Educational

Author Topic: Obamacare Bill passes  (Read 1150 times)

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
Obamacare Bill passes
« on: March 21, 2010, 10:46:31 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8579322.stm

It passed 219 over 212. Just thought I'd let everyone know, if you weren't blasted by the media about it yet.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Scrapheap

Re: Obamacare Bill passes
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 11:17:15 PM »
Watched it live as it happened. I think I'll move to Suriname.  ::)

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 07:28:48 AM »
It has some good and shitty things in it, so I'm still on the fence about this deal.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 08:12:12 AM »
I agree.

At least after some period of time, health insurance companies won't be able to refuse to cover pre-existing conditions, but I don't think any limit was set on what they are allowed to charge and no public option was included to give them an incentive to keep the prices at least somewhat affordable.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 08:22:39 AM »
It's good and bad like anything they pass. Now that it's there they will start tacking on other things could be very good or it could turn out a disaster we will have to wait and see
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 08:38:40 AM »
Keep your government hands off my NHS!
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Scrapheap

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
It's good and bad like anything they pass. Now that it's there they will start tacking on other things could be very good or it could turn out a disaster we will have to wait and see

I'm begining to think there's far more bad in it. Hopefully the maditory provisions in it will be thrown out in court.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »

I'm begining to think there's far more bad in it. Hopefully the maditory provisions in it will be thrown out in court.
What are the dodgy ones???

Scrapheap

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »

The provision that says you MUST buy health insurance and you'll be fined if you don't.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 11:16:15 AM »

I think the mandatory part is stupid unless it is offered by the government.  Without them offering a government insurance companies can charge what ever they want it doesn't matter if they give you subsidies if you can't afford it in the first place .  Also what can they do to you if you don't get it anyway put you in jail then they pay for it anyway,  fine you well you already don't have the money so where will it come from
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 12:43:40 PM »

The provision that says you MUST buy health insurance and you'll be fined if you don't.
In Europe it comes straight out of your taxes for the whole health service. I gather that in the US you only get emergency care free - so if you wait until you get to a critical level before going to hospital, that costs the taxpayer a lot more. Seems sensible that they set up fines to mittigate that cost.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 01:14:36 PM »

Because...? The US is pretty much the last Western country without a health care insurance available to every citizen. I must say that I (along with many other Europeans, it seems) have a very hard time understanding why so many people seem to be against Obama's health care bill. What is so bad about it? What is so bad about not being completely in the hands of Eli Lily & Co?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 02:50:11 PM »

Because...? The US is pretty much the last Western country without a health care insurance available to every citizen. I must say that I (along with many other Europeans, it seems) have a very hard time understanding why so many people seem to be against Obama's health care bill. What is so bad about it? What is so bad about not being completely in the hands of Eli Lily & Co?

For me, it's because there is no public option, which would be the government offering an option to buy health insurance from them.  Instead, we will be forced to buy health insurance from one of the health insurance companies, who have had no limits placed on what they can charge for their policies, or we will have to pay a fine of 2.5% of our annual income or up to $695, whichever is larger.  Also, they will not have to cover adults with pre-existing conditions for another four years and they will not have to cover children with pre-existing conditions for six months, although the fines for not buying health insurance start right away.  Because of this bill, health insurance companies' stocks have risen significantly, even though they have fought the new regulations that will be placed on them tooth and nail because they don't want to be forced to cover people with pre-existing conditions.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 03:47:45 PM »
I actually got a call from an insurance company today, they were offering me a job.   They claimed to have read my resume on either Monster or Careerbuilder (forgot which).  I don't see myself selling insurance, but now that it is compulsory this all gets fucked up.   I am not going to take any such job, as I hate sales (done it in the past and did fine though).   The whole part where people get fined for not having insurance is totally fucked up.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 04:28:15 PM »

For me, it's because there is no public option, which would be the government offering an option to buy health insurance from them.  Instead, we will be forced to buy health insurance from one of the health insurance companies, who have had no limits placed on what they can charge for their policies, or we will have to pay a fine of 2.5% of our annual income or up to $695, whichever is larger.  Also, they will not have to cover adults with pre-existing conditions for another four years and they will not have to cover children with pre-existing conditions for six months, although the fines for not buying health insurance start right away.  Because of this bill, health insurance companies' stocks have risen significantly, even though they have fought the new regulations that will be placed on them tooth and nail because they don't want to be forced to cover people with pre-existing conditions.

So you'll be forced into their hands? That fine, if you don't buy from a health care company, will it just be a punishment or will it actually cover something?

This is fucked up.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein