Author Topic: If you were filthy rich...  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Re: If you were filthy rich...
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2018, 10:02:04 AM »
Maybe 'swish' means something different there....

Swish = Posh

Well, THAT I know is a britishism. Still doesn't sound like something a dude would aim for, but hey.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2018, 12:49:35 PM »
LOL Elle, at the telling those 'friends' who had nothing to do with you in ages to go fuck themselves. +1 for that.

If I was filthy rich, I'd have two homes, one in the city, one way way way out in the country. I'd have the countryside one surrounded by a farm, growing three primary crops, and one portion of the farmland devoted to growing various interesting plants of other sorts, a mixture, as well as another place to plant a second memorial garden for Sovia, may her sweet, talented bee-wings always find room to flap and may her flasks never break, her condensers never become scratched and never a stuck or stiff joint in her glassware be, while her sweet soul rests eternal.

The crops would be -weed, real damn good weed. Poppies, a big field of mixed 'giganteum' and 'persian white' strain Papaver somniferum. And wheat. Possibly a clonal male sterile line, although that would take a bit of research, so I'd go with wheat, or more likely, rye, first. This wheat, I'd infect (deliberately) with the ergot fungus Claviceps purpurea. Or else I'd just grow a huge farm field of grass. Not the type you smoke, I'd already be growing that, but grass grass, the stuff with thin stalks and strap like long thin leaves grass, in particular, Paspalum grass, as this is the host for the ergot Claviceps paspali, the chemistry needed to process it after harvest once one has performed the obligatory strain development and selection, mutation work etc., is much much simpler a task and the extraction liquors less toxic than those from a Claviceps purpurea harvest/culture. It produces paspalic acid rather than the complex mixture of ergopeptide alkaloids in C.purpurea, and paspalic acid can easily be simply isomerized into lysergic acid, rather than losing yield and having to be really, really really careful not to epimerize the lysergic acid irreversibly, as well as risk (reversible) transition of lysergic acid to isolysergic acid.

I'd have great big barns, plenty sheds for storing my supplies, metal construction, so they can be secured,
the barns too, with excellent ventilation equipment, multiple fume-hoods, both small ones, medium sized ones, to one about the size of an articulated truck, maybe two of them of that size.

There'd be entire buildings just for glassware, more buildings just for my chemicals and solvents, big processing units for automated pill-pressing, a metalworking fabrication shop, welding room, room for electronics work, and a general purpose outbuilding for woodwork, stuff for metalworking like the lathe from here, blowtorches, bench/angle grinders, powertools of all kinds, routers, all manner of useful items of that nature.

I'd of course, spend about 500k on new lab glassware, not counting the additional sum spent on buying a GC-MS, an NMR machine (standard 1H proton NMR, an advanced model with a high operating frequency, wide range UV-VIS ultraviolet-visible range spectrophotometer, an infrared spectrophotometer with a very wide range of IR wavelengths that it is sensitive to. And another piece of analytical chemistry equipment I'd give my left nut for, a fourier-transform ion cyclotron resonance mass spectrometer.

And as for cyclotrons, I'd build one too. Actually, I've wanted to try building a cyclotron (a type of particle accelerator) for a while. I need more space, though, somewhere to put it, and the only room I could free is upstairs, which might well risk the thing falling through the floor and crashing straight through to the ground, both destroying the accelerator, and if it hit somebody, killing them without the least, tinest fraction of a doubt. No maybe about it, they'd be crushed to a thin red paste with a few bone shards in it; because it would be built with some large, very powerful vacuum pumps, a vacuum chamber surrounded by some VERY heavy, very strong electromagnets, if possibly, superconducting magnets, which would make things much more effective at the cost of more weight for the liquid nitrogen dewars and pumps for the coolant lines needed to make the superconducting magnets work, then there is the lead radiation shielding, the beamline, the radiofrequency excitation field generator that actually, in concert with the electromagnetic field, gives the magnetically-confined particle stream in the vacuum chamber the repetitive 'kicks' to speed them up to a fraction of the speed of light before they are sent into a beamline, surrounded by quadrupole strong focusing magnets or octupole magnets, 'compressing' and confining the particle beam into an extremely narrow, thin filament as it is fired into various targets according to the experiments being undertaken at the time, used to irradiate samples with particle beams.

It is a very large, very, very heavy piece of equipment, a cyclotron, if a cyclotron of any significant power is to be built. Although it is possible to build micro-sized ones, a proof of concept scale cyclotron, that would fit on a table top, but at the same time, it wouldn't be of the practical use I desire, for that you need meter-wide vacuum chambers, or bigger, and fuckoff great big powerful radio emitter and magnetic field generators. Having one with say a 2 meter acceleration chamber (significant power levels possible there) would if it fell through the floor onto someone, quite literally squash them flat, and crush them to a paste unrecognizable as ever having been human unless the pulp were subjected to DNA testing. There wouldn't even be dental records to match.

Nothing more than a paste of organs and muscle tissue, reduced to slurry, with bone residue, probably some powdered and some little pieces of splintered bones, but thats about all, aside from the shit in their intestines and piss in their bladder. So a thin, wide splodge of pinkish red slime dotted with bone splinters and dust, intermixed with their shit and piss.

So really something that should go on the ground floor, no?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 12:52:49 PM by Lestat »
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2018, 04:10:25 PM »
I'd work to destabilize economies and otherwise just have fun.

Why not just move to a shithole right now and live the dream?  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2018, 04:15:14 PM »
Maybe 'swish' means something different there....

Swish = Posh

Well, THAT I know is a britishism. Still doesn't sound like something a dude would aim for, but hey.

No, you are right.there
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2018, 06:24:14 PM »

Something like this.

A little fancier than necessary for a motorhome.

