Author Topic: Maybe I should start shutting off my phone every night  (Read 945 times)

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Maybe I should start shutting off my phone every night
« on: November 21, 2010, 09:12:58 PM »
This morning someone managed to call me at two in the morning and I answered it and no one responded so I hung up. The phone rang again and I answered it and still no answer so I hung up again and turned off my cell phone so that person wouldn't call back. I felt pissed because I was asleep and it takes me awhile to get to sleep and it took me about three hours to fall asleep again.

Then a voice mail was left when my husband turned it on and he listened to it and said the message didn't make any sense. It was some guy saying he isn't calling me back and my husband figured he was drunk. I didn't bother calling the number back to ask what they wanted and the fact that they woke me up and it took me three hours to get back to sleep again because I have a hard time getting to sleep, even when I am tired. I thought it was maybe some connection problem with the phone service because you know how sometimes calls don't go through or when you talk and the other person can't hear you on the other end. But no that person was probably drunk so he called the wrong number waking me up and I doubt he'd remember what happened. Drunk people never remember nor do they recall the details of what they did when they are not drunk anymore.

Scrapheap

Re: Maybe I should start shutting off my phone every night
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 09:25:50 PM »
Yes, you SHOULD turn off you phone at night.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 10:12:43 PM »
I got a weird one a couple of nights ago around midnight. Normally I do shut the damn thing off the power went off the night before on me so I had the alarm set just in case we had a repeat performance. I've gotten more use out of the alarm feature than I have the phone. :zoinks:

Sounded all of 13 or 14. :laugh: They called back twice after I hung up on them and I kept hitting ignore then shut it off.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 06:48:08 AM »
Have had mine shut of for the night for a long time.
Now I have it on again. I know I could get a call I would not want to miss, even if it was in the middle of the night.

But, when I got random text messages of my provider at odd hours, I was very tempted to shut it off at night again. Had they continued to do that, I would have.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

DukeNukem

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 10:24:35 AM »
I never shut my phone off at night, because I hardly ever receive a call during the day, much less night. :orly:

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 10:29:06 AM »
Who in their right mind would keep their mobile on when they are sleeping anyway?

The fucking things are meant to be for when you're out. And yeah, message bank can take any calls that you'd get when the thing is off.

BTW, haven't people heard of using land lines?

DukeNukem

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 10:41:40 AM »
Who in their right mind would keep their mobile on when they are sleeping anyway?

The fucking things are meant to be for when you're out. And yeah, message bank can take any calls that you'd get when the thing is off.

Why would you waste your money on a landline? This isn't the 60's you know. :wanker:

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 11:05:11 AM »
Plenty of people do. :orly:

DukeNukem

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 11:26:22 AM »
Well, I do realize some of ya'll don't live in the USA, where cell phone and landline prices are batshit insane. I use a 10cent a minute prepaid cellphone, that's how little I actually need a phone.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 11:51:36 AM »
Cell phones are great till you go to an area without service or there is an emergency and everyone is using theirs.  Mine is on all the time but I don't always answer it or even keep it with me I have another that just says in my truck for emergencies that's from my brother company.  We also have two landlines to the house one for work with a phone fax and the other for general use.  Even being on the East Coast and not far from NYC cell service at my home is iffy and on one of my phones it's very poor at my house
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 05:02:43 PM »
I have a prepaid cell phone, so that schools and kids always can contact me. And, I use it as my alarm in the morning. The parrots from my former neighbours made an effort to mimic the other alarm I had, and they would wake me at odd hours. Since then, I use my cellphone. Alarm also works when it is switched off. That is a nice fact. :D I may do that tonight. Could be very sensible to do so.

My landline comes with the internet connection. And, for 6 euro extra a month, I can call unlimited to other landlines, for about a ct per conversation. Pays off, calling bureaus with long waiting times, and, for the odd times I talk to my brother. Once we talk, it'll take an hour or three till we are done.
Now have a cheap option to call abroad too. Calling a landline in my own country, 1ct per conversation, and then on top of that, 4 cts, to connect me to the other side of the world.

Yes, it sure pays off for me, to have a landline.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 05:15:42 PM »

Because no one calls me at night so I wouldn't see the point leaving my phone off at night because no one ever calls. I mean do you unplug your land line before going to bed?

And I don't have a land line. We got rid of it. We have no need for one if we have cell phones.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 05:35:52 PM »

Because no one calls me at night so I wouldn't see the point leaving my phone off at night because no one ever calls. I mean do you unplug your land line before going to bed?

And I don't have a land line. We got rid of it. We have no need for one if we have cell phones.

How do you use the net without a landline? I gather you either have satellite or fiber optic. No? Even ADSL2+ comes through the phone network, and you need something to plug even a wireless modem into to get the signal.

And if you are using cell phones to access the net, your provider is either stupid for being so generous, or you're mega-rich to be able to afford their bill.

Internet through a landline is local call cost, everywhere.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 05:48:17 PM »
There's DSL, which is done through cable.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 06:52:08 PM »

...   but, you have to live someplace where they have already set up cable for the general public, around here, in order to access their system.

I am lucky in that I live in an old part of town that has recently been updated.

Unfortunately, since there is so much demand for their services, my "PROMISED"  5MB/sec is more like an actual 3.3MB/sec.

There are times when it is near to their promised service, but usually, the actual speed they can sustain is half what I pay for.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.