Author Topic: About time  (Read 268 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
About time
« on: February 25, 2010, 04:08:32 PM »

Feds probe school's shock treatments   

United Press International  February 25, 2010

Federal officials said they are looking into whether a Massachusetts special needs school violates the law by using electrical shocks to discipline students.

The Judge Rotenberg Educational Center in Canton will be subjected to its first federal investigation following complaints from more than 30 disability rights organizations nationwide, the Boston Globe reported Thursday.

The groups said in a September 2009 letter the center's use of "painful and dehumanizing behavioral techniques violates all principles of human rights.'' They want to end the facility's shock therapy use, which state investigations so far have been unable to do.

The school's approximately 200 students have emotional issues, autism or developmental disabilities. Some are at risk of hurting themselves or have criminal records. They wear electrodes attached to their skin, and staff members can administer a two-second electrical shock through a remote hand-held device, the Globe reported.

Any child who gets skin-shocks does so only under a court-approved plan, said Michael Flammia, a lawyer for the Rotenberg Center.

The U.S. Justice Department's Disability Rights Section will look into whether the Rotenberg Center is in violation of laws on the fair treatment of disabled people, said Renee Wohlenhaus, the department's deputy chief.

Polyxane Cobb, a member of the Coalition for the Legal Rights of People with Disabilities in Boston, said she expects the inquiry to be meaningful and is hopeful the Justice Department will stop the shock discipline.

A service of YellowBrix, Inc.

2010 and this still goes on glad the Feds are looking into it
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: About time
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 04:11:53 PM »
Maybe they'll finally do something about it. Put those in charge in jail, for example.  :grrr:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 04:14:07 PM »
Maybe they'll finally do something about it. Put those in charge in jail, for example.  :grrr:

If it was anyone else shocking kids they would
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 04:15:27 PM »
about time indeed.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

TheoK

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 04:27:30 PM »
What the hell? They don't even give shock therapy to mental patients here, except ECT - under anaestesia that is.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 05:36:07 AM »
judge roten berg: sounds jewish to me.

oh the irony of jewish people using shock therapy.  i remember i e-mailed the weisenthal museum of tolerance about this and they never even got back tome.

the jewish defense league probably stepped in.
Misunderstood.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 08:59:02 AM »
I think incarceration a little less severe than they deserve. I think they should strip them naked and attache electrodes to their nuts and give them a shock for each Autistic they have done the same to. Then they should put them in general population  >:D
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 11:26:33 AM »
 :agreed:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 06:52:09 PM »
Heard this on the news this morning, like it was new information.  Had me starting off my day by yelling at the TV.  Whatever your thoughts on aversives, there's no way to make what theh do OK.  They're a giant fucking toture camp.

judge roten berg: sounds jewish to me.

oh the irony of jewish people using shock therapy.  i remember i e-mailed the weisenthal museum of tolerance about this and they never even got back tome.

the jewish defense league probably stepped in.

It's named after the judge who kept it going in the 80s, one of the many times it was under scrutinty, I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Rotenberg_Educational_Center

The security they have on staff there is creepy too; I think they have nondisclosure agreements and stuff like that.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.