What ones do you use?

Cloth
0 (0%)
Disposables
3 (50%)
Both
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Cloth or disposables?  (Read 1547 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Cloth or disposables?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 11:17:41 AM »
I really hope I never have to wear nappies myself. I think I'll kill myself if I do. Especially if I still have ocd

What's scary though is I don't know if I'd ever have the guts to go through with it if I really did need to kill myself :laugh:

But yeah, shit is horrible, even if it's from a little person
I think it's prolly way less bad before the child starts eating solid food.

And one of my worst nightmares is losing the ability to take care of myself.  I'd be freaked out by needing somehting like that because of the "I'm falling apart" factor way more than the ick factor.

Then again I don't even have to deal with feminine hygiene products.  Bought the things once, for a friend's mother.  I don't know how normal women deal with having thier vag bleed for a week straight every month.   :zombiefuck:
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 11:21:22 AM »
I really hope I never have to wear nappies myself. I think I'll kill myself if I do. Especially if I still have ocd

What's scary though is I don't know if I'd ever have the guts to go through with it if I really did need to kill myself :laugh:

But yeah, shit is horrible, even if it's from a little person
I think it's prolly way less bad before the child starts eating solid food.

And one of my worst nightmares is losing the ability to take care of myself.  I'd be freaked out by needing somehting like that because of the "I'm falling apart" factor way more than the ick factor.

Then again I don't even have to deal with feminine hygiene products.  Bought the things once, for a friend's mother.  I don't know how normal women deal with having thier vag bleed for a week straight every month.   :zombiefuck:

It's a pain in the ass, and then come the hot flashes and whatnot. Any day now...  :zombiefuck:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 11:32:39 AM »
If your kids are out of diapers, you can still vote for what you used when they wore.

I am currently using cloth because I'm cheap and I don't want to be spending lot of money on diapers every month and it give us more spending money. But we only be spending some of it on washing them since we have to pay to do laundry but it's cheap and it's a lot cheaper than using a diaper service or buying disposables.

When I was a baby, I just used cloth diapers.

With my daughter, I used both cloth and disposable diapers.

Disposables were much more convenient to use when we weren't at home.

If your son ever goes to day care, note that most people don't know how to rinse out cloth diapers or maybe they just don't want to so if he poops, they will probably just put the entire diaper, contents and all, into a plastic bag for you to deal with when you get home.

My friend told me the daycares here aren't allowed to handle them so when they change them, they have to put them in a bag and they put it in the child's cubby. So when the parent comes and picks up their baby, there is all that poop in the diaper. It's not about being lazy, they are just not allowed to rinse them out due to health safety. But this is up in Washington where my friend lives. I don't know about my city and not all day cares do cloth because of health safety.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 11:35:17 AM »
How revolting. Who wants dirty nappies being left there all day?

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 11:37:46 AM »
I do wonder how mothers manage to get all the washing done when they use cloth nappies? I mean a new mum must have loads of washing and other stuff to do as it is.

It doesn't take long to dump the diapers in the washer and turn it on and you don't need to stand there and wait for them to get done. You leave it be. Then you go back down and take them out and put them in the dryer and leave again. And to make it even quicker, you can just dump the poop in the toilet after you change your baby every time so you don't have all these diapers to rinse out before throwing them in the wash. You can also have a diaper pail or bucket with water in it and toss the used one in there so it soaks. Then when it's time to wash them, dump them in the washer and put it on rinse cycle and then wash them. It doesn't take long at all but sadly I can't use rinse cycle because our washer doesn't have it and it costs a dollar to do a load so I'd rather do it the rinsing.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 11:38:25 AM »
Soph, based on your germ and hygiene issues, daycares would bother you tremendously on many levels over and above dirty diapers being somewhere in the building.

It's a pain in the ass, and then come the hot flashes and whatnot. Any day now...  :zombiefuck:
Oh, the hot flashes and all that jazz, I'll get- it'll just be trickier to recognize.  Hopefully I'm a coupla decades away from that, though   :laugh:
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 11:38:33 AM »
All I can say is, thank god I don't have any kids.   :sick:

People forget.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 11:39:55 AM »
But there's only one washing machine and mothers have bibs and babygrows and towels and stuff to wash as well, plus all their own and their partner's/other kids' clothes. I mean even my mum always has stuff in the washing and we don't have anyone younger than 6 in our house. I don't see how she'd have time to fit in a whole other wash just for nappies

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 11:42:32 AM »
Soph, based on your germ and hygiene issues, daycares would bother you tremendously on many levels over and above dirty diapers being somewhere in the building.

lol True. Although my germ stuff is mostly toilet/shit related. I mean I kiss the cat on the mouth, so it would mostly just be the toilet and there are toilets everywhere (ffs). Babies are yucky though yeah. I remember when my youngest brother was still using a potty and there was one downstairs, I had to hold my breath every time I walked through the room :P (and that was even before I got ocd rofl)

btw I am going to a hospital which is meant to be the best in the country for treating anxiety disorders, for my OCD I mean. Although they are trying to get out of funding it

Just thought you might be interested, with your mental interests and all that :P

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 11:47:33 AM »
If your kids are out of diapers, you can still vote for what you used when they wore.

I am currently using cloth because I'm cheap and I don't want to be spending lot of money on diapers every month and it give us more spending money. But we only be spending some of it on washing them since we have to pay to do laundry but it's cheap and it's a lot cheaper than using a diaper service or buying disposables.

When I was a baby, I just used cloth diapers.

With my daughter, I used both cloth and disposable diapers.

Disposables were much more convenient to use when we weren't at home.

If your son ever goes to day care, note that most people don't know how to rinse out cloth diapers or maybe they just don't want to so if he poops, they will probably just put the entire diaper, contents and all, into a plastic bag for you to deal with when you get home.

My friend told me the daycares here aren't allowed to handle them so when they change them, they have to put them in a bag and they put it in the child's cubby. So when the parent comes and picks up their baby, there is all that poop in the diaper. It's not about being lazy, they are just not allowed to rinse them out due to health safety. But this is up in Washington where my friend lives. I don't know about my city and not all day cares do cloth because of health safety.

Everywhere I have seen, they use a new pair of disposable gloves whenever they change a child, then when they finish, they take off the gloves by turning them inside out without touching the outside of the glove with their bare hands and they dispose of them, then they wash the child's hands and their own hands.  IMO, if they are wearing disposable gloves, it wouldn't be a health safety issue to at least dump out the poop into the toilet so I don't completely buy their explanation of why they put the whole diaper, poop and all, into a plastic bag and then into the child's cubby.

When I changed cloth diapers or training pants for my daughter at home, I dumped the contents into the toilet and then used the hand shower in my daughter's bathroom to rinse out the diapers into the toilet before I put them into the diaper pail. 

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 11:49:51 AM »
I was watching an A&E program once where a guy was in a motorbike accident and ended up having to use a colostomy bag for the rest of his life

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 11:52:49 AM »
I'd just like to interrupt this lovely topic to point out how steady my stomach is!
I'm reading this thread AND eating cake at the same time.

Chocolate  cake, mind you!   :soph:

People forget.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 11:53:41 AM »
You're eating the contents of a baby's nappy!

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 11:53:52 AM »
I was watching an A&E program once where a guy was in a motorbike accident and ended up having to use a colostomy bag for the rest of his life

I knew a friend of my mother's who had to use a colostomy bag for a while after she had colon cancer.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »
Like I say, it doesn't take long to put a load in the washing machine. My mom did it all when we were kids and she used disposables but she did tons of laundry. Then you leave it be and let it wash and dry. But I like cleaning anyway and folding clothes. If you want to do it all later, just toss the clean linen on your bed and fold later after you get through with all the clothes unless you want to take longer to fold them all so you will mind as well do it after they get through drying. So you can still do other things as they are being washed and dried.

I can never understand how parents can say they don't have time for this or that or people saying it too. I find myself still doing the same things I did before and the books and internet make it sound like you have no time for nothing once the baby comes so you sit there and wonder "How am I going to shower?" "How am I going to clean and eat?" "How am I going to cook or put away groceries?" but you'd be surprised. Or maybe lot of women aren't smart enough to find ways around it. But I think women do find ways and find out they can still do things but they may be more limited but they can still get it done. Even if it means pausing their video game when their baby starts to get fussy or when it cries and then find they need to be changed or fed so they leave their game on pause or even finding they have to leave their chore to take care of their baby and get back to it later or finding it takes them five hours to make a post online because they had to calm their baby down and hold it and feed it and they got too distracted from the forum.

Hey I wonder how moms take care of their older kids when they have a new baby? Especially when they are very sore from giving birth. It's hard to get up and sit down and moving around and you can't run because it be very uncomfortable if you do so imagine having to chase your two year old? For a couple weeks I felt like a granny because I had to get up slowly and sit down slowly and I walked slower because I was sore down there and took pain medicine for it. I couldn't even wipe either and I had to dab down there. And even when you first get home, you are tired and exhausted so I wonder how mothers even do it when they have little ones running around and they have to stay up and take care of them? I am sure they get help for the first week after they come home but what about if they are on their own and they have no help because they don't have family living nearby?