Educational

Author Topic: Maybe I should start shutting off my phone every night  (Read 944 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Maybe I should start shutting off my phone every night
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »
This morning someone managed to call me at two in the morning and I answered it and no one responded so I hung up. The phone rang again and I answered it and still no answer so I hung up again and turned off my cell phone so that person wouldn't call back. I felt pissed because I was asleep and it takes me awhile to get to sleep and it took me about three hours to fall asleep again.

Then a voice mail was left when my husband turned it on and he listened to it and said the message didn't make any sense. It was some guy saying he isn't calling me back and my husband figured he was drunk. I didn't bother calling the number back to ask what they wanted and the fact that they woke me up and it took me three hours to get back to sleep again because I have a hard time getting to sleep, even when I am tired. I thought it was maybe some connection problem with the phone service because you know how sometimes calls don't go through or when you talk and the other person can't hear you on the other end. But no that person was probably drunk so he called the wrong number waking me up and I doubt he'd remember what happened. Drunk people never remember nor do they recall the details of what they did when they are not drunk anymore.

Can you not set your phone to NOT accept any calls that are NOT in your address book?

Basically, I have my cellphone set to only ring through calls that originate from my established call list. A call from an unknown source goes instantly to my mailbox, without making a sound. I can then, respond at my own leasure, or block any further calls from numbers that I do not want to receive.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 08:34:32 PM »
Who in their right mind would keep their mobile on when they are sleeping anyway?

I do!  :laugh:

I suppose I could rethink that, it's just that everyone I know is now accustomed to calling me on my cell.   :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 10:36:24 PM »
Who in their right mind would keep their mobile on when they are sleeping anyway?

The fucking things are meant to be for when you're out. And yeah, message bank can take any calls that you'd get when the thing is off.

BTW, haven't people heard of using land lines?

Because no one calls me at night so I wouldn't see the point leaving my phone off at night because no one ever calls. I mean do you unplug your land line before going to bed?

And I don't have a land line. We got rid of it. We have no need for one if we have cell phones.

How do you use the net without a landline? I gather you either have satellite or fiber optic. No? Even ADSL2+ comes through the phone network, and you need something to plug even a wireless modem into to get the signal.

And if you are using cell phones to access the net, your provider is either stupid for being so generous, or you're mega-rich to be able to afford their bill.

Internet through a landline is local call cost, everywhere.

We use comcast. It's a little cheaper than the land line. We were paying $62 something a month and then we got internet from Comcast and canceled the line. Now we are paying about fifty total for the internet.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 10:38:13 PM »
This morning someone managed to call me at two in the morning and I answered it and no one responded so I hung up. The phone rang again and I answered it and still no answer so I hung up again and turned off my cell phone so that person wouldn't call back. I felt pissed because I was asleep and it takes me awhile to get to sleep and it took me about three hours to fall asleep again.

Then a voice mail was left when my husband turned it on and he listened to it and said the message didn't make any sense. It was some guy saying he isn't calling me back and my husband figured he was drunk. I didn't bother calling the number back to ask what they wanted and the fact that they woke me up and it took me three hours to get back to sleep again because I have a hard time getting to sleep, even when I am tired. I thought it was maybe some connection problem with the phone service because you know how sometimes calls don't go through or when you talk and the other person can't hear you on the other end. But no that person was probably drunk so he called the wrong number waking me up and I doubt he'd remember what happened. Drunk people never remember nor do they recall the details of what they did when they are not drunk anymore.

Can you not set your phone to NOT accept any calls that are NOT in your address book?

Basically, I have my cellphone set to only ring through calls that originate from my established call list. A call from an unknown source goes instantly to my mailbox, without making a sound. I can then, respond at my own leasure, or block any further calls from numbers that I do not want to receive.

I didn't know you can do that.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 06:11:09 AM »

I didn't know you can do that.

Neither did I! Thanks for the info!   :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

DukeNukem

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 09:31:02 PM »
The phone is ringing and I cannot linger, so look out butt, here comes my finger! :evillaugh:

richard

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 08:29:04 PM »
I dont know how people get my phone number either, once someone from ohio called me! it was bizzare to say the least because i know iam a very responsible phone dialer. I am not trying to dial a number i dont even knows who it belongs too

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 08:30:59 PM »
One of our digits is a 7 and the pharmacy is a 1 in their number.  We are used to getting calls from little old people and politely telling them what happened to the phone call.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 04:39:10 AM »
I used to get repeated collect calls from some prisoner named "Dwayne" although I never accepted the charges because I didn't know him.

I finally called the warden of this prison he had been calling from, explained I didn't know this person, and the calls stopped.  I assumed the prisoner thought I knew him and mixed me up with someone else, but I learned the prisoners sometimes try stranger's numbers just to see who will accept their calls and try to scam them somehow if someone is kind enough to accept the collect call to tell them they have a wrong number.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 12:09:29 PM »
I once had a phone number, that had been the number of a cable company before. And it was still mentioned as their number in all kinds of local guides.
When ever there was a problem with receiving TV channels in town, we were the first to know, and we'd have the phone ringing non-stop.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 01:13:59 PM »
I used to get spam calls until we canceled our land line. I just need to learn to be more rude and hang up. It actually isn't rude to do that. In fact I think it's rude of them to call you and try and pressure you to buy from them but hey that's what they called business and they are just doing their job. They get paid for that crap and sometimes they don't make any money unless they can sell the product. They get paid by how much they sell. Poor people.

Offline Zippo

• psychotic J-DAM of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Click, Click, BOOM!
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 04:20:41 PM »
I used to get spam calls until we canceled our land line. I just need to learn to be more rude and hang up. It actually isn't rude to do that. In fact I think it's rude of them to call you and try and pressure you to buy from them but hey that's what they called business and they are just doing their job. They get paid for that crap and sometimes they don't make any money unless they can sell the product. They get paid by how much they sell. Poor people.

in canada if you say dont call us again legaly they have to take you off your call list... of course this ruins the fun of playing jokes with them and seeing how long you can keep them on the phone... one time i was at an old friends place and answered the phone and it was just me and him and we got a few calls that day from telemarketers... and well they asked for his mother, me being the smart ass i am preteneded to be her husband having a one sided argument "is a mrs ****** there?" "yea hold on one second: HEY HUN THE PHONES FOR YOU!.... *pause* NO I CANT BRING YOU THE GOD DAMN PHONE WHAT AM I YOUR F%$#ING SLAVE!? *Pause* THATS STRANGE BECAUSE I DONT REMEMBER ANYTHING ABOUT BEING YOUR SLAVE WRITEN ON ARE PRE-NUPTIAL AGREEMENT! *pause* GOD DAMNIT BITCH ILL BE YOUR FUCKING SLAVE WHEN YOU MAKE A DECENT MEAL!.... then i went back to him "sorry for the wait shell be here in a minute" he replied with "no this sounds like a bad time ill call back later..." he never called back.

Zippo, Shotgun Surgeon.
if theres bees in the trap im catching them, by the thorax and abdomen. and sanding there stingers down to a rough quill. then i dip em in ink and i scribble a bit, and if the wriggle than i tickle them until they hold still, let me say it again, in my land of pretend, i use bees as a mother fucking pen!

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 04:25:56 PM »

in canada if you say dont call us again legaly they have to take you off your call list... of course this ruins the fun of playing jokes with them and seeing how long you can keep them on the phone... one time i was at an old friends place and answered the phone and it was just me and him and we got a few calls that day from telemarketers... and well they asked for his mother, me being the smart ass i am preteneded to be her husband having a one sided argument "is a mrs ****** there?" "yea hold on one second: HEY HUN THE PHONES FOR YOU!.... *pause* NO I CANT BRING YOU THE GOD DAMN PHONE WHAT AM I YOUR F%$#ING SLAVE!? *Pause* THATS STRANGE BECAUSE I DONT REMEMBER ANYTHING ABOUT BEING YOUR SLAVE WRITEN ON ARE PRE-NUPTIAL AGREEMENT! *pause* GOD DAMNIT BITCH ILL BE YOUR FUCKING SLAVE WHEN YOU MAKE A DECENT MEAL!.... then i went back to him "sorry for the wait shell be here in a minute" he replied with "no this sounds like a bad time ill call back later..." he never called back.
:lol:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 05:20:56 PM »

I suppose I could rethink that, it's just that everyone I know is now accustomed to calling me on my cell.   :orly:

I never turn mine off.  Why bother if I don't want to answer it I leave it in the truck
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 05:36:09 PM »

I never turn mine off.  Why bother if I don't want to answer it I leave it in the truck

I do that alot. :laugh: