Educational

Author Topic: Close call today  (Read 677 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Close call today
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 07:41:53 PM »
I came close to a 16' fall on steel in about early June. Fortunately I was able to grab a cable tray rung and hang on and monkey bar my way out of trouble. It was nerve jarring.

Were you tied off?  Residential work nobody ever does unless osha is coming
I guess your Guardian Angel worked overtime today.

Hope the muscles (and other things that you won't find huting until tonight) heal quickly.

Lets hope he stuck around for when I bought lotto :2thumbsup:
I was tied off but I would have definitely hit steel before the lanyards could get anywhere near full potential.
I always wondered about that when your not that high.  I have never worn a harness but have been up about 50 feet before and regularly go 15 to 25.  Almost bought one once for a church but I didn't get the job
My D ring would have given 3' then another 3' before the lanyards begin to unravel, also I started by sitting on top of the beam that I didn't climb off of properly. 50' up without being tied off is not a good idea Parts.

Nobody ever was when I started on residential work.  The highest was on a house on the outside doing overhangs on about 8 sections of scaffolding up over rocks it was the guest house for the founder of Arista records there have been a few others too but that one sticks out I had to walk across a single masons plank to reach the end of where I had to go. Oh to be young and foolish again
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 07:43:04 PM »
I don't understand how people can work comfortably at such heights! I am very much afraid of heights myself!  :hide:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 07:44:37 PM »
I don't understand how people can work comfortably at such heights! I am very much afraid of heights myself!  :hide:

Believe it or not I am too sometimes you have to do what you have to do

George Bernard Shaw

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 07:46:35 PM »

Believe it or not I am too sometimes you have to do what you have to do

I guess that's the spirit that keeps me going through day after day of work that makes me smell like the inside of a dumpster!  :2thumbsup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

P7PSP

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 07:53:11 PM »
Nobody ever was when I started on residential work.  The highest was on a house on the outside doing overhangs on about 8 sections of scaffolding up over rocks it was the guest house for the founder of Arista records there have been a few others too but that one sticks out I had to walk across a single masons plank to reach the end of where I had to go. Oh to be young and foolish again
I have heard about that from people who worked like that. Residential is still like that to some extent here. I mostly work heavy industrial and refineries are heavily scrutinized by OSHA and Cal OSHA as well as being under the Coast Guard branch of Homeland Security.

I am afraid of heights under some circumstances.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 07:56:29 PM »
Osha is coming on more and more residential jobs around here because commercial work is so slow

George Bernard Shaw

P7PSP

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 08:01:26 PM »
Osha is coming on more and more residential jobs around here because commercial work is so slow
Now they can fine individuals as well as contractors.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 08:04:30 PM »
Now they can fine individuals as well as contractors.

It's all about the money

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 10:05:11 PM »

I have no problem with heights.  I have walked on ledges, catwalks, etc. with no problem.  I am terrified of falling, so I cannot go on most carnival rides.  The only Ferris Wheel I felt comfortable on was the Reisenrad in Vienna.  It was built in the 1890's or so.  It's a circle of large room sized boxes that have benches in them.  The room is moving and it's like taking an elevator, not a problem.

My husband on the other hand is terrified of heights, but can ride Ferris Wheels and Roller Coasters.  Go figure.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 10:26:23 PM »

Same here, tried to overcome it for years, but everytime I freeze up.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 05:41:48 AM »
I came close to a 16' fall on steel in about early June. Fortunately I was able to grab a cable tray rung and hang on and monkey bar my way out of trouble. It was nerve jarring.

Were you tied off?  Residential work nobody ever does unless osha is coming
I guess your Guardian Angel worked overtime today.

Hope the muscles (and other things that you won't find huting until tonight) heal quickly.

Lets hope he stuck around for when I bought lotto :2thumbsup:
I was tied off but I would have definitely hit steel before the lanyards could get anywhere near full potential.

I thought about seatbelts when I read this, and the mechanism they have for locking the belt in place when there's a sudden acceleration.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 04:11:26 PM »
Glad you are OK, Parts. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 04:34:57 PM »
thanks

George Bernard Shaw

Offline normal_impaired

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 11:47:43 PM »
"I'm not afraid of heights, I'm afraid of widths" -Steven Wright

I'm not afraid of heights as long as I know I'm secure.  Standing on scaffolding 30 feet up scares the crap out of me, but if there's a handrail, I could care less.  I can climb to the top of a 50' chairlift (ski lift) tower, and as long as I have my fall protection harness on and hooked to something secure (like the hoisting arm that's rated for 4000lbs).

I got a good shock of a different kind this morning, more of a real shock in that it came from a motor.  I was working on the limit switch of a 110vac gearhead motor for an adjustable bed.  Before you mention it, yes, I did unplug it before pulling it apart, what I forgot to do however was to discharge the starter capacitors.  This thing had two big 500v capacitors (they looked like D batteries) and they were wired in parallel.  I accidentally touched the lead to one while I had my other hand on the bed frame which was still grounded via a different motor.  I didn't see a spark, and since it was only capacitors, it was a really quick jolt rather than an electrocuting connection.  Even at less than a few hundred milliwatts, 1000 volts can still get your attention.

It's kinda like when you walk across a carpet in socks and touch a metal light switch plate (doorknobs aren't typically grounded and won't give the same power of a shock) except that rather than having to build up the charge, it's already stored in two capacitors rated for 500v each, which packs a punch.

If you want to know what this feels like, find an old CRT TV (not a flat screen, but the old curved glass type, preferably with an antenna still attached).  Turn the TV on and rub your hand all over the screen, you'll feel the static.  Then shut off the TV and rub it again and you'll feel a lot more static on your hand.  Once you aren't feeling any more static from the screen, touch the antenna with your other hand, you won't get your finger within a quarter inch before you see a bright spark and feel the electricity in your finger muscles.  What happened to me earlier today is basically that shock times 4.
Autism Speaks would like to remind you that you don't exist, because there are no Autistic adults and autistic children are too braindead to be able to use a computer.

Offline Diesel

• Log splitting aspie elitist
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 06:33:19 PM »
Close one. Glad you're alright.