Author Topic: Everyone with a WP account vote in one of your own as a mod  (Read 13485 times)

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
Re: Everyone with a WP account vote in one of your own as a mod
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2010, 02:24:32 PM »
iirc  =  if I recall correctly

Ahhhh thank you  :2thumbsup:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2010, 02:31:39 PM »
iirc from when I was there, alex doesn't make someone mod if they ask to be one. Dunno if he's still the same on it now. I don't have a wp account anymore anyway, not yet

Now he is saying you need to be recommended as one. Is that something new or just something I never knew about?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2010, 02:32:56 PM »
something new I think

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
OK, so we know they are reading this thread. Good.

Now the reason Sir_Les aka rossc posted here was to enlist the peopl on here who had WP accounts to actually DO something about the poor modding that has been going on at WP. He thought that if he ran he could get some fair changes done, and treat the membership with a bit more courtesy than some of the others have done (are you listening Merle? Really listening?). We all like him here, and even though some of us have been banned by (guess who...), that should not in any way tarnish his good character and name (listening Zara?). There is no 'conspiracy' other than to get you a decent person as a mod who will do the job for what it was intended, and to treat the membership fairly. Something that some others have not been able to do in the past (listening Quatermass, MrMark, Lau & Merle again?).

So, please look beyond any petty jealousy you may have with our small site and give rossc full consideration if he can get the numbers. I believe he will do a good job, and will serve you well.

Ohhh, so Intensity is to Wrongplanet, as Spectrumites is to AFF?
:rofl:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2010, 05:15:25 PM »
If Alex isn't appointing mods who ask for the job, then what criteria is he using to appoint them? We know the current ones are past their use-by dates, so it would be within WP's interests to have fresh faces and ideas amongst the people that have authority. As I said, ross is willing to put his hand up, so why not give him the job? MOF, why not give a few more the position as well and clean the stale ones out altogether? Pikajedi3 has had experience as a modmin, and has done quite well. SG could do no worse than QM or MrMark (personally I think Kit/SG would be one who could handle the job quite well. She wouldn't have favourites and would treat everyone equally. renaeden, who is a brilliant admin here, could do a far better job than say, Lau, because she has the knowledge about systems and the respect to do the job without people getting upset with her. And they are members who have WP accounts, not just I2 members seeking to 'take over'.

It cannot hurt in the slightest to have fresh ideas, or is there the worry that this new deal will be threatened if the membership is allowed to actually be treated with fairness and equality?

• Newtype of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2010, 05:18:04 PM »
If Alex isn't appointing mods who ask for the job, then what criteria is he using to appoint them? We know the current ones are past their use-by dates, so it would be within WP's interests to have fresh faces and ideas amongst the people that have authority. As I said, ross is willing to put his hand up, so why not give him the job? MOF, why not give a few more the position as well and clean the stale ones out altogether? Pikajedi3 has had experience as a modmin, and has done quite well. SG could do no worse than QM or MrMark (personally I think Kit/SG would be one who could handle the job quite well. She wouldn't have favourites and would treat everyone equally. renaeden, who is a brilliant admin here, could do a far better job than say, Lau, because she has the knowledge about systems and the respect to do the job without people getting upset with her. And they are members who have WP accounts, not just I2 members seeking to 'take over'.

It cannot hurt in the slightest to have fresh ideas, or is there the worry that this new deal will be threatened if the membership is allowed to actually be treated with fairness and equality?

I wouldn't want the job - I'm not established enough over at WP, I'm a relative unknown - and I've enough to be dealing with at AFF.

Ross would be a fantastic person for the job, and SG would also. Renaeden has practical experience with backend stuff, as does Ross.

Whaaaaat? :P

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2010, 05:21:40 PM »
The idea behind not making someone who asks to be a mod a mod is that that person must have some ulterior motive - why do they want to be a mod?

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »

Whaaaaat? :P

I was thinking of all the wrong planet threads here when I saw that equation.  :smarty:

OK, and thinking of the reputation and liveliness of I2 too.  :laugh:

Guess I just mean I luvz you too.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 05:29:22 PM by hykeaswell »
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2010, 05:36:13 PM »
The idea behind not making someone who asks to be a mod a mod is that that person must have some ulterior motive - why do they want to be a mod?

The answer is change. They feel the mods that are there aren't doing their jobs properly, or with their assistance could be done better. There have been times when Alex has been question over some of the decisions, and has said "WTF?', so it makes you wonder who is running the ship. In any business, you would either apply for promotion if the position came up, or asked if there was the chance of a promotion. Waiting for promotion doesn't necessarily work, because you may be overlooked and the job given to someone who is either a favourite, or has less skills than you. I never went for promotions in my job IRL, because I saw it as trying to kiss arse, but there is no reason why people shouldn't further themselves if they really need to. And while this is mainly a virtual world, becoming mod at a forum is something that would give you some authority and achievement. As I said, if people don't put their hands up and ask, then what criteria is Alex using to pick them?

I mean, you took the job as admin on zOMG, but had you applied for it, I think you would have got it anyway, Soph. Mainly because you could do the job so well and you put the effort into it. So it stands to reason that ross could do just as good a job as mod by asking for it as any of the others who were chosen by whatever other means. Better, in fact.

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2010, 05:39:53 PM »
Asking shows confidence , exactly what you need in someone with a position of authority.
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

DukeNukem

« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2010, 05:53:15 PM »
Now that I have heard that WankPlanet is being sponsored by Autism Speaks, I officially retract any statements about my desires of becoming a moderator. Like I had a chance in the first place. WP is the new Hell for me now.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2010, 05:53:35 PM »
Asking shows confidence , exactly what you need in someone with a position of authority.

EXACTLY!!

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2010, 05:55:10 PM »
Now that I have heard that WankPlanet is being sponsored by Autism Speaks, I officially retract any statements about my desires of becoming a moderator. Like I had a chance in the first place. WP is the new Hell for me now.

You needn't have worried. Nobody would've picked you anyway.

richard

« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2010, 06:08:31 PM »
Now that I have heard that WankPlanet is being sponsored by Autism Speaks, WP is the new Hell for me now.
well alex wants to be famous or a movie star so im not suprised at all about how quickly his tune changed with them when they offerd to sponcer his budding film career.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2010, 10:41:11 PM »
Well it won't take long for this to set in and drive a new exodus. I mean by associating yourself to WP in the future, would imply indirect association to Autism Speaks. In fact the membership count could be used in a PR stunt to imply that the community of WP is a proud supporter of Autism Speaks. Even if they don't say it bluntly, such tricks in propaganda can be done by framing. So yeah, if WPfags want to escape this fate of being used as social pawns of Autism Speaks, either join up here, AFF, Spectrumites, or find a place listed in this thread:

http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,627.0.html
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.