I'm not sure if I should go for one with a helicopter or a Ferrari. What do you guys think?

Or just go for something huge:

“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2018, 06:55:30 PM »
Move myself and my family to Canada.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2018, 10:25:16 PM »

I'm not sure if I should go for one with a helicopter or a Ferrari. What do you guys think?

I'd pick the Ferrari.  :thumbup:

Damn...those are awesome.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2018, 05:38:18 AM »
I know it's a BMW in the pic. I'd probably go for a Lamborghini or a mclaren myself.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2018, 06:48:48 AM »
Why make it a choice between the two? why not have both?

As for transport myself, I'd get myself  a top of the range motorbike, along with a few custom modifications, although those I'd have to build myself, since I can guarantee that no electronics company would willingly participate in designing, trading or even possessing such items.

And a tank. Yes, a tank. You can get them online from eastern europe. Mostly older models, something like a T-64, I think, although I'd update the armor, and install a couple of additional bits and pieces, such as an  ECM jamming suite, a railgun or two (using modular parts, using disposable barrels each loaded with a given number of shells in an integrated magazine, to compensate for the massive wear and tear due to friction from the ultra-high velocity rounds), along with HERF emitters (high energy radio frequency, basically an EMP weapon, that is designed to destroy electronics rather than people), a high-powered microwave cannon, based on vircator technology, sonic weaponry (ever heard of the LRAD? long range acoustic device, basically a sonic cannon that gives out a deafening shriek, enough to incapacitate the target), and it would be  fun as hell to experiment with using laser-induced plasma channels to transmit high energy electric discharges.

And of course, trick it out with advanced sensors, night vision, active and passive IR  and thermal imaging, weapons lock to thermal targets, acoustic sensing and weapon tracking, even ultraviolet. I'd just love to see the filth try to pull me over whilst driving a heavily personalized T-64 medium-heavy battle tank.

I'd nick a few things from james bond too, perhaps modified somewhat, like for example, I'd build a chute on the back and on each side, the side ones oriented somewhat outward pointing, and down which large boxes of hollow-spined (like the spikes on a police issue stinger for stopping traffic, the hollow bore of the spikes allows tires to deflate) caltrops could be dumped out onto the road, allowing me to burst the tires of any pig vehicle in pursuit, that is, if I didn't just decide to  barbecue each and every last bit of wiring and every silicon chip in the vehicle with the EMP cannon(s).
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2018, 02:40:23 PM »
I'd work to destabilize economies and otherwise just have fun.

Why not just move to a shithole right now and live the dream?  :zoinks:

It's always the question, isn't it? Can you just change your perspective and
delude yourself into seeing them the same.

I could kick over an anthill too.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2018, 03:52:19 PM »

Was my first thought as well.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2018, 03:54:02 PM »
Oh, and me, I'd buy "my" old cinema, restore it to its former glory, and then only run the films I want to see. If a film was disappointing, I'd just move to the next.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2018, 05:02:03 PM »
As for transport myself, I'd get myself  a top of the range motorbike,

What kind? crotch rocket? sport touring? touring? adventure touring?

along with a few custom modifications, although those I'd have to build myself, since I can guarantee that no electronics company would willingly participate in designing, trading or even possessing such items.

So... a police radar jammer??   :zoinks:

And a tank. Yes, a tank. You can get them online from eastern europe. Mostly older models, something like a T-64,

Personally, I'd go for one of the CVR(T) family, either a Scorpion or a Scimitar. Either way, I'd get one with the Cummins 5.9L turbo diesel because those are very popular engines here and there's plenty of parts available for them. From what I hear, the Soviet tanks are cramped and uncomfortable, especially if you're over 5'10". Not to mention that spare parts might be an issue for them.

I think, although I'd update the armor, and install a couple of additional bits and pieces, such as an  ECM jamming suite, a railgun or two (using modular parts, using disposable barrels each loaded with a given number of shells in an integrated magazine, to compensate for the massive wear and tear due to friction from the ultra-high velocity rounds), along with HERF emitters (high energy radio frequency, basically an EMP weapon, that is designed to destroy electronics rather than people), a high-powered microwave cannon, based on vircator technology, sonic weaponry (ever heard of the LRAD? long range acoustic device, basically a sonic cannon that gives out a deafening shriek, enough to incapacitate the target), and it would be  fun as hell to experiment with using laser-induced plasma channels to transmit high energy electric discharges.

And of course, trick it out with advanced sensors, night vision, active and passive IR  and thermal imaging, weapons lock to thermal targets, acoustic sensing and weapon tracking, even ultraviolet.

:facepalm2:  That would requite 100's of millions of dollars/pounds to build and develop that technology.

I'd just love to see the filth try to pull me over whilst driving a heavily personalized T-64 medium-heavy battle tank.

Uuum, that's been done before.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2018, 06:02:16 PM »

I was thinking in terms of which supercar I would keep in the supercar compartment of my motorhome.

I'm too tall to drive most supercars anyway. And maybe 10 years ago a garage full of supercars might have seemed like a wonderful idea.... but now I would just want something comfortable.

I wouldn't get a boat. I would join a boat club where I could book a boat for a few days when I felt like it. They normally have boats that are comfortable for half a dozen people and have a compact living area, up to boats with 2 or 3 large bedrooms, a couple of bathrooms, a kitchen etc. The membership fees for those clubs are steep but the annual cost is a small fraction of the running costs and depreciation involved in owning your own boat.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2018, 01:38:44 AM »
I’d buy a fleet of ships for Sea Shepherd. Then I would build a bunch of eco-friendly high rise apartment complexes and provide rooms free for every homeless person. I’d buy every gun and melt them down to scrap. I’d find a 1983 Fiero and fix it up with an electric engine that I’d charge with solar panels.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 07:31:34 PM by Trigger 11 »
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems