Educational

Author Topic: New TV. not by choice!  (Read 825 times)

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: New TV. not by choice!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 08:20:04 AM »
my son, apparently, did not want to watch Charlie Brown today.  so he took his sippy cup and threw it at the TV and shattered it.

we had just bought the TV for christmas and the cost to replace it was $600, which i did so reluctantly.

Oh boy. How old is he? He must be pretty young, two?

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 08:26:24 AM »
That sucks!

My 2yo daughter decided to draw on with black permanent marker, my white wireless keyboard and wireless mouse, a mobile/cell phone, my PS3 controller, a roll of white tape, my white coffee mug, one of the new lounge chairs.

:grrr:

When I was three years old, I had decided to take a magic marker and draw a line across the dining room wall. But this was a very huge issue, we didn't own our house anymore because we had sold it and the new owner was letting us live in it until our new house was through being build but she decided to kick us out and move in NOW. So we lived with my dad's friend for ten weeks and had everything in storage. My mom was shocked I did that because I had never done it before so I suppose I have never colored on the walls like most toddlers do. That's why you gotta watch them when they have crayons or pens or markers, etc. But sometimes they will still get into that stuff when you aren't looking and by the time you come back to the room, oh no there is scribbles on the wall. Your kid had no pen when you left the room for a phone call and now he got one while you were away because you had left it lying on the coffee table after you had done your taxes.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 08:33:05 AM »
insurance?

we are planning on buying the same model in a month, then puting the broken one back in the box and telling them it must have broken during shipping.

My wife could pull that one off she just exudes that trust me vibe where I get followed around stores by security
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 08:38:32 AM »
my son, apparently, did not want to watch Charlie Brown today.  so he took his sippy cup and threw it at the TV and shattered it.

we had just bought the TV for christmas and the cost to replace it was $600, which i did so reluctantly.

Is this the toddler version of 'Spitting the Dummy'? (Wonder where he gets that from :laugh:)

No insurance?

You know of course, the real revenge is knowing that you can use this story at really inappropriate times in his life!

My daughter, when she was 8 (and old enough to know better), was left in the car to wait by my ex husband (totally unacceptable, but he never did it again after this). She was hungry and frustrated with waiting and decided to vent her frustrations on the cream vinyl upholstery in his van.

She carved, with her school compass, the words "I STARVING!!" in 3 inch letters diagonally across the upholstery. He kept the car, even as she ventured into high school, which was kind of funny when friends got a lift.

(Don't know why she didn't say "I'm" as she was classed as a gifted child...which makes the story all the more funny.)

To this day, we still say "I starving!!!!" when we are famished. So it's kind of nice that that day is etched in everyones memories.

Maybe your family saying will come to be, "don't throw your sippy cup, get over it"!!

When I was seven years old, I was in the car with my dad and my brothers. I mess with the cigerette lighter and I had decided to stab it on the floor so I did that and there was smoke and it smelled and I picked it up and saw it has left a hole. My dad turned around and saw it and cursed and started hitting me, hard. My dad has a bad temper sometimes and has tossed things and slammed things and he curses when he gets mad or frustrated. He has also thrown me on my bed a few times as a toddler after lifing me up from under my arm pits. He's not a violent man. He just gets angry sometimes and seems to have gotten better over the years. I haven't seen him thrown anything or slam anything in years or start slapping me when he lose his temper. He still curses of course.

BTW that's how I used to talk according to my mother. I'd say things like "I hungry."

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 09:32:22 AM »
That sucks!

My 2yo daughter decided to draw on with black permanent marker, my white wireless keyboard and wireless mouse, a mobile/cell phone, my PS3 controller, a roll of white tape, my white coffee mug, one of the new lounge chairs.

When I was three years old, I had decided to take a magic marker and draw a line across the dining room wall. But this was a very huge issue, we didn't own our house anymore because we had sold it and the new owner was letting us live in it until our new house was through being build but she decided to kick us out and move in NOW. So we lived with my dad's friend for ten weeks and had everything in storage. My mom was shocked I did that because I had never done it before so I suppose I have never colored on the walls like most toddlers do. That's why you gotta watch them when they have crayons or pens or markers, etc. But sometimes they will still get into that stuff when you aren't looking and by the time you come back to the room, oh no there is scribbles on the wall. Your kid had no pen when you left the room for a phone call and now he got one while you were away because you had left it lying on the coffee table after you had done your taxes.

The trouble is, is that she has 3 older brothers who tend to leave things around, especially in their room. She's drawn all over their walls because they just don't pay attention for some reason. Plus she's drawn on their LCD monitors with pen. That's fun to get off, but doable.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 09:48:13 AM »
Well that's a lesson for them to learn. My mom used to keep my stuff put away on high shelves such as my books so my brother couldn't get to it. He once scribbled in my The Little Mermiad book and my mom caught him before it got too bad. He also used to put my Barbie things in his mouth and chew on it. It was a roller skate. He never really went in my room because he wasn't allowed and my mom did good watching him. She was a stay at home mom but she couldn't always be there. So he would end up touching my stuff and messing it up. Oh boy I would get mad at him and hold that grudge till I got back at him.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 09:51:22 AM »
Well that's a lesson for them to learn. My mom used to keep my stuff put away on high shelves such as my books so my brother couldn't get to it. He once scribbled in my The Little Mermiad book and my mom caught him before it got too bad. He also used to put my Barbie things in his mouth and chew on it. It was a roller skate. He never really went in my room because he wasn't allowed and my mom did good watching him. She was a stay at home mom but she couldn't always be there. So he would end up touching my stuff and messing it up. Oh boy I would get mad at him and hold that grudge till I got back at him.

See, you'd think they'd learn, but noooooo........

:duh:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 10:28:29 AM »
That sucks!

...I don't see the problem with the PS3 controller - it's black anyway.

It was on the analogue stick, and it wiped off okay. It also wiped off the coffee mug with a bit of effort. Keyboard and mouse it isn't budging, lounge chair I'm leaving for the wife to investigate (she used to do doll restoration, so she knows where to get the information from).

If it helps, it was a standard black sharpie.

I have gotten black sharpie off smooth plastic surfaces with rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball and a lot of patience, but nail polish remover could possibly affect the plastic so you would need to be very cautious with it.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 10:29:56 AM »
Thanks, I'll give it a try, on a non visible surface first of course.

• Newtype of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 10:53:14 AM »
That sucks!

It was on the analogue stick, and it wiped off okay. It also wiped off the coffee mug with a bit of effort. Keyboard and mouse it isn't budging, lounge chair I'm leaving for the wife to investigate (she used to do doll restoration, so she knows where to get the information from).

I have gotten black sharpie off smooth plastic surfaces with rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball and a lot of patience, but nail polish remover could possibly affect the plastic so you would need to be very cautious with it.

Depending on the plastic and texture of the KB&M, you may be completely SoL - if it's glossy, you might be ok, if it's that old style matt, slightly bumpy texture.... it's not coming out.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 10:56:05 AM »
That sucks!

Depending on the plastic and texture of the KB&M, you may be completely SoL - if it's glossy, you might be ok, if it's that old style matt, slightly bumpy texture.... it's not coming out.

The keys themselves are that textured shit, laptop style keys. Ah fuck it. might just get a new keyboard like this one: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=h3EiWsOCtjRXOUqm&templete=2

Lucky my PS3 controller wasn't like this one: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-49-en-70-2x6w.html
Wanting to get that for 2 player games.

• Newtype of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 10:58:37 AM »
Heh, yeah, it's a good thing it wasn't a white controller  :laugh:

Luckily, my little brother hasn't been near my PS3 yet (well, those few times I've taken it to that house, at any rate).

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 12:41:23 PM »
insurance?

we are planning on buying the same model in a month, then puting the broken one back in the box and telling them it must have broken during shipping.

A plan, I suppose. I have home and contents insurance, so if something breaks, even by accident, it is replaced.
i am not sure if we can get this type of insurance.
it is difficult to get insurance for things that you really need like: flood insurance in new orleans or earthquake insurance in california.

besides, i am not sure if it is worth it because the deductable would be what the TV costs.

Misunderstood.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 12:52:39 PM »

See, you'd think they'd learn, but noooooo........

:duh:

On my brother learned eventually. He and my other brother used to mess with my playhouse and my doll house and I'd get very upset and couldn't calm down until it was fixed. My mother couldn't watch them all the time so they mess up my stuff and I'd get very upset and cry over it. I would refuse to do anything else until it was fixed. I didn't feel right if my things were messed up. But then when I was seven or eight, they finally learned. My brother kept my other brother away from my stuff and his friends too.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 04:43:35 PM »
insurance?

A plan, I suppose. I have home and contents insurance, so if something breaks, even by accident, it is replaced.
i am not sure if we can get this type of insurance.
it is difficult to get insurance for things that you really need like: flood insurance in new orleans or earthquake insurance in california.

besides, i am not sure if it is worth it because the deductable would be what the TV costs.

No, in my case I don't pay an excess....I assume that's what you mean by deductible.

There is an agreed value to the item.