Author Topic: DUI check points  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
DUI check points
« on: May 28, 2010, 08:57:54 PM »
Passed one today on the way home today,  your thoughts?

I feel they are no more than fishing expectations they get little done and just give the cops a reason to look in your car. They are a waste of money and before you say anything about all the violations they catch most are lights that or out and seat belts.  I hate to see MY money wasted in a way that violates my rights as a citizen.  BTW they have seat belt ones here too
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

Re: DUI check points
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 09:06:48 PM »
They just want to fill their quota, as we say here.

It's some $500 or so driving without a seat belt here. Ridiculous, since all  Swedes pay their health care with their taxes.

And we have to keep the dimmed headlights on all the time.

Another brilliant Swedish law, that is pretty new, says that the authorities can't set a higher speed limit on one part of a road if they don't set a lower one at another part at the same time.  :duh:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 09:11:38 PM »

It's some $500 or so driving without a seat belt here. Ridiculous, since all  Swedes pay their health care with their taxes.

Another brilliant Swedish law, that is pretty new, says that the authorities can't set a higher speed limit on one part of a road if they don't set a lower one at another part at the same time.  :duh:

It's $174 for seat belts here

No high beams?  What do you do on country roads and to piss off those ahead of you?

George Bernard Shaw

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 09:14:14 PM »

No high beams?  What do you do on country roads and to piss off those ahead of you?

They hurl :viking: fireworks out of the car windows!
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 11:06:04 PM »
Having had an alcoholic for a father I'm all for checkpoints.  He had at least one accident drunk and thankfully only hurt himself.  Stupid cop thought the broken leg was punishment enough and didn't test him for alcohol. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

TheoK

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 02:27:35 AM »

Oh, no no, we have to have the head lights on 24/7, though we have to have them dimmed in broad daylight.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 03:25:41 AM »
When they set them up near nightclubs and bars etc at night, fair enough. But when they use then to check warrants etc, fuck you pig!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 04:26:44 AM »

Oh, no no, we have to have the head lights on 24/7, though we have to have them dimmed in broad daylight.

Which helps avoid a few accidents but does not have any real downsides. It's a non-issue. Why you'd piss and moan about something like that is beyond me.

And it is a well-established fact that seatbelts save lives.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 05:12:15 AM »

We call those daytime running light we don't have to have them but all new cars do.  I thought you meant highbeams.  I could care less about day time lights mine go on and off on there own

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 05:15:52 AM »
When they set them up near nightclubs and bars etc at night, fair enough. But when they use then to check warrants etc, fuck you pig!

This was in the middle of a main road not near the bars or anything.  Almost all the people who get tickets are not for DUI just other stuff they like to bust balls about.  I was glad my wife was driving I always get stopped and the fact that I am always anxious is a very bad thing

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 12:04:18 PM »

This was in the middle of a main road not near the bars or anything.  Almost all the people who get tickets are not for DUI just other stuff they like to bust balls about.  I was glad my wife was driving I always get stopped and the fact that I am always anxious is a very bad thing

I could be hauling a carload of bibles & 3 nuns and still look guilty of something.

Then again, if they knew me and that was the case they would KNOW I was up to something, heathen that I am. :laugh:

Offline normal_impaired

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 12:09:30 PM »
They hurl :viking: fireworks out of the car windows!

Last summer, a New Hampshire statie gave me a $250 ticket for flicking a cigarette butt out the window during a rainstorm.  He got out of his car in the pouring rain to give me the ticket which cited me for littering and "causing a wildfire hazard".
Autism Speaks would like to remind you that you don't exist, because there are no Autistic adults and autistic children are too braindead to be able to use a computer.

TheoK

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 01:21:52 PM »
Which helps avoid a few accidents but does not have any real downsides. It's a non-issue. Why you'd piss and moan about something like that is beyond me.

It's non of their business. They could fine the few idiots who don't know when to have the lights on or not, but no, they do as they always do: punish the 98-99% of people who know how to do something properly in beforehand by forcing them to follow an idiotic law.

It's even less of their business. They don't own my life.

And besides, the lives "saved" are often lives as cripples. Without a seat belt they would simply have died.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 01:23:44 PM by TheoK »

Osensitive1

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 03:28:19 PM »
Jack holes who drink and drive deserve to get caught.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 03:44:44 PM »

It's non of their business. They could fine the few idiots who don't know when to have the lights on or not, but no, they do as they always do: punish the 98-99% of people who know how to do something properly in beforehand by forcing them to follow an idiotic law.

Those dimmed lights help others see the vehicle just a tad earlier, which sometimes is enough to avoid an accident. I think I drive a lot more than you do and have a lot of personal experience in this case, while you only want to piss and moan on principle.

I ask again: why bother when there are no downsides other than you believing it's about personal integrity?

It's even less of their business. They don't own my life.

And besides, the lives "saved" are often lives as cripples. Without a seat belt they would simply have died.

I beg to differ. Seatbelts have saved quite a few lives, and helped avoid more serious accidents on occasion. As I said, you just like to piss and moan.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein