncomfortable if you do so imagine having to chase your two year old? For a couple weeks I felt like a granny because I had to get up slowly and sit down slowly and I walked slower because I was sore down there and took pain medicine for it. I couldn't even wipe either and I had to dab down there. And even when you first get home, you are tired and exhausted so I wonder how mothers even do it when they have little ones running around and they have to stay up and take care of them? I am sure they get help for the first week after they come home but what about if they are on their own and they have no help because they don't have family living nearby?

I think that if a baby has colic and needs to be tended to most of the time, it's a lot harder to get other things done, including a shower for yourself, until he takes a nap.

It's very hard to chase a toddler soon after giving birth so I don't know how a single mom could do it all herself with no help in addition to recovering from the birth or surgery if she had a C-section.

My mother had to do that. She delivered my sister by emergency C-section and had us two older ones at home, ages 2 and 3. 
She was not a single mother, but was home with us all day while my father was at work, no in-laws to help.  :zombiefuck:

People forget.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2011, 12:32:21 PM »
I thnk a big reason women often find it hard to get everything done as easily is because they want to spend a lot of time with the baby. They need to bond with it. So they're not just dealing with its crying/nappy etc and then dumping it again. They're there for it constantly

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2011, 12:35:28 PM »
I thnk a big reason women often find it hard to get everything done as easily is because they want to spend a lot of time with the baby. They need to bond with it. So they're not just dealing with its crying/nappy etc and then dumping it again. They're there for it constantly

I must confess, I'd be one of those mothers who park the kid in a playpen in front of the TV for 12 hours a day!  :zoinks:

People forget.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 12:37:11 PM »
I couldn't be arsed with a kid right now either. Which is why I won't be having any lol (well one of the many reasona :P )

The bitch of a "mother" our family is suffering from was trying to take half the birthday money she gave her daughter off her this weekend, to buy cigarettes  :facepalm2:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2011, 01:05:09 PM »
Being in diapers in 1949-51, I was cloth diapers, before dryers.  Imagine washing diapers using a wringer washing machine and hanging the diapers to dry.  Wet days were a real aggravation for my mother.

With the Princess Royal we used disposibles.  We lived in an apartment.  Prince Albert wanted to stay home with what would probably be our only child (because of our ages).  I thought disposibles would be simpler for him.  I did have a dozen cloth diapers for general baby use (light blanket shading the sun, large bib for very messy meals, etc.)
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2011, 01:12:19 PM »

Well I spend time with him but I also put him down to get stuff done and I still leave the apartment babyless but I only do it when my husband is home. I know he will be there when I get back and he isn't going anywhere if I have to put him down so I can do the dishes. I guess I am just lucky I won't miss him for a few minutes even if we are in the same apartment or if I am gone for a couple hours. ::) I have came out of the shower a couple times with him screaming and I would wonder how long has he been doing that. I just dry off and put on my bra and disposable underwear and go get him. Now I shower before my husband has to go to bed.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2011, 01:16:07 PM »

I must confess, I'd be one of those mothers who park the kid in a playpen in front of the TV for 12 hours a day!  :zoinks:

I picture myself putting him in his playpen when I clean or need to cook or do laundry just so he'd stay out of trouble. I have even thought about putting gates across the kitchen to keep him out. But the only annoying thing is I would have to move the gates when I open the bottom cupboards and then putting the gate back. But hey it be so much easier than putting up safety locks on the drawers and doors. I can't even figure out how to use those darn things so even they keep me out.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2011, 01:18:07 PM »
Those gates are a good idea imo

We had them when my brothers were kids - at the top and bottom of the stairs and (in our current house) at the entrance to the kitchen, because most of downstairs is open plan so if he was crawling round the living room, he'd easily be ab;le to get in the kitchen

Even with the locks on cupboards I don't think kitchens are a safe place for a baby (unless someone's holding him obviously)

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2011, 01:20:03 PM »
In diaper services, I am amazed how many parents don't dump the excess poop in the toilet. I guess because they don't have to wash them, they are too lazy to even be considerate to dump out the poop. It's one of the most nasty jobs to have.

Diaper services started during WWII and my guess is because men were over seas so moms were on their own doing all the housework and raising the kids so they made it more convenient for them by starting diaper services so they wouldn't have to worry about washing them and hanging them to dry. But because it was more convenient and less laundry to do, they kept the services and they still exist.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2011, 06:48:52 PM »
This may sound counter-intuative, but disposables are better for the environment.

Cloth has to be washed which causes water polution.

Yup, when my oldest was born, the environmental verdict was still in favour of cloth. Since she did not react that well on paper, I have used cloth for her for a long time.

When they youngest was born, the tides began to change. The use of plastic in the disposables stopped. A couple of years after that, disposables could be discarded with the green waste, to be composted. And I have not seen cloth advised for environmental reasons since.

I've used cloth with my youngest for almost a year. Motivated also by her hips. She was on the brink of needing a splint for hip-dysplasia. I had heard from the orthopaedic instrument maker that using double cloth diapers was advised in cases like that, when disposables weren't common yet. It was enough. She did not need the splint.
When she was 11 months, I had a horrible flu, the washing became too much for a few weeks, and I did not get back to cloth after that.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2011, 06:51:04 PM »
This may sound counter-intuative, but disposables are better for the environment.

Cloth has to be washed which causes water polution.

Yup, when my oldest was born, the environmental verdict was still in favour of cloth. Since she did not react that well on paper, I have used cloth for her for a long time.

When they youngest was born, the tides began to change. The use of plastic in the disposables stopped. A couple of years after that, disposables could be discarded with the green waste, to be composted. And I have not seen cloth advised for environmental reasons since.

I've used cloth with my youngest for almost a year. Motivated also by her hips. She was on the brink of needing a splint for hip-dysplasia. I had heard from the orthopaedic instrument maker that using double cloth diapers was advised in cases like that, when disposables weren't common yet. It was enough. She did not need the splint.
When she was 11 months, I had a horrible flu, the washing became too much for a few weeks, and I did not get back to cloth after that.

I had an orthopedic treatment like that as a baby, for my right leg, which was turned inward due to a too-short muscle!   :orly:

People forget.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2011, 06:54:26 PM »
If you want to use cloth diapers, you can buy really thin sheets to put in them. It keeps urine from getting back from the diaper to the baby's skin a bit, and when the baby poops, you can throw away the poo easily, with the inlay sheet. Makes a big difference.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!