Educational

Author Topic: Happy 1/11/11 everyone!!!  (Read 756 times)

Osensitive1

Re: Happy 1/11/11 everyone!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 09:55:16 PM »
The presidential election is a sham. State representatives elect the president. So we voted in the ones who voted him into power.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 09:55:53 PM »
Actually it's 11/1/11

Well actually it's 12/1/11 here now :P

You've mixed up your dates. I guess that's what happens when you have a country of people who drive on the wrong side of the road. :P

At least we never voted George Bush into power  :zoinks:

Technically, neither did we. America operates on an Electoral College system.

i have no idea what that last part is I'll be honest , I was sure George Bush was voted into power?  ???

Americans do not vote directly for the president. We vote for people who are termed "electors". Electors are members of certain political parties who are expected to vote for certain candidates. Because of the way that electors are apportioned, it is possible for the electors to vote for a different candidate than the one who would have won a straight popular vote. This happened in 2000; if America had voted by a simple majority system, Al Gore would have been elected president instead of George W. Bush.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 09:58:26 PM »
Actually it's 11/1/11

You've mixed up your dates. I guess that's what happens when you have a country of people who drive on the wrong side of the road. :P

i have no idea what that last part is I'll be honest , I was sure George Bush was voted into power?  ???

Americans do not vote directly for the president. We vote for people who are termed "electors". Electors are members of certain political parties who are expected to vote for certain candidates. Because of the way that electors are apportioned, it is possible for the electors to vote for a different candidate than the one who would have won a straight popular vote. This happened in 2000; if America had voted by a simple majority system, Al Gore would have been elected president instead of George W. Bush.

Ahh..... wow thats fucked up  :-\
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Osensitive1

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 09:58:48 PM »
Al Gore would have been elected president
Then they would be saying, at least we didn't vote Al Gore into office. lol.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:56 PM »
Actually it's 11/1/11

i have no idea what that last part is I'll be honest , I was sure George Bush was voted into power?  ???

Ahh..... wow thats fucked up  :-\

Indeed. But an amendment to our Constitution would be needed to change the system, and they are notoriously hard to pass (as they should be). 3/4 of the legislatures of the states must agree to pass the amendment before it comes into effect, and that number will probably never be reached with our current system. Because some states have more power than others through the Electoral College system, those states would most likely veto any such amendment, and the requisite supermajority would not be reached.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:06:00 PM by Semicolon »
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 10:51:16 PM »
It makes more sense our way imo - day, then month, then year. Days are smaller than months obviously.
Yeah that is how we write our dates as well. So here it is 12/1/11.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 04:49:57 PM »
It makes more sense our way imo - day, then month, then year. Days are smaller than months obviously.
:agreed:

I don't get the starting with the month either. Year/month/day or day/month/year is OK, month not in the middle confuses me.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 05:02:14 PM »
:agreed:

I don't get the starting with the month either. Year/month/day or day/month/year is OK, month not in the middle confuses me.

Yes me too. I always assumed 9/11 happened on the 9th of November, but no, 11th of Sept.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 05:08:05 PM »
9/11 does sound catchier than 11/9 though lol

I was skiving off school that day

And I was skiving off college the day London got bombed

So logically, I can't miss too much uni, or something awful will happen even closer to home :tinfoil: