Educational

Author Topic: Things about 5.0L V-8's you didn't care about  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
Re: Things about 5.0L V-8's you didn't care about
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2016, 10:44:20 AM »
Are you sure it isn't just a licensed Ford engine??  :zoinks:

Jealousy isn't an attractive trait. :M

It's not jealousy, it's just that I can't recall a single engine that Jaguar the British made that didn't leak oil.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2016, 10:47:43 AM »
My car was made in Mexico AND Canada :P

... for the Australian market. American brand cars for the Au and NZ market have always been different than cars intended for the US market and it's not just the right hand drive.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2016, 12:54:17 PM »
I was gonna say, don't Ford have the 5.0L Coyote engine? We also have it in the Ford Falcon XR8 over here in Australia.

Maybe so. I was just thinking of production in North America (most "American" cars are made in Canada or Mexico these days).

Most of the "American" car makers have switched to smaller V-8's for the same role, usually ~4.5L or so, or slightly larger (5.3-5.5) when they need more torque.

The Chevy Traverse I bought for my son to use (he still has not gotten his license nor has he learned to drive more than around a parking lot - very iffy at that) has almost the same horse power and more toque that the 5L I had in my late seventies Granada. The modern Chevy is 3.6L 288HP and with its six speed auto, it is very drivable  and competitive in traffic.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2016, 12:11:06 AM »

It's not jealousy, it's just that I can't recall a single engine that Jaguar the British made that didn't leak oil.

Not sure about what you're trying to say in this thread. Stay off the goalposts, please.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2016, 01:16:55 PM »

Not sure about what you're trying to say in this thread. Stay off the goalposts, please.

It's obviously been a long time since I discussed my early years as a car mechanic straight out of UTI. I worked at one of the largest independent repair shops in town and within a year, had worked on almost every MG, Triumph, Austin-Healey, Morris Minor and whatever brand of British sports car was in town. I even worked on a few Jags. There's 2 things that British cars from the 50's to the 70's are known for: 1) breaking down and 2) leaking oil. Oh, and Lucas Electronics = Prince of Darkness.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2016, 06:31:32 AM »
The V8 engine of my car is made in Mexico (and from that you can probably guess which one it is).

We have a few Chevy models over here rebadged as Holdens. The Traverse looks a bit like our Captiva or Colorado 7. We have the 3.6L V6 in our Commodores (as well as a 6.2L V8). The factory in Australia is closing down next year though, so that Chevy SS you took from us, we'll have it back please :P

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2016, 02:46:17 AM »

It's obviously been a long time since I discussed my early years as a car mechanic straight out of UTI. I worked at one of the largest independent repair shops in town and within a year, had worked on almost every MG, Triumph, Austin-Healey, Morris Minor and whatever brand of British sports car was in town. I even worked on a few Jags. There's 2 things that British cars from the 50's to the 70's are known for: 1) breaking down and 2) leaking oil. Oh, and Lucas Electronics = Prince of Darkness.

If irrelevant credentials is what you wish to discuss, then fine. Me, I never claimed to be a Jaguar mechanic but I've owned four V8 Jags, about to buy my fifth, and likely have far more mileage and road experience with Jags than you.

I've bought them all from, and serviced them with, one of the country's foremost Jaguar experts who, I suggest, will forget more about these cars than you are likely to ever learn as he deals with them on a daily basis and has done so for the last 20 years, covering pretty much every Jaguar model ever made (possibly excepting one or two of the early SS-branded ones, but I wouldn't bet on that). He's also imported, owned and serviced a number of other British brands, from Aston to Jensen, and so tends to be the guy to go to if you have a question about any British car.

As far as pissing contests go, this is one you would lose.

But I think we weren't discussing that, we were discussing V8s in production or some such thing.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2016, 09:27:29 AM »

If irrelevant credentials is what you wish to discuss, then fine. Me, I never claimed to be a Jaguar mechanic but I've owned four V8 Jags, about to buy my fifth, and likely have far more mileage and road experience with Jags than you.

I've bought them all from, and serviced them with, one of the country's foremost Jaguar experts who, I suggest, will forget more about these cars than you are likely to ever learn as he deals with them on a daily basis and has done so for the last 20 years, covering pretty much every Jaguar model ever made (possibly excepting one or two of the early SS-branded ones, but I wouldn't bet on that). He's also imported, owned and serviced a number of other British brands, from Aston to Jensen, and so tends to be the guy to go to if you have a question about any British car.

As far as pissing contests go, this is one you would lose.

But I think we weren't discussing that, we were discussing V8s in production or some such thing.

You are arguing with half a failed geologist about car engines.   :hahaha:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2016, 01:38:19 PM »
I've owned four V8 Jags, about to buy my fifth.

And how many of those had Ford designed engines? I'm betting most of them.

So it's likely that we (the Jag expert and myself) have similar opinions about British cars made from the mid 50's to late 70's.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2016, 12:05:34 AM »
I've owned four V8 Jags, about to buy my fifth.

And how many of those had Ford designed engines? I'm betting most of them.

None of them, if the Jag experts are to be believed. If you really knew your Jaguars, you'd know, too.

So it's likely that we (the Jag expert and myself) have similar opinions about British cars made from the mid 50's to late 70's.

Not inconceivable but I'd guess his views are slightly more nuanced than yours.

- Albert Einstein