Author Topic: On Star  (Read 1561 times)

Scrapheap

Re: On Star
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 01:28:34 PM »
they made us get these TWIC (transportation workers identification cards) to work on the docks.  some say that they have a chip in there where they can keep track of you and find you at all times if you have it with you.  it is required for entry to the ports.  therefor i have it with me most of the time.
Put it in a Faraday cage (so basically a metal wallet), fixes that problem. You sound like quite the union official on all this...

McJ hasn't been here for a few days.

Offline normal_impaired

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 11:46:05 AM »
The state of Massachusetts was (Governor Deval Patrick specifically) was talking for a while about a plan to embed GPS recievers into the safety inspection stickers so they could replace the gas tax with one based on how many miles you drive on state-owned roads.  The recievers would track and store the information about every road you drove your car on, how far you went, how long you were stopped for, etc. and would dump that data into a computer via an RFID reader mounted in various street lights around the state, all you have to do is drive under one of these lights and suddenly the state knows everywhere your car has been for a week or so.

With OnStar, they don't start tracking your location until they have a reason, like that you pushed the button, or your airbags deployed, or they receive a request from a law enforcement agency, but with this system they would be constantly tracking your car and saving all of the data for "tax records" (amongst most likely other things since the wording in the bill was very vague in regards to who can access this data).  Luckilly the bill was shot down, but it did get a disturbing number of votes.
Autism Speaks would like to remind you that you don't exist, because there are no Autistic adults and autistic children are too braindead to be able to use a computer.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 11:50:38 AM »
Everybody seems to think privacy isn't important with these things and vote for them.  By the time they become concerned it's too late.  It would be abused and the gov. is dieing to have it
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 05:53:38 PM »
If I am not mistaken if you have the newer versions of Onstar, law enforcement can bring your vehicle to a stop and there is naught that you can do about it. Of course this technology would come in handy if your vehicle is stolen

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 06:52:33 PM »
If I am not mistaken if you have the newer versions of Onstar, law enforcement can bring your vehicle to a stop and there is naught that you can do about it. Of course this technology would come in handy if your vehicle is stolen

That is true now imagine a hacker doing to you when your going 70mph on the highway

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 06:56:02 PM »

That is true now imagine a hacker doing to you when your going 70mph on the highway

Think about this on a large scale

The US intelligence chief warns of serious cyber-security threats that could cripple the country's economy.

US Director of National Intelligence Dennis Blair issued the warning on Tuesday while addressing the Senate Intelligence Committee. He said the recent reports of cyber-attacks on the giant American Internet search corporation Google should serve as a wake-up call.

"Malicious cyber activity is occurring on an unprecedented scale with extraordinary sophistication," Blair stated in a prepared testimony.
http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=117729&sectionid=3510203

George Bernard Shaw

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 06:58:15 PM »

oh shit.  that is scary.  i bet the car wouldn't stop abruptly though, i bet it would come to a slow stop.
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 07:04:54 PM »

oh shit.  that is scary.  i bet the car wouldn't stop abruptly though, i bet it would come to a slow stop.

You drive for a living correct?  Ever lose power on the highway and remember most of the new vehicles don't direct mechanical connections

George Bernard Shaw

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 07:07:16 PM »

You drive for a living correct?  Ever lose power on the highway and remember most of the new vehicles don't direct mechanical connections
i have lost power on a machine at work, yes.  seemed like the tranny gave out.  it came to a slow stop.
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 07:11:52 PM »
Think no power brakes or steering in traffic doing 70
I think I could handle it but I don't think everyone could.  I had a tranny go once when driving nice glide to a stop but the engine was still on

George Bernard Shaw

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 07:13:18 PM »
Think no power brakes or steering in traffic doing 70
I think I could handle it but I don't think everyone could.  I had a tranny go once when driving nice glide to a stop but the engine was still on
i bet it would have to do with the fuel injectors not working anymore.  i can't imagine that they would shut the car off completely.
Misunderstood.

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 07:15:56 PM »
The idea is to bring the vehicle to a slow safe stop. You still have power but no acceleration.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 07:19:50 PM »
I don't like the idea of anyone being able to do that to my vehicle stolen or not remotely

George Bernard Shaw

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 07:22:01 PM »
I don't like the idea of anyone being able to do that to my vehicle stolen or not remotely
total agreement, with that. next thing you know they will be putting Onstar in your sneakers :laugh:

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 07:32:14 PM »
total agreement, with that. next thing you know they will be putting Onstar in your sneakers :laugh:
or a chip in your shoulders.   :laugh:
Misunderstood.