Educational

Author Topic: DUI check points  (Read 2027 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: DUI check points
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 03:45:12 PM »
Jack holes who drink and drive deserve to get caught.

Yes, they do deserve to get caught.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 03:56:30 PM »
Those dimmed lights help others see the vehicle just a tad earlier, which sometimes is enough to avoid an accident. I think I drive a lot more than you do and have a lot of personal experience in this case, while you only want to piss and moan on principle.

I ask again: why bother when there are no downsides other than you believing it's about personal integrity?

It is about personal integrity, that's exactly why.

And since I live in the countryside I drive at least some thousand kms a year.

I beg to differ. Seatbelts have saved quite a few lives, and helped avoid more serious accidents on occasion. As I said, you just like to piss and moan.

And you have control issues and think that you have more control yourself if the state controls you, which is completely wrong.

You never read the Lysander Spooner page that I linked to, of course?

It's my body and since it's a civil right to get hospital care here, I should not have to wear a seat belt. They don't force fat people to lose weight or smokers to quit to save resorurces, so why humiliating people by forcing them to wear seat belts? It's actually more likely that I would be in favour of seat belts if they were voluntarily to wear. The mere fact that some idiots play God and decide that I shall wear them makes me feel outraged.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 04:08:50 PM »
In the first case, your so-called personal integrity could get someone killed.  Those dimmed lights don't cause you any loss of any civil rights but they do help others to spot you a little earlier. Now, you might think that it doesn't matter but it does. I drive around 30,000 km a year, Lit, and I'm quite used to people thinking it's cool to drive without them but it's really not. I don't worry a lot for my own sake but I know for a fact that an eyesight that is deemed good enough for a license can be bad enough for an accident to happen, IF that person isn't allowed those extra seconds.

I know; the docs could pull their licenses, but In that case you'd be robbing them of their legal right to drive a car, in which case it would be about personal integrity.

In the latter case, it's not about the state at all. I know for a fact that seatbelts help save lives, including, sometimes, those of people who accept this but encounter a car whose driver ignores them. Have you any idea of how much money Volvo puts into researching this?

I know; it's your body, but could you please get rid of the body in a way that doesn't have to include others?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 04:28:07 PM »
Most people dying from traffic accidents are probably not killed by the body of a driver or front seat passenger being thrown through the windscreen.

And the whole concept of forcing people to do things for their own good is wrong. Anyone believing in their own cause shouldn't feel a need to force people to do what they want them to do.

Read Spooner, he is very enlightening.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
It is interesting how you completely ignore my points re doing things for *others*.

- Albert Einstein

Osensitive1

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2010, 04:55:08 PM »
They don't force fat people to lose weight or smokers to quit to save resorurces, so why humiliating people by forcing them to wear seat belts?
No one is forced to wear seat belts, just like no one is forced to drive the speed limit. Smoking and drinking have sin taxes, and the fines and insurance increases involved with unsafe driving are like that. Although from a libertarian point of view, you have a good point. Drinking and speeding endangers others, while seat belt use doesn't.

TheoK

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2010, 05:29:28 PM »
It is interesting how you completely ignore my points re doing things for *others*.

I don't do things for others. I have no moral obligation to do that. I just don't purposely cause others harm, which is the only moral obligation to others there could ever be.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2010, 05:39:17 PM »
When they set them up near nightclubs and bars etc at night, fair enough. But when they use then to check warrants etc, fuck you pig!

This was in the middle of a main road not near the bars or anything.  Almost all the people who get tickets are not for DUI just other stuff they like to bust balls about.  I was glad my wife was driving I always get stopped and the fact that I am always anxious is a very bad thing

The last roadblock I was caught in was when I was driving at midnight to buy the last Harry Potter book that had just been released.

It was a major road with no bars anywhere around, too.  The policeman questioned me about why I was out so late at night and where I was going.  I told him that I was going to buy the new Harry Potter book and he asked me if I was going to Barnes and Noble.  I said no, I was going to Borders Books and Music (which is the bookstore that was actually on this road, not Barnes and Noble).  I told him that my husband calls it Barnes and Noble sometimes too.

Osensitive1

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2010, 05:41:55 PM »
I don't do things for others. I have no moral obligation to do that. I just don't purposely cause others harm, which is the only moral obligation to others there could ever be.
That's sort of a really nice thing to say.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010, 06:46:54 PM »
I agree drunk drivers should be caught but the road blocks are a waste of resources and time.  They catch few drunks and are basically a publicity exercise.Mostly it's just a way for the cops to give people a hard time and poke around in their cars. Like I said I am the very nervous type and am run through the hoops at every police/security type thing I go to as being nervous means you must be hiding something
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Osensitive1

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010, 07:11:08 PM »
Natural nerves aside, even if the police give the whole run down, it doesn't matter if someone looks like they're hiding something when they're not.

Edit: Not sure about the waste of time thing. Don't really encounter them that often. Guess it could be.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 07:13:17 PM by Osensitive1 »

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 07:30:56 PM »
Natural nerves aside, even if the police give the whole run down, it doesn't matter if someone looks like they're hiding something when they're not.

Edit: Not sure about the waste of time thing. Don't really encounter them that often. Guess it could be.

To me it does I won't be the same for days going on about it till my wife just can't take it.  I have also been threatened with arrest for being uncooperative as I have a hard time controlling what I say at times.  In general if they just put the extra officers out on patrol looking for drunks they would catch more
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Osensitive1

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 08:25:03 PM »
Once was on the interstate and saw a sign for narcotics checkpoint ahead, or something like that. The sign was right before an exit, which looked clear, and the road sloped so the view ahead was blocked. On the other side of the exit, the on ramp was full of police cars and vans, but they could only be seen after passing the exit. Pretty slick.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 10:43:02 PM »
Once was on the interstate and saw a sign for narcotics checkpoint ahead, or something like that. The sign was right before an exit, which looked clear, and the road sloped so the view ahead was blocked. On the other side of the exit, the on ramp was full of police cars and vans, but they could only be seen after passing the exit. Pretty slick.

If they had the sign right before the exit, then the place they would really want to watch would be the exit, since anyone who had narcotics in their car would try to turn off there.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 12:01:55 AM »

So which parts of my posts do you not understand?

- Albert Einstein