Author Topic: If Plank is a fraud  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
If Plank is a fraud
« on: May 18, 2010, 12:35:22 AM »
Then so are these other people who own these sites:

Aspergic
Daily Diapers
ADISC
ASD Relationships
Psych Forums

They all have the donation button except ASD Relationships because I don't see it anymore.

Any other sites or forums you know that ask for money?

• Newtype of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: If Plank is a fraud
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:49:32 AM »
AFF doesn't ask for them, but we...appreciate them.

Had a load of Mind-Mapping software licences donated the other day - we ended up forwarding the donation to ASAN.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 01:20:07 AM »
Why does asking for donation makes them frauds sites? Running a website isn't free you know.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 01:40:27 AM »
Some people say Alex is a fraud because he asks for money. There's been the talk about it here and someone once asked about it on WP and even a 15 year old from Aspergic said something about it and my friend Feral Aspie has bitched about him asking for money. So my point is they will mind as well say all these other people are frauds too because they also ask for money on their forums.

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 02:46:48 AM »
Theres nothing wrong with giving people the choice to donate if they want to.

If I ever implement one it will go towards domain registration, advertising and hosting costs. I don't think the word "fraud" should even be involved, personally, unless they are using the money for stuff thats nothing to do with their site, if thats what they are asking money for.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 02:59:07 AM »
How is the money asked for? By just having the donate button? Some generic email sent out to all the members on a semi regular basis?

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 03:02:17 AM »
Some people say Alex is a fraud because he asks for money. There's been the talk about it here and someone once asked about it on WP and even a 15 year old from Aspergic said something about it and my friend Feral Aspie has bitched about him asking for money. So my point is they will mind as well say all these other people are frauds too because they also ask for money on their forums.

It's not the pleads for donation that constitutes fraud. It's any deliberate misuse of donations for personal gain that makes it fraud.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 03:08:04 AM »

It's not the pleads for donation that constitutes fraud. It's any deliberate misuse of donations for personal gain that makes it fraud.

Where is the evidence for this?

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 03:10:27 AM »

I wouldn't have a clue. I'm just pointing out that asking for money technically isn't fraud, if the usage of the money is clearly stated and funded for that purpose.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 03:15:14 AM »

I wouldn't have a clue. I'm just pointing out that asking for money technically isn't fraud, if the usage of the money is clearly stated and funded for that purpose.

Couldn't one just set up a not for profit business name and put the ownership of said forum under it. Then any donations are entered into a bank account registered to the business name. I doubt that the donations alone would cover the costs, then the person running it would have to donate the rest of the shortfall and couldn't that also be tax deductible?

I have no idea on all that but it's just a guess.

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 03:24:31 AM »
Unfortunately, taxation and finances aren't my forte, so your guess is as good as mine on that.

But in some cases, a not-for-profit organisation could set itself up as a front for fraud. Basically you inflate your required expenditure to maintain your business (administrative costs, maintenance, resources, transportation costs, etc) and free-load of the discrepancy donations give you, instead of allocating them aside for future use. That's one way a website owner too, could conduct fraud I think, but like I said, I'm hardly an expert on the subject.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:26:30 AM by ProfessorFarnsworth »

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 04:45:13 AM »
Then so are these other people who own these sites:

Aspergic
Daily Diapers
ADISC
ASD Relationships
Psych Forums

They all have the donation button except ASD Relationships because I don't see it anymore.

Any other sites or forums you know that ask for money?

Aspergic doesn't cost so much per month but of course, you seriously don't have to pay for it and they don't ask for it.

WP price:
$15 for bronze and that's expensive and I made that mistake and nearly fucked up my life. So I'm warning people who wants to stupidly donate like what I did, DON'T! That money will be useful for something WAY better. (unless you really are filthy rich).
$100 for gold if you really are that bizarre. :LOL:
Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks:

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 04:57:22 AM »
One hundred fucking dollars for some bullshit gold title!!?!?!?!!?! WTF, seriously?  :o

If someone can throw away money like that, give it to a proper charity FFS!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 05:01:53 AM »
Just to let you all know I am always taking beer donations just thought I'd throw that out there :zoinks:

Well at least I'm honest about it :laugh:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

• Newtype of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 05:04:04 AM »
Baby needs a new graphics card case screen Hard Drive!