Author Topic: Do you live in a dysfunctional family?  (Read 882 times)

God

Do you live in a dysfunctional family?
« on: September 17, 2006, 12:43:10 PM »
I do. It's rumoured that Harold Pinter is writing a play about us.

richard

Re: Do you live in a dysfunctional family?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 12:58:50 PM »
yes i came from a disfunctional family, i think mostly everyone has though

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 01:35:33 PM »
I'd call my family functional.  My grandparents are gonna die sooner rather than later, removing their lack of function from the picture.  And my father has this neurotic feeling of obligation to make sure that I grow up and get a job I like and survive despite his incredible amount of despair and feelings of hopelessness.  So I'd say, assuming that the function of a family is to produce offspring that can live successfully in this world, that my family is technically functional.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

ozymandias

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 02:44:47 PM »
I did, I had to cut off all relations with my biological family years ago.  It always surprises me that I am in a good situation now!  A lot of luck and the persistent drive/knowledge that there had to be something better out there for me than what I was raised in!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 02:51:37 PM »
Define dysfunctional.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 05:10:16 PM »
Ok, How's this .......my female progenitor (aka biological mother) screams at me my whole fucking life, your dumb, what's wrong with you?, my male progenitor  ( aka biological father) spends his time at the local veterans hall drinking beer with his war buddies and doesn't come home till night.  My female sibling (aka sister) blmaes me for all the family problems. Then my female progenitor calls me incessantly saying I am going to burn in hell, screams at my daughter, calls my wife a bitch.

Does that answer your question Odeon.  If it doesn't I;ll be more than happy to give more examples!

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 12:32:23 AM »
so why don't you cut all ties/contact with them?  i only speak to my mother (my dad is dead) a few times a year, cos she stresses me out.  i saw her (and my older sister) just over a week ago, and it was the first time since christmas.  it was lovely to see them, and i probably won't see them again until christmas this year.

you're an adult, ozy - can you not choose to define the relationship yourself?  don't answer the phone to her, for a start.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 12:42:38 AM »
I guess I am lucky to have a family that is mostly supportive of what I do so the are functional in My eyes.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 12:56:04 AM »
Does that answer your question Odeon.  If it doesn't I;ll be more than happy to give more examples!

It does, Ozy. I agree with Lucifer; you need to cut the ties. Although I know that's easier said than done...

It's a good thing to have your parents living far away. My mum lives in Finland (dad's dead), and we see each other twice a year, tops, and talk on the phone a couple of times each month. It's a great way to avoid bringing up the past.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 04:56:22 AM »

It does, Ozy. ; you need to cut the ties. Although I know that's easier said than done...

It's a good thing to have your parents living far away. My mum lives in Finland (dad's dead), and we see each other twice a year, tops, and talk on the phone a couple of times each month. It's a great way to avoid bringing up the past.

Actually I posted this in another thread here someplace.  But, I did cut all ties to her and my sister over 11 years ago.  My father died years ago.  We have caller ID, so I know when she calls and can block it out.  So, been there, thought that, done it, but, thanks for the advice!  When I cut somebody off, I really cut them off and only rarely do I give second chances. 

Offline aliens

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 10:29:42 AM »
yes

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 06:17:35 PM »
My family is fully functional.  My mom lives in Maine, my dad, Rhode Island, and I live in Massachusetts.  We all get along wonderfully.  We just need state lines between us.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

ozymandias

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 06:22:03 PM »
My female progenitor lives 165 miles away in New Hampshire. ;D

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 06:25:10 AM »
I did, I had to cut off all relations with my biological family years ago.  It always surprises me that I am in a good situation now!  A lot of luck and the persistent drive/knowledge that there had to be something better out there for me than what I was raised in!

sums up my life story!

thank god for caller i.d.
Misunderstood.

ozymandias

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 05:12:08 PM »
so why don't you cut all ties/contact with them?  i only speak to my mother (my dad is dead) a few times a year, cos she stresses me out.  i saw her (and my older sister) just over a week ago, and it was the first time since christmas.  it was lovely to see them, and i probably won't see them again until christmas this year.

you're an adult, ozy - can you not choose to define the relationship yourself?  don't answer the phone to her, for a start.

I know you think I'm stupid compared to your scintillating intellect!  But did it ever occur to you that I am not stupid!  Read what I have written in the past, oh I'm sorry, thats right,  "You "don't care".   Yeah, yeah, yeah, you fooled me once, so maybe I am stupid.  But your attitude has been sticking in my craw long enough.  But, hey you don't care and now neither do I!  I am ignoring you from this moment on, please extend to me the same courtesy.  I'm glad you found a substitute for FOAD/hiro aka asshole!

TA, thats good bye and good riddance from me!