Educational

Author Topic: what's everybody's favourite sweets?  (Read 7326 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: what's everybody's favourite sweets?
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2016, 10:44:41 AM »
  Some of my favorite sweets are the ones I can't have anymore due to dental problems. :trollskull:
  Among those:  Toffee bars (Heath and Skor), Charleston Chew (vanilla nougat), and licorice jelly beans.

Something I've been doing lately is sucking my candy. (Why does that read obscene?)  The flavour
varies a bit with the different layers on some candies and they last longer.  My current favorite to suck is Snickers. REALLY different.  Or  you could put the stuff in coffee or tea and let it melt.  Licorice tea might be good.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2016, 12:59:43 PM »

We have a new Greek restaurant in town (nearby town) and I have become obsessed with the many ways that kataifi is prepared.

Our chef makes an almond/caramel type with a creme cheese dip, a walnut saltwater taffy style with wine based dip and a pecan and hazel nut, rendered maple syrup dip variety.
Fabulous!
:DROOL:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2016, 01:07:59 PM »
  Some of my favorite sweets are the ones I can't have anymore due to dental problems. :trollskull:
  Among those:  Toffee bars (Heath and Skor), Charleston Chew (vanilla nougat), and licorice jelly beans.

Something I've been doing lately is sucking my candy. (Why does that read obscene?) The flavour
varies a bit with the different layers on some candies and they last longer.  My current favorite to suck is Snickers. REALLY different.  Or  you could put the stuff in coffee or tea and let it melt.  Licorice tea might be good.

Maybe because you are admitting to sucking your own candy.
 :dunno:

Post pics? :evillaugh:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2016, 09:44:28 AM »
Wish  someone would make PR in candy form. Although actually getting any sweeter than she, now that would pose some HUGE manufacturing problems.

(and do pass my well wishes for a good day on to her royal gorgeousness, QV:))

As for sucking snickers bars..hhaha damn I do that, I thought I was the only one! I love the way the crappy ass milk chocolate (no particular complaint, other than that its milk chocolate..dark chocolate is where its at. 95% cocoa, is what chocolate should be, brittle, dark, and bittersweet.)

But I like the way once one has gotten rid of the chocolate, then there is the layer of slightly salted toffee/caramel on top of the nougat, and they somehow contrive to last together, just long enough so that neither is left alone, then finally, the peanuts, still embedded in just a wee coating of salted caramel. YUM.

Works with mars bars too, but not as satisfying without the texture. If you want a suggestion QV, then try 'bounty' bars, the ones with the coconut centers surrounded with a layer of almost-dark-ish chocolate, They kinda melt and fall apart into flaky sweet coconut if you hold them orally captive long enough.

Or best of all 'dime' bars, they are mostly a crunchy texture if chewed, but sucked then they are heavily salted compared to the others, and it lasts a long time.

And another thing I've been doing is getting twix bars, and putting one on the table, then breaking their fingers by whacking them repeatedly with the heavy, solid onyx mortar from my mortar and pestle (or one of them, rather) to pulverize them whilst still inside the wrapper, the result, after slicing the end of the wrapping off is a lovely kinda crunchy, toffee-laden semipowder thats chewy.

Lovely.

And lol, just trust a pack of aspies, with the occasional grizzled old Kanner's spesh-as-all-Styx dyed in the wool autist, to come up with such tweaks and innovations and oddball practices to get to work on things like candy. The texture-tweaking is kinda fun. But just..well..typical US to come up with that kind of treatment for candies. Kind of amuses me really.

And try this-get a cadbury's 'flake' bar, the flaky long pieces of airy chocolate, and whilst in the wrapper, smash it to pieces with say, the ball of a fist, whack, whack whack whack, open, open your trap and pour the whole thing in at once, as a continual stream of fine chocolate powder that melts in the mouth after just a moment. Be warned for those who can put on weight if they eat, its really easy to just say fuck it and eat the entire pack. I managed to eat about 4-5 multipacks of twix bars that way last  night, doing that squishing thing. And THAT was when my appetite was suppresed by a BIG dose of meth:P

So do take into account how fast you finish them, because if not then they will all be gone in no time flat:D
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2016, 01:07:51 PM »
I suddenly remembered mr. Collins, reading in this thread. Wrong kind of sweet, that man. The sweet smell of decay and groveling.

I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2016, 03:43:57 PM »
The sweet smell of decay and groveling.
:laugh:

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2016, 08:58:09 PM »
I couldn't suck on something which I could just munch on and swallow right away.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2016, 09:40:41 PM »
I couldn't suck on something which I could just munch on and swallow right away.
I am the same. Last time I had a lollipop, I didn't suck it, I just chewed it off the stick.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2016, 10:06:49 PM »
The sweet smell of decay and groveling.
:laugh:

I'm sigging that.  It seems to pertain to many different situations.  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2016, 04:00:58 PM »
Currently munching my way through a big bag of bonfire toffee lollipops.

Also, have none now, but I LOVE cinder toffee, coltsfoot rock, liquorice rock, salted salmiac liquorice, and 95% cocoa dark chocolate with either chilli pepper, salt, lime or various combinations thereof.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2016, 08:45:08 AM »
Salted liquorice is amazing, including salmiac. I like the hot turkish pepper one too. My favourite is the chocolate bar with bits of salty liquorice in it. I had the McFlurry version when I was staying in Sweden, that was pretty good. As for my favourite sweet, it would have to be the Drumstick lolly. It's my alltime favourite sweet. That, and chocolate. Strawberry chocolate is the best, and Japan has the best sweets, including strawberry chocolate, like their Taiyaki strawberry chocolate Areo-like sweet. This: http://www.blippo.com/meito-puku-puku-tai-fish-shaped-wafer-strawberry.html

Some of Japan's gummy sweets taste way better than anyone elses too. I can't remember the brands.
:dog:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2016, 01:02:50 PM »
Some of Japan's gummy sweets taste way better than anyone elses too. I can't remember the brands.

I've heard that, I really need to order some...I love gummies.

Love these.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2016, 02:08:39 PM »
I love gummies. I like Swedish Fish too, though I think they're American, not sure.

Though these aren't a sweet, I love Combos from America, especially the pizza flavoured ones. I ordered a packet the other day while trying to add up the total for an eBay voucher. I got a free Butterbeer. It was way too much for the price but I couldn't think of anything I wanted.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2016, 05:45:28 PM »
I love gummies. I like Swedish Fish too, though I think they're American, not sure.

Though these aren't a sweet, I love Combos from America, especially the pizza flavoured ones. I ordered a packet the other day while trying to add up the total for an eBay voucher. I got a free Butterbeer. It was way too much for the price but I couldn't think of anything I wanted.

I think the company that first introduced them was Sweden based, that was about it.

Combos...the pizza are the best.  :laugh:

They are actually hard to find sometimes anymore, they were crazy popular in the 80's and everywhere you looked.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2016, 06:11:47 PM »
How odd. They're about £3 here for a big pack of Combos, including postage...which isn't too bad. I mean, Reeses Puffs range from £5-7, which I wouldn't pay. They're so damned good though.

A big bunch of American sweets are cheaper here these days, Butterfingers are about a £1, you can get 5 Reeses cups for a £1 and Hersheys Cookies n' Creme for the price of a normal chocolate bar.

I was introduced to a whole bunch of American stuff when I was about 12. Combos was one of them, Reeses cups and Butterfinger were others. And Charlesington Chew which I thought was horrible. A lot of American sweets are bad. Hersheys chocolate isn't chocolate, it's cardboard.

Having said that, English chocolate isn't what it used to be. When Cadbury got taken over, they made all the chocolate taste like soy. Soy lecithin they add to everything these days, almost everything, even bread, even eye sprays.. contain soy.

Oh, I love s'mores, that's a great invention.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:58:14 PM by justcurious »