Author Topic: Anxiety from self-editing  (Read 402 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: Anxiety from self-editing
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 06:09:03 PM »
Even online, when you can preview what you've written and take out all the adverbs, spelling mistakes and split infinitives, a certain amount of doubt creeps in. Thus all of the "hedging your bets" acronyms like AFAIK, IIRC, YMMV, IMO/IMHO/IMNSHO, and their ilk. At times I feel impatient with this. "Just my opinion" — well, who the hell else's could it be? ;D

Another difficulty is that online, no one can see the expression on your face, and unless half your post is smileys, there's uncertainty about whether the reader will take it as you intended. We word things so that no one could possibly misinterpret, yet even then we doubt. (And even then, people can and do misinterpret.)

One answer, as Hadron says, is deliberate ambiguity, which can be great fun when skillfully executed. Take Calandale for instance, he excels at ambiguity. "No one deserves me." That's delicious! So many different ways of taking that! It's a game to toss out something murky and see which way people jump.
Ha - you know Cal more or less taught me, right? Though I was on the right track to begin with, so to speak.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
Re: Anxiety from self-editing
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 06:35:56 PM »
I suffer this problem all the time, it's evident by my post edits. :laugh:
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.