Educational

Author Topic: An apology to Richard  (Read 1710 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: An apology to Richard
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2010, 11:31:13 AM »
I will refer you to my post, above, regarding "most of us" :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2010, 11:32:10 AM »
Heh, I know, but I'm just saying. :P
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2010, 11:53:26 AM »
Most of us have hissy fits sooner or later.

I don't :angel: :angel: :angel:

That's why I wrote "most of us". :P

Funny thing is though. I'm prone to the occasional hissy fit in real life, but for some reason I just can't imagine getting too worked up on the interet.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2010, 12:03:31 PM »
But teh Interwebs are serious business. :orly:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2010, 12:08:18 PM »

The worst thing anybody can do on the net is say something you don't like. There's no way they can do anything that'll effect your life.

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2010, 12:13:28 PM »

The worst thing anybody can do on the net is say something you don't like. There's no way they can do anything that'll effect your life.

You must be new to the internet. Believe me, people's entire lives can be destroyed by the internet and that's the second worse case scenario. The worst case scenario is that it can spill over into IRL if people are stupid/determined enough, and someone ends up getting abducted, raped and/or murdered, in some cases in that order, srsly. Of course I'm refering to pedos and stalkers as a prime example.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2010, 12:29:39 PM »
I have heard of people getting killed from someone online, people getting stalked online and cyber bullied, being outed in real life from online, losing your job over what you do online like posting something on facebook, and people have used information against their ex what they post online. That happened with my friend on WP, his ex was taking all his posts he make and use them against him in court to manipulate the judge. All serious business.

As DW a Mom says, what you post online isn't private and it's there for life unless the forum gets deleted.

Ways to protect yourself:

Never post your first and last name

Make your facebook profile private and don't allow any co workers on your friends list nor your boss

Never tell people in real life your user names you go by online

Always use a different email address than you do in real life

Use a email address to register on forums, not the one you use in real life when you apply for jobs

Use a different user name for each forums/websites you go to (this prevents people spying on you)

Use a different email address for each forum you register on (this prevents people spying on you)

Never tell people your other user names you use at other places

Yep these are tips I came up with but I don't follow them all. I only follow two of them and that is posting your first and last name and saying what your usernames are online. I never do that.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2010, 12:32:19 PM »

You must be new to the internet. Believe me, people's entire lives can be destroyed by the internet and that's the second worse case scenario. The worst case scenario is that it can spill over into IRL if people are stupid/determined enough, and someone ends up getting abducted, raped and/or murdered, in some cases in that order, srsly. Of course I'm refering to pedos and stalkers as a prime example.

I am quite new to the internet. New to forums anyway.
Of course you're right. It can spill over into real life. Since I've started using the forum my family have totally warned me off meeting anybody, or even giving out my address. They're even a bit pissed off that I give out the town that I live in.
Bit of a shame really, because I had been thinking about trying internet dating, but I've been told not to even think about it. So, if I decide to try it I'm going to have to keep it a secret, which then makes it more dangerous :)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2010, 12:36:57 PM »
I have heard of people getting killed from someone online, people getting stalked online and cyber bullied, being outed in real life from online, losing your job over what you do online like posting something on facebook, and people have used information against their ex what they post online. That happened with my friend on WP, his ex was taking all his posts he make and use them against him in court to manipulate the judge. All serious business.

That's the one thing that worries me most. It would not be a good thing where I live. That's why it's a good thing nobody from this site knoows who I am in real life, and that nobody I know in real life(other than my cousin) is likely to read this site.
In a funny kind of way it's like two totally different worlds that I would never want to clash.

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2010, 12:40:22 PM »
That's the one thing that worries me most. It would not be a good thing where I live. That's why it's a good thing nobody from this site knoows who I am in real life, and that nobody I know in real life(other than my cousin) is likely to read this site.
In a funny kind of way it's like two totally different worlds that I would never want to clash.

Welcome to the internet. :zoinks:

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2010, 12:43:18 PM »
As DW a Mom says, what you post online isn't private and it's there for life unless the forum gets deleted.

You're very lucky if that happens.

Web archives can sometimes save copies of a dead forum. As the saying goes, the internet never forgets.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2010, 12:46:40 PM »

Welcome to the internet. :zoinks:

Thank you. Funnily enough I kind of thought I was the strange one thinking like that. I suppose when I think about it, most folks who use these type of forums probably think like that.

richard

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2010, 01:15:37 PM »
Ways to protect yourself:

Never post your first and last name

Make your facebook profile private and don't allow any co workers on your friends list nor your boss

Never tell people in real life your user names you go by online

Always use a different email address than you do in real life

Use a email address to register on forums, not the one you use in real life when you apply for jobs

Use a different user name for each forums/websites you go to (this prevents people spying on you)

Use a different email address for each forum you register on (this prevents people spying on you)

Never tell people your other user names you use at other places

now im gonna be paraniod. ive broken almost all those rules

Offline Loupgarou

• Tormented Werewolf of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2010, 02:49:16 PM »
Anonymity is an illusion when using this kind of technology. If you would not say it / do it / feel it IRL, best not to do it at all.

Even on the internet, we still have to live with our actions/consequences.

That is what I tell my son.

Loup

(Butterflies, my dad met my stepmum in online dating and they have been married for 6 years now. They are very happy. Just be very, very aware. :indeed:)
"Long-winded speech is exhausting. Better to stay centered". - Lao Tzu

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2010, 03:04:49 PM »
I do find that your more extreme personality traits become more apparent when you're online, along with being social. The lack of social cues online really is a factor.