Author Topic: gripe of the day  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: gripe of the day
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2006, 04:25:00 PM »
I think with flo, the idea was more to ignore him, tell him that we were ignoring him, let him know why and what could be done to resolve it, and hope he OD'd on ginseng in an attempt to cure himself of the last of his HFA.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2006, 04:25:19 PM »
And I think Nomaken should always be an exception.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2006, 04:32:45 PM »
Nomaken is definitely exceptional.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2006, 04:57:00 PM »
I love Nomaken!

Teejay

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2006, 06:27:22 PM »
There has been a lot of mourning for the death of Steve Irwin who is in my opinion a bloody idiot, if he was anything like Sir David Attenborough he would not be putting his finger up crocodile's arses and being stabbed in the heart by stingray, in an attempt I assume to put his finger up it's arse  ::)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2006, 06:34:34 PM »
ok, nomaken has way too much support, so i reject the notion of making him the exception.
hey, he's already popular enough, why does he need my approval also.

i think i will make an exception for teejay, since i have already given him too much crap in his lifetime.

my gripe of the day:

sherriffs, cops, and constables (for out british friends).
need i say more?
Misunderstood.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2006, 06:36:12 PM »
I dont +1 people that much anyway, it probably should be reserved to someone who +1's people a lot.  However can I still +1 people without fear of smiting if i am honest and admit I am sucking their dick right in the post?
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2006, 06:51:07 PM »
Why does most of the world insist on running 9-5 days??  I'm not tired and I'm enjoying posting, but I'm going to have to try sleep if I'm to get up on time to get the kids off to school tomorrow.  >:(

Triste

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2006, 07:04:00 PM »
Oh where to start.  I've been given the okay to use both hands, which speeds up typing dramatically.  So one good thing happened today.

I have a perpetual beef with one of my professors.  Right now I'm pissed because she's so disorganized she hasn't gotten around to grading the first two assignments I've handed in. jThe way is it's supposed to work, in my understanding, is that you hand in a paper, it gets graded, then you get assigned your next paper.  But noooo.   Another one is due soon, I fucking refuse to do any more work until I have some clue as to how she's graded the first two.  She's so bad that I considered filing a grievance, first week into the semester.  Other complaints about her:  she's given assignments not listed in the syllabus, she has a grading rubric that doesn't match the syllabus (so how do we know which is correct?) for example, in one place the midterm is 25% of the grade, and in another it's worth less than 10%.  WTF?  Also, I'm on a different island than she is, and for the first lecture, she lectured from a powerpoint presentation that I wasn't able to see at my remote video site.  She had the camera focused on the other students, not her or the screen with the powerpoint presentation.  When I complained, she said "Did you bring your laptop?  Because this should be in your university mailbox."  I couldn't believe it.  Who would bring their laptop to a lecture?  What if I used a desktop and not a laptop?  I got home, and found out that she had indeed sent the powerpoint slides - 25 minutes before class started.  It takes me half an hour to get to the uni, so how in hell would I have known to A - check my email before the very first lecture and B - have had time to download the file and still make it to the lecture in time?  Argh.  I've been bombarding her with questions, and half the time, after she answers my question she goes and fixes her mistake and lets all the other students know by email.  It's like it's her very first semester teaching, but I checked, and it's not.  I want her fired.  And the worst part is - she's my fucking ADVISOR.  I have to take one class a semester from her till I"m done.  Six semesters of her crappy instructing.

Ok, I think I'm done now.  I'm going to go check to see if she's given me a grade for an assignment I handed in over two weeks ago...

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2006, 09:23:53 PM »
sorry to hear that, triste :(

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2006, 08:30:04 AM »
Why do schools always think they know better than you about your kids??  We found this week that Adam's class are starting swimming lessons this year.  I think its a great idea kids learning to swim but Adam has a major phobia about going in the water.  I've taken him swimming a few times this summer and I am working on helping him with this phobia but I just know that going with a whole class of kids is just not going to work.  But the school says he has to do it- he was in a state when his teacher told him this, he fears going in the water that much.    His teacher has told us that he can't be exempt from swimming not matter what his special needs are.  I am fuming- if he freaks out in the water how can I know that they are going to be able to keep him safe with a whole class full of kids to watch? Then there's the fact that I know that every week on the day he has swimming he's just going to be a wreck so his education is going to suffer  >:(

Unless they can reassure me that they are going to have the resources to give him the support he needs there is no way I am backing down on this one!  I am completely sick of having to deal with the school, especially since they pretty much ignored his IEP last school year.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2006, 09:09:32 AM »
I would not back down on this issue either, Purposeful Insanity.  If you lived in the US, I would tell you to talk to a special education attorney about Adam's educational rights and possibly even begin a due process hearing about this, because I see it as a safety issue and no school has the right to endanger Adam's safety.  If he is this terrified of the water and they force him to go into it without one-on-one support, then I think he is unsafe and so are the other children.  If the teacher needs to keep him safe, how can she also keep all the other children in her care safe also?  This is so wrong to force a terrified child into the water.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2006, 09:59:02 AM »
Thanks Callaway- have just found out its worse than I thought- his class teacher (who's the school's new special needs co-ordinator) isn't the one taking them, its the head teacher.  He is completely clueless about kids with special needs and has no understanding at all of Adam- we've had problems with him in the past about this. Adam came home with a letter today trying to reassure us that he will be ok and telling us that he has to take his swimming stuff on Monday ready to go swimming.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »
tell them that you are willing to help supervise each day, and then tell them what your hourly rate is.
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2006, 10:11:54 AM »
Oh my God, that is just horrible.

I found some general information about advocacy from Wrightslaw hoping that it might help you with this issue:

http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/advo.do.dont.margolis.htm

Parent Advocacy: What You Should Do . . . and Not Do

by Leslie Seid Margolis, Esq.

What Parents Should Do

1. Prepare for Meetings

You should treat the IEP meeting as if it is the first step towards a due process hearing by preparing for the meeting and building a record. If you do this, you make it less likely that you will end up at a due process hearing. If you do end up at a hearing, you will be in a stronger position.

2. Prioritize Your Child's Needs

Everything you want for your child is not equally important. Make a list of what your child really needs, what you want for your child (but may be willing to compromise on), and what would be nice to have but that you would definitely be willing to give up.

Think about the evidence you have to support each requested item (i.e., reports, assessments, experts, other documents). If you prioritize your issues and have facts and evidence that support what you want, it is more likely that you will be taken seriously.

3. Build Good Relationships

Develop positive relationships with school personnel, to the greatest extent possible. Ask questions. Ask your child's team to explain things you do not understand.

Take the high road. As hard as this may be to do, being polite and courteous is always better than being rude and nasty. If a meeting is deteriorating with nasty comments or behavior from any team member, ask for a break or ask that the meeting be continued to a later date and time.

Good relationships with school personnel and central office staff to the extent possible, will generally ensure that issues you bring up will be taken seriously.

4. Document Issues & Concerns

Ask that items and issues you feel strongly about be documented in the meeting summary or notes. Review the summary before you leave the meeting. Know your rights about amending your child’s records.

5. Use Advocacy Strategies

Use advocacy strategies. Meetings do not have to be drawn out to the point of battle. For example, if the team cannot reach an agreement about the type or amount of service, suggest that the issue be tabled in order to obtain additional information from consultatation or conversation(s) between your child’s private therapist (if there is one) and the school therapist.

Rather than immediately asking for an independent assessment, disputes can sometimes be resolved by asking that an assessment be conducted by a school district evalutor who does not know your child.

What Parents Should Not Do

1. Complain Loudly & Often

Parents should not complain about every issue that comes up over the course of their child’s school life. This is the equivalent of crying wolf, and ensures that when a serious issue does arise, you will not be taken seriously. This is because you are expending the same amount of complaint energy on the serious issue as you expended on trivial issues.

2. Assume the Worst

Parents should not assume that the school district is out to get their child and deny services. While the reality is that the school district is a bureaucracy with its own interests to protect, most individuals in the district enter the field because they care about children.

While you need to enter the special education process with knowledge to protect your child’s rights, you should treat the professionals with whom you deal as if those professionals have your child’s best interests at heart.

3. Have a Closed Mind

You need to be have an open mind at at IEP meetings. If your child's team proposes a placement with which you disagree, do not dismiss it, or refuse to observe it, or refuse to consider it. This is especially true if you may challenge the appropriateness of the proposed placement.

Again, the IEP meeting is important for record-building purposes. If the case goes to a due process hearing, it is important that you present as a cooperative person who thoughtfully considered the team’s program, personally observed the program, and can explain why you believe the program does not meet your child’s needs.

4. Stint on Experts

Do not try to save money by stinting on experts. You need to find experts who can provide sound professional opinions and evidence. Experts are critical to successful cases, especially if parents are unrepresented.

If you truly cannot find experts, either through your children’s medical service providers or otherwise, you need to think about how to use supportive (or even hostile) school personnel to your advantage.