Author Topic: Space Weather Report  (Read 284 times)

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Space Weather Report
« on: August 03, 2010, 03:40:57 PM »
space weather report

CME IMPACT! The first of possibly two incoming CMEs hit Earth's magnetic field today at approximately 1730 UT (1:30 pm EDT). As a result of the impact, a polar geomagnetic storm is brewing. High-lattitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras after nightfall

COMPLEX ERUPTION ON THE SUN: On August 1st, the entire Earth-facing side of the sun erupted in a tumult of activity. There was a C3-class solar flare, a solar tsunami, multiple filaments of magnetism lifting off the stellar surface, large-scale shaking of the solar corona, radio bursts, a coronal mass ejection and more

recordings by extreme UV cameras onboard the Solar Dynamics Observatory shows an enormous magnetic filament breaking away from the sun. Some of the breakaway material is now en route to Earth in the form of a coronal mass ejection (CME).

Seeing the sun erupt on such a global scale has galvanized the international community of solar physicists. Researchers are still sorting out the complex sequence of events and trying to understand why they all happened at once. Stay tuned for more movies and analyses in the days ahead.

SUNSPOT SUNRISE: Sunspot 1092, a key player in the Earth-directed eruptions of August 1st, is big enough to see without the aid of a solar telescope. Oleg Toumilovitch "spotted" it on July 31st rising over Blairgowrie, South Africa:

During the first few minutes of sunrise only a fraction of the sunlight makes it's way to the observer - mostly from the red part of visible spectrum," notes Toumilovitch. "During this time large sunspots can be seen without a special solar filter." Be careful, though! Even when dimmed by clouds and haze, direct sunlight can hurt your eyes. "If you try to take a picture like this," advises Toumilovitch, "look only at the screen of your digital camera, not the optical viewfinder."

http://spaceweather.com/

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Space Weather Report
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 04:02:55 PM »
I used to read space weather everyday when I was into shortwave.  This sounds like a good one wish I was further North to see the show
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 05:28:32 PM »
this one was pretty big ,so we may be able to see it in the south

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 05:31:10 PM »
Never saw them I am in Connecticut not sure the last time they were spotted here.  Think there will be any electrical problems or satellite failures

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 05:54:35 PM »
This sounds very cool.  We have been completely overcast here for the past couple of days, unfortunately.

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 06:19:54 PM »
Never saw them I am in Connecticut not sure the last time they were spotted here.  Think there will be any electrical problems or satellite failures
should be some forms of satallite communications problems , more than likely nothing big.

The big ones start in late 2012 -2013. I would make preparations for that event. The world elite sure are . If you are in the bunker building industry ,I am sure you have more than you can handle.

Be prepared for the US power grid to go down.

Our power grid should have been #1 on the infrastructure rebuild list.
tsk ,tsk.

Then again the elite of the world dont care about us peasants.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 06:24:57 PM »
should be some forms of satallite communications problems , more than likely nothing big.

The big ones start in late 2012 -2013. I would make preparations for that event. The world elite sure are . If you are in the bunker building industry ,I am sure you have more than you can handle.

Be prepared for the US power grid to go down.

Our power grid should have been #1 on the infrastructure rebuild list.
tsk ,tsk.

Then again the elite of the world dont care about us peasants.

I want to have my wood gasifier by then for my generator.  I have a nice very simple old genset I am rebuilding with a cast iron engine block plus the regular one I use for work

George Bernard Shaw

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 07:35:09 AM »
Solar tsunami hitting Earth causes dramatic Aurora Borealis display
Reported by One News Page Staff on Wednesday, 4 August 2010 (34 minutes ago)

by Marc Pinter-Krainer -

Spectacular displays of the northern lights ("Aurora Borealis") were seen across the Northern Hemisphere on Tuesday night. Skygazers enjoyed dramatic views of auroras across the northern United States, Canada, Scandinavia, Germany and the United Kingdom.

The aurora displays were caused by an exceptionally strong sun storm which resulted in our star ejecting billions of tons of superheated gas "plasma" into space. This event is known as a "coronal mass ejection" and the plasma travels through space at around one million miles an hour. Three and a half days later, the plasma started to arrive at Earth and caused spectacular aurora displays as it interacted with the Earth's magnetic field.

For those located in suitably northern locations it may not be too late to spot these dramatic displays as the auroras are predicted to continue for another couple of days.

The sun flare which caused the current solar eruption was relatively small, and there have been much larger flares in the past. However, this flare was the first in a long time to be directed towards our planet.

NASA had originally warned that the solar storm could cause havoc with the electrical systems on Earth, such as disruptions of telecommunications, computers and power grids. However, no major disruptions have been reported.

http://www.onenewspage.com/news/Science/20100804/13716573/Solar-tsunami-hitting-Earth-causes-dramatic-Aurora-Borealis.htm
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 07:37:07 AM by skyblue1 »

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 07:46:22 AM »
Walked out about two AM this morning to have a look and my first impression was that THIS IS AWESOMER THAN ANYTHING!!!

Turns out I was not watching "northern lights," in fact,  but rather, I was witness to an almost equally mesmerizing display made by the exchange of purple and orange ball lightning between two huge storm systems that were about forty miles north of me.

I feel certain, however, that the two are both related to the "Coronal Mass Ejection" phenomena we have witnessed this week.

Anyone else seen ball lightning between clouds? It looked like a pure purple mass that glowed with an orange light, about the size of the sun, in angular perspective, as it blasted between the high clouds - first in one direction, then in back again.  I suppose Mother Nature is still trying to get all these new posts from the sun organized into her earthly forum?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 08:43:11 AM »
I haven't seen it.  I went outside about midnight last night and there was a break in the clouds barely big enough to see the Big Dipper.

On the bright side, my lawn and garden are happy to get all the rain.

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 09:13:12 AM »
would have liked to have seen that.  :indeed: