Educational

Author Topic: Organ Donation  (Read 694 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Organ Donation
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »
Are you on the organ donor register?

Do you think there should even be one?

If so, should it be an opt-out system or an opt-in systeam?

IMO It should be an opt- out system if anything, but I don't see why we should even have one in the first place. Dead people don't have rights. You don't need your kidneys when you're rotting in the ground. Incredibly selfish and perverted to want to keep your organs after you die

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Organ Donation
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 07:21:31 PM »
My paranoid fear is that if my I.D. reads "organ donor," I might be allowed to die in the event of a serious accident,
so my organs can be harvested to the hospital's profit. I don't mean to insult the entire medical profession,
I just realize there are unethical people in every  profession. I would rather just inform my family of my
desire to donate my organs, and let them give consent if I am fatally injured or ill. That way (I hope) more effort
would be made to save my life. Again, I'm paranoid, but I'm probably not the only one.  :tinfoil:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 08:10:58 PM »
My paranoid fear is that if my I.D. reads "organ donor," I might be allowed to die in the event of a serious accident,
so my organs can be harvested to the hospital's profit. I don't mean to insult the entire medical profession,
I just realize there are unethical people in every  profession. I would rather just inform my family of my
desire to donate my organs, and let them give consent if I am fatally injured or ill. That way (I hope) more effort
would be made to save my life. Again, I'm paranoid, but I'm probably not the only one.  :tinfoil:

I feel the same way, I see being identified as an organ donor as a liability in certain circumstances.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 08:13:05 PM »
What if everyone was an organ donor though?

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 08:18:21 PM »
I've never got around to getting a doner card, but my family know that I'd want them to use my parts.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 08:19:34 PM »
Can I use your parts too?

:zoinks:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 08:25:47 PM »
Can I use your parts too?

:zoinks:

Of course. If I'm dead and you're injured. I'd want you to have them :asthing: :asthing:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 08:28:53 PM »
 :lol:

Scrapheap

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 08:44:12 PM »

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 03:07:54 AM »
I'm squeamish about my arteries. When I got a form to registrate as a donor, it had a list of all kinds of stuff you could donate after death. Seeing the arteries and veins freaked me out.
Now I am a donor for everything, except arteries and veins. Can't bear the thought of people harvesting those. Writing this down is really freaky too.

:asthing:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Loupgarou

• Tormented Werewolf of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 06:03:38 AM »
On my organ donation card it says "Take whatever is still working. Knock yourselves out" :zoinks:

I wanted to donate my body to science but my fiance wouldn't have it. He was pretty disturbed about how blase I was about organ donation. I told him that if I died, he could not contest my wishes, or I would haunt him. Compromise :2thumbsup:

Loup
"Long-winded speech is exhausting. Better to stay centered". - Lao Tzu

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 06:09:11 AM »
On my organ donation card it says "Take whatever is still working. Knock yourselves out" :zoinks:

I wanted to donate my body to science but my fiance wouldn't have it. He was pretty disturbed about how blase I was about organ donation. I told him that if I died, he could not contest my wishes, or I would haunt him. Compromise :2thumbsup:

Loup

:2thumbsup:  :plus:

I did add something like "be happy with them", but it never showed up on the formal card I got to have in my wallet.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Celticgoddess

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 07:46:44 AM »
In some religions, they're not allowed to donate which is why it's not an automatic thing. Then they'd run into the risk of language/understanding barriers, or simply not knowing and they might be on the donation list when they wouldn't want to be.

I'm an organ donor. When my life is done, if there's something in my that helps another persons life last longer? Awesome. Or, I can do things slightly backwards and be my Mum's living donor for a kidney. ;) So far she's stable and isn't needing it as soon as we thought so that's good. Although it actually says in the live donors handbook, under risks you shouldn't undertake post donation, "Don't Get Shot" because if they shoot you in the kidney, and you only have one? You're a goner. So that lead me to thinking that this must have been an issue at some point to have to put that in the handbook to begin with. :laugh:

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 08:01:23 AM »
We won't need donors soon because we can clone organs. True story.

We just need to convince the massive hordes of religious dumbfucks who think its going to make jesus cry that technology is ok.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 10:06:16 AM »
We won't need donors soon because we can clone organs. True story.

We just need to convince the massive hordes of religious dumbfucks who think its going to make jesus cry that technology is ok.

It is indeed true this was in the news the other day
Got a problem with your liver? Don’t worry, we’ll grow you a new one…eventually. That was the message researchers from Wake Forest University’s Institute for Regenerative Medicine (WFIRM) gave to their audience at the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) annual Liver Meeting over the weekend. The Wake Forest team had successfully created part of a liver using human cells. Sections of the organ were only 1-1.5 cm in thickness (around half an inch) but even this success was momentous. This is the first time that human cells have been used to grow a liver in a lab.
http://singularityhub.com/2010/11/02/wake-forest-creates-first-liver-in-lab-using-human-cells/

I still needs work but it's on the way.  My drivers liences has me down as a donor but they still ask surviving relatives about it I have no problems though
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw