Author Topic: Damn, I wish I'd been at *this* xmas eve mass...  (Read 734 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Damn, I wish I'd been at *this* xmas eve mass...
« on: December 24, 2009, 05:06:52 PM »
From http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8430118.stm:

Pope is celebrating the traditional Christmas Mass, despite being knocked down by a woman at the start of the service in St Peter's Basilica.

The woman - who is said to be mentally unstable - jumped the security barriers as Benedict XVI entered the basilica, causing the pontiff to fall.

The Pope appeared to be unhurt and recovered to lead the mass.

The midnight service started two hours early because officials do not want the 82-year-old pontiff to get tired.

Thousands of pilgrims have also gathered in Bethlehem to celebrate Christmas mass.

Woman arrested

The security incident involving the woman at St Peter's Basilica lasted only a few seconds.

The Pope had to be helped up by the master of ceremonies at his side, the BBC's David Willey in Rome says.

However, he quickly recovered his poise and passed into the basilica preceded by senior Vatican cardinals, our correspondent says.

Benedict then delivered the Christmas homily in a firm voice.

The woman who pushed the Pope also knocked down Cardinal Roger Etchegaray, who was taken to hospital for a check-up, Vatican spokesman Ciro Bedettini said.

The woman - whose name was not immediately known - was later arrested by police.

The Vatican said earlier that the decision to move the midnight Mass to 2200 (2100 GMT) was "to make Christmas a little less tiring for the Pope, who has many engagements".

Pope Benedict XVI earlier appeared briefly at nightfall at the window of his studio to light a candle in a sign of peace.

Tourism boom

In Bethlehem, festivities began with a traditional boy scout band and were due to end with a midnight mass in St Catherine's Church, next to the Church of the Nativity.

The top Roman Catholic cleric in the Holy Land led the annual procession from Jerusalem to Bethlehem.

Latin Patriarch Foud Twal said the region sought peace above all else.

Patriarch arrives in Bethlehem
"The wish that we most want, we most hope for, is not coming. We want peace," he said after he and his convoy of cars entered the Palestinian territory, having passed through Israel's heavily-guarded separation barrier.

"We want freedom of movement, we don't want walls. We don't want separation fences," he added.

In Bethlehem, the midnight mass is taking place next to the church built over the stall where Mary is said to have given birth to Jesus.

Some 300 Christians over the age of 35 from the Gaza Strip were given permission by the Israeli military to leave the territory and come to Bethlehem for 24 hours to celebrate Christmas.

A total of 15,000 tourists are expected in the town during this period, in a year that has seen a record number of visitors - some 1.6 million.

One of the tourists who had crossed the planet to spend Christmas in Bethlehem was 27-year-old Juan Cruz, of Mexico.

"This is the place where God gave us his son, so it is very special for me to be here, for me and my whole community," he told AFP news agency.

Yet the tourism boom has failed to bring money with it as most of the tourists visit the town just for the day, staying in hotels in Israel.

"Only 5% of the money stays on the Palestinian side," Palestinian Tourism Minister Khulud Duaibess said.
Doesn't sound mentally unstable to me.   :zoinks:
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Damn, I wish I'd been at *this* xmas eve mass...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 05:12:46 PM »
oh god I am reposting this on facebook  :2thumbsup:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 06:10:09 PM »
bump

no one else finds this fucking hilarious?

proper cheered me up that. here's a video of him actually getting knocked over, lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8430118.stm

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 06:15:20 PM »
I just became a fan of her on facebook  :zoinks:

it's the same woman that tried it last year as well
 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8430495.stm

richard

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 08:21:25 PM »
they just need to bomb the entire middle east. im sick of this shit

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 11:09:28 PM »
bump

proper cheered me up that. here's a video of him actually getting knocked over, lol

No, I don't find the assault hilarious at all.  From the link you provided, I read this:

French Cardinal Roger Etchegaray, 87, was standing a few metres away and fell and broke his hip during the incident.

What's so funny about someone getting hurt?

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 12:08:03 AM »
bump

I lol'd. Touchdown!  :lol:
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 05:50:19 AM »
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 05:52:14 AM by Heinrich »

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 06:02:17 AM »
bump

No, I don't find the assault hilarious at all.  From the link you provided, I read this:

French Cardinal Roger Etchegaray, 87, was standing a few metres away and fell and broke his hip during the incident.

What's so funny about someone getting hurt?

Too bloody right it isn't funny. If some jackass had come lunging through the crowd, and caused an elderly relative of mine to fall and be injured, I'd be fair pissed off. The chances are low that a frail 87-year-old (or even a robust one for that matter) will make a complete recovery from this.

On a scale of wrongdoing, it doesn't rank right up there with genocide and what-have-you, but it is wrong just the same. Leave the crash-tackling to Randy Orton and Rey Mysterio and John Cena and so on. They get paid for it.

Offline The Member Formerly Known As Sophist

• Too Eliter for the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I am what I am and that's all what I am.
    • Gestalt: An Autism Forum
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 07:44:18 AM »
A broken hip and it's all downhill from there. Could make a huge difference in all of his commitments and could also shorten his lifespan. A broken hip for an old person is like a foot in the door to Death.
Flibbit.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 08:30:24 AM »
bump

Nice Soph.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 10:24:28 AM »
I think it's unfortunate that the cardinal got injured.  If it had been the pope who got injured, though, hell yes I'd be OK with that.  I fucking hate benedict.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 02:01:41 PM »
I think it's unfortunate that the cardinal got injured.  If it had been the pope who got injured, though, hell yes I'd be OK with that.  I fucking hate benedict.

Why do you hate Benedict?  Is it just the fact that he's the pope or is it something about him personally?

Did you hate John Paul II too?

I'm not Catholic so I don't know that much about Benedict, but I thought John Paul II seemed like a pretty good guy from everything I read about him.

Like he sought common ground between different religions, he learned Spanish after he became pope even though he already spoke seven languages so he could speak and understand it when he visited Mexico and South America. and he went to prison to visit the man who tried to kill him and he forgave him, for example.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 02:24:29 PM »
I think it's unfortunate that the cardinal got injured.  If it had been the pope who got injured, though, hell yes I'd be OK with that.  I fucking hate benedict.

Why do you hate Benedict?  Is it just the fact that he's the pope or is it something about him personally?

Did you hate John Paul II too?

I'm not Catholic so I don't know that much about Benedict, but I thought John Paul II seemed like a pretty good guy from everything I read about him.

Like he sought common ground between different religions, he learned Spanish after he became pope even though he already spoke seven languages so he could speak and understand it when he visited Mexico and South America. and he went to prison to visit the man who tried to kill him and he forgave him, for example.
Benedict specifically.  John Paul II was a fucking awesome pope, as far as popes go- almost a progressive pope.  Benedict is dragging the catholic church back into the fucking dark ages and I sincerely want him to die ASAP so he can be replaced.  I think that the fact that Benedict used to be a member of the hitler youth ought to have been a tipoff that he wasn't the best choice to act as the catholic god's spokesman.

I'm not Catholic (I'm pretty much an atheist), but I'm a 'recovering catholic,' and beyond that, a realist- the Pope is an important political figure, and his decisions affect a worldwide organization (i.e. the catholic church).  Disliking organized religion won't make it go away, and catholicism is far-reaching, and here for a damn long time.  I want the pope to be as non-douchey as possible.

I truly believe that if we'd have had more popes like John Paul II, the catholic church would have made changes for the better within itself and its own rules/structure.  Further, given how widespread catholicism is, I think that would have made the world a better place.  (Or, at least, a less-bad place, if that's a more palateable way to look at it.)  Unfortunately, that didn't happen.  Instead, we got fucking Benedict.

I think Benedict is to the catholic church what George W. Bush was to the U.S. when he was in office.  My reaction to Benedict getting tackled is the same reaction I had to hearing about Dubya getting a shoe chucked at his head, which was 1. glee at having him get a tiny bit of come-uppance despite his rank and power and 2. wishing he'd wounded more than his pride.

/religious/political rant

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 02:34:14 PM »
Last one wasn't as bad as Ratzinger, but the Catholic Church is still revolting

I don't think old people getting assaulted is funny in general, but I'm not gonna let the fact that some other guy got bashed in the process ruin such a beautiful moment

Maybe she will do better next year eh - third time lucky? :zoinks: