Educational

Author Topic: Selt belts  (Read 380 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Selt belts
« on: August 03, 2010, 06:37:56 PM »
Yes I wear mine most of the time so that isn't the issue.  Here it is in Ct and many other states it's the law which I feel is silly even more so when you consider motorcycles they can't have one and are obviously more dangerous to top that they have no helmet law in Ct.  I see this as a contradiction and for some reason it bothers me.  I remember riding in the back of pick up trucks a ticket able offense in Ct  why if I can ride a motorcycle with no helmet and a questionable seat for the second passenger
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Selt belts
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 07:21:39 PM »
Yes I wear mine most of the time so that isn't the issue.  Here it is in Ct and many other states it's the law which I feel is silly even more so when you consider motorcycles they can't have one and are obviously more dangerous to top that they have no helmet law in Ct.  I see this as a contradiction and for some reason it bothers me.  I remember riding in the back of pick up trucks a ticket able offense in Ct  why if I can ride a motorcycle with no helmet and a questionable seat for the second passenger

Shhhhhhhh! Don't remind them!  :zombiefuck:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:07:15 PM »
In my state if you're injured in a traffic accident and not wearing your seat belt the at fault driver is only liable for the first $5000 in medical bills and a similar nominal amount for pain and suffering.  Makes real good sense to me.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:47:09 PM »
I think it's 21 or over w/2 years riding exp. here and then it's up to the rider.

Guy I knew is in a personal care home re-learning how to walk & talk again after an 85 yr old woman plowed into him as he was turning in his driveway about a 150 yards up from my mom's just last month.

Not sure how much difference a helmet would have made to his injuries, but considering the head trama I would have to say it probably would have made some.

He's not much older than myself, his son is around 17 or so, it sucks.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 12:45:17 AM »
Here, they are increasing the child booster seat age from 4 to 8.

I think it's crazy to have to buckle an average sized 7 year old into a child booster seat.  My daughter was tiny and I think she fit in the back seat with a regular seat belt when she was 7.

But we don't have to wear a helmet when we ride a motorcycle here, either.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 12:59:14 AM »
^ I can't believe no helmet for a motorcycle.

Traffic laws are crazy. My son's car got taken off the road for excessive noise...it was noisy, but reasonable....yet they let those big rumbling Harley bikes on the road that scare the shit out of you because they are so loud. I don't get that at all.

Offline normal_impaired

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 01:17:13 AM »
Yea, it's fine to have straight pipes on a bike, but not on a car.  Just like how a truck driver can't use his jake brake in some neighborhoods to help him slow down, but to have straight pipes on a bike that puts out twice as much noise as a jake brake, there's no problem with that.

As far as comparing riding in the back of a pickup with riding a motorcycle, if you slam on the brakes on a bike, you don't go flying through the back window and then through the windshield.  If you have real seats mounted back there with seatbelts, that's a different story.  When a friend of mine was bringing his Pontiac Fierro (one of the shittiest cars ever built) down to the junkyard, I grabbed his seats.  I welded angle irons onto the seat brackets and made a frame that fit the bed bolts in the back of my Ranger.  I had the two seats back there against the cab facing backwards with seat belts on them, and it passed inspection two years in a row.  I got pulled over a few times by cops who just wanted to make sure the seats were actually secured.
Autism Speaks would like to remind you that you don't exist, because there are no Autistic adults and autistic children are too braindead to be able to use a computer.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 12:28:48 PM »

You wear a seat belt most of the time? Wow. Here we wear seat belts all the time every time in a car.

I think with the motorcycle thing it's better to be able to slide away from the bike when you fall off. As long as you have your leathers on and a helmet, you should be okay most of the time if the accident isn't too serious.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 12:34:17 PM »

You wear a seat belt most of the time? Wow. Here we wear seat belts all the time every time in a car.

I think with the motorcycle thing it's better to be able to slide away from the bike when you fall off. As long as you have your leathers on and a helmet, you should be okay most of the time if the accident isn't too serious.

Yes most of the time when I was young nobody ever wore them I try and remember but don't always

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 07:39:07 AM »

Yes most of the time when I was young nobody ever wore them I try and remember but don't always

I was brought up to always do up my seatbelt. Although I do remember my cousins riding in the back of my uncles ute but my mother would never let me.

I can't imagine forgetting to put mine on, it would feel weird.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 10:58:08 AM »

I was brought up to always do up my seatbelt. Although I do remember my cousins riding in the back of my uncles ute but my mother would never let me.

Yeah same here, I'd just feel naked without a seatbelt on in the car.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 05:14:52 AM »

Yeah same here, I'd just feel naked without a seatbelt on in the car.

If I'm riding in a cab and the seat belt doesn't buckle properly, I will improvise by tying two seat belts together!  :nerd!:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 09:10:11 AM »
I always wear seatbelt in the car - I've seen too many gruesome photos on the internet

It makes sense for it to be illegal thoigh because if you're not wearing a seatbelt when you hit somehtng, you can go through the front and cause some damage

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 10:01:54 AM »
I always wear seatbelt in the car - I've seen too many gruesome photos on the internet

It makes sense for it to be illegal thoigh because if you're not wearing a seatbelt when you hit somehtng, you can go through the front and cause some damage

I think it's common sense which I will admit I do not have sometimes but it should not be legislated

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 12:30:43 PM »

I think it's common sense which I will admit I do not have sometimes but it should not be legislated

That's how I think as well.

I always wear my seat belt if there is one in the vehicle, even on a school bus, but I think legislating common sense for adults is going too far.

They just changed the law here to require booster seats for children under eight.