Author Topic: DUI check points  (Read 2012 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: DUI check points
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2010, 02:37:08 PM »
That's the case with my car. It's a good thing.

Me too I don't miss turning them on and off.  It's such a simple thing to put on a car  don't know why all cars don't have it

It's baffling.

Remember when seatbelts  were optional, rather than standard? (I don't, but my mother mentioned it.) :chin:

In Sweden they were standard very early but didn't become compulsory to use before the 1970's and just in the front seat to start with. It wasn't compulsory to use seatbelts in the backseat here until 1985 or something.

It's like gun laws. Freedoms are taken away gradually, so that people won't oppose it very much.

Awww the olden days.

When my Granddad just went to the city hall to pick up his driverslicence. Not only for a sedan, also for truck driving, bus driving and all. He had every licence you could think of. And he never had to do a test for it. (OK, after he got 75 he did need a medical test for every renewal)

The olden days, when there were hardly cars, so, hardly crashes.

There is a direct link between amount of cars on the roads, and the speed they can develop on the one side, and the obligation to wear seat-belts on the other side.

Yes, when I was young, cars had no seatbelts. In my street, there were hardly people with a car. Only those who needed one for work had one. Now, many households have more than one car. And cars go a lot faster too. Much more chance that there will be collisions, and also more chance that it will be hard collisions.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

TheoK

« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2010, 02:42:31 PM »
Awww the olden days.

When my Granddad just went to the city hall to pick up his driverslicence. Not only for a sedan, also for truck driving, bus driving and all. He had every licence you could think of. And he never had to do a test for it. (OK, after he got 75 he did need a medical test for every renewal)

The olden days, when there were hardly cars, so, hardly crashes.

There is a direct link between amount of cars on the roads, and the speed they can develop on the one side, and the obligation to wear seat-belts on the other side.

Yes, when I was young, cars had no seatbelts. In my street, there were hardly people with a car. Only those who needed one for work had one. Now, many households have more than one car. And cars go a lot faster too. Much more chance that there will be collisions, and also more chance that it will be hard collisions.

When my parents were young, you could get a license for a motorcycle here just by swearing on your honour that you had one before when applying for your car license.

My granddad got his car license simply by driving up the steepest street in town in winter. Grandpa was  :viking:

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2010, 07:31:09 PM »
It'd be funny if someone were to go on a spree killing the cops that hide out at DUI checkpoints.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2010, 07:33:12 PM »
It'd be funny if someone were to go on a spree killing the cops that hide out at DUI checkpoints.

No it wouldn't
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2010, 07:36:50 PM »

No it wouldn't
Then the drunk drivers would roam free, so they can get in accidents with people and cause death and mayhem.   It would be funny to me at least, maybe not to you, but it is not like your sense of humor matters to me in the slightest.
:P   Internets are super serious.

TheoK

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2010, 11:47:09 PM »
 :viking:

And killing cops is just so right.  8)

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2010, 12:56:24 PM »
Passed one today on the way home today,  your thoughts?

I feel they are no more than fishing expectations they get little done and just give the cops a reason to look in your car. They are a waste of money and before you say anything about all the violations they catch most are lights that or out and seat belts.  I hate to see MY money wasted in a way that violates my rights as a citizen.  BTW they have seat belt ones here too

QFT. If you can drive through a checkpoint you're not drunk.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2010, 01:14:52 PM »
That's the case with my car. It's a good thing.

Me too I don't miss turning them on and off.  It's such a simple thing to put on a car  don't know why all cars don't have it

It's baffling.

Remember when seatbelts  were optional, rather than standard? (I don't, but my mother mentioned it.) :chin:

In Sweden they were standard very early but didn't become compulsory to use before the 1970's and just in the front seat to start with. It wasn't compulsory to use seatbelts in the backseat here until 1985 or something.

It's like gun laws. Freedoms are taken away gradually, so that people won't oppose it very much.

::)

"Threats to freedom of speech, writing and action, though often trivial in isolation, are cumulative in their effect and, unless checked, lead to a general disrespect for the rights of the citizen."--George Orwell
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2010, 03:28:46 PM »
I'm not worried about guns. I'm worried about the people who might use them.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Osensitive1

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2010, 07:52:48 PM »
"To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail." - Mark Twain

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2016, 12:15:48 PM »

I thought of doing that at one point.

It would serve them right for setting up Police State, Monetary shake down points.

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2016, 03:39:52 PM »

I thought of doing that at one point.

It would serve them right for setting up Police State, Monetary shake down points.

Someone misses the attention

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2016, 07:39:22 PM »
I miss giving Pappy attention too.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2016, 09:51:25 PM »
Having had an alcoholic for a father who sometimes drove drunk, but only had one accident while under the influence, I heartily approve of DUI checkpoints.  He and everyone else on the road was damn lucky it was a one-car accident, but I still am mad the cops didn't test him.  He probably pulled the "I'm an auxiliary policeman" routine on them.  He did bang up his leg bad enough that he was in surgery and a cast for quite a while.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2016, 05:42:59 AM »
I approve of them, but not when they set them up 200 yards from your liquor establishment. Since this not only targets the patrons but also reflects back on the establishment.

Maybe I'm bias since SO has a bar. But let me tell you how hard "visibly intoxicated" can be.

You have patrons come in and you have no idea if they came from home or if they hit the other 2 bars in town before they got there. I've seen people "visibly intoxicated" after two drinks, I've seen career drinkers that appear right as rain after 10+, but that would probably still fail a breathalyzer. 

Fortunately for others "visibly intoxicated" usually gets you a ride home from his establishment, since he is dealing with all locals...a drunk driver killing himself or taking others with him is just not tragic it's extremely detrimental to your business when people come back and try to sue you, and in today's world they will. 

Even if that drunk got drunk before he came there...that was the last place he was. "You refused to serve him...but you let him drive home." 

You don't just run a bar, you run a babysitting service also.