Educational

Author Topic: High-rise farming ?  (Read 624 times)

Offline normal_impaired

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
Re: High-rise farming ?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 08:59:35 PM »
:agreed:  ^^^ I was being sarcastisc, in case you didn't already know.  ;)

I have ass burgers, I don't know what sarcasm is.
Autism Speaks would like to remind you that you don't exist, because there are no Autistic adults and autistic children are too braindead to be able to use a computer.

Scrapheap

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 11:47:38 PM »
:agreed:  ^^^ I was being sarcastisc, in case you didn't already know.  ;)

I have ass burgers, I don't know what sarcasm is.

I have ADD. What are we talking about??  :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 12:24:43 PM »
Rooftop Farm in Brooklyn Overlooking Manhattan Skyscrapers
Posted by Hannah Geller, May 27, 2009 at 7:00 PM
Not just a tree, but a whole farm, grows in Brooklyn. Former E-Trade marketing manager Ben Flanner and New York Botanical Garden educational director Annie Novak started planting a whole salad full of veggie crops atop a former bagel factory in April.

Since the duo talked about the rooftop farm at last month's Brooklyn Food Conference, tattooed volunteers have flocked to the decidedly un-bucolic Greenpoint neighborhood. There, they seed, shovel, and sow, and are rewarded with quinoa for lunch and a sense of legitimacy. Some volunteers arrive lovingly clutching bags of compost, which they gratefully donate to the farm. “We had more, but our landlord made us throw it away!” griped one, holding a slightly skimpy sack.

The Greenpoint farm was landscaped by Chris and Lisa Goode of Goode Green. The two founded their own sustainable rooftop development company after success with their own Little Italy farm, complete with chickens and fruit trees. Flanner contacted the couple after reading about them in New York last year, making up for his lack of farming background with sheer enthusiasm. After signing up the Greenpoint building owner and experienced gardener Novak, the rest was history.

In addition to the vegetables, Eagle Street Rooftop Farm—it's on the corner of West End and Eagle Street—also includes an apiary, which helps pollinate and spread the crops. They’re planning on selling their vegetables to several local restaurants, including Marlow & Sons and Diner. Putting the "green" back in “Greenpoint," Ben will make all deliveries on his bike.

Standing knee-deep in pea plants and overlooking the Manhattan skyline, the whole project seems a bit utopian. But for some New Yorkers, a vegetable-filled rooftop is far more conceivable and practical than moving to the country. Novak agrees. “When these farmers go in and lecture these inner city kids about dairy farming in upstate New York, it’s in one ear and out the other. But I can tell them, I have two farms in the city,” and they can take the subway and come help on the weekends

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2009/05/eagle-street-rooftop-farm-in-greenpoint-brooklyn-nyc-volunteering.html

Offline normal_impaired

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 12:39:08 PM »
Is it just me or is anyone else getting the feeling that the writer of these articles doesn't seem to understand the difference between a garden and a farm?  You really can't have a full production farm on top of a building.  Sure you can have a garden, and sell produce from the garden on a small scale, but you can't compete with someone who owns even an acre of land.

Autism Speaks would like to remind you that you don't exist, because there are no Autistic adults and autistic children are too braindead to be able to use a computer.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 12:44:14 PM »
Is it just me or is anyone else getting the feeling that the writer of these articles doesn't seem to understand the difference between a garden and a farm?  You really can't have a full production farm on top of a building.  Sure you can have a garden, and sell produce from the garden on a small scale, but you can't compete with someone who owns even an acre of land.

Maybe the writer figures "high-rise gardening " would make everyone think of hothouse flowers, whereas "high-rise farming " more clearly implies the growing of food:chin:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 12:49:38 PM »

Maybe the writer figures "high-rise gardening " would make everyone think of hothouse flowers, whereas "high-rise farming " more clearly implies the growing of food:chin:
I would say that it is you who does not understand in this instance.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 12:52:22 PM »

I would say that it is you who does not understand in this instance.

Explain it then! :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 01:15:11 PM »
in a lot of inner city communities the residents only have access to convienence store for their food , so the high rise farming and rooftop farming methods would give the food for a better diet.

this would especially pay off if they co-opt their efforts and everyone contributed to the work

would also be good for drought stricken countries where growing outside is not possible.

"farms " do not have to be large scale.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
I think a bonus of the inner-city communities growing vegetables is educational, and it is community building. People take some pride in what they achieve together. You don't have to be a social wizard to participate. There is something to do for all who want to.

It is not high production farming. But it does make a difference, more than just the grown vegetables.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 01:51:08 PM »
community is a Big word when everyone participates

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 02:00:05 PM »
A functional community needs not much more than little things I think.

What I saw on documentaries on a few community city gardens (both fruit and fun gardens) was that there was a sense of shared responsibility.

Not that much more needed I think. When you push for much more, it is bound to shatter in pieces because of distrust and what not is my pessimistic view.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!