Author Topic: Aspie article  (Read 456 times)

Offline iceman1985

• Incessant Poster
  • Bow to me!
Aspie article
« on: October 21, 2009, 01:43:45 PM »
I am writing an aspie article for our newsletter at group.
I need some advice for what to put in it.
I am open for anything.
After the newsletter is finished i will post an attachment open to everyone on Intensitysquared, but you need to have publisher on your computer.
My little piece of hell
stay the fuck out of it

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Aspie article
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 01:53:45 PM »
When you say aspie article, do you mean an article that explains what Asperger Syndrome is?

Offline iceman1985

• Incessant Poster
  • Bow to me!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 01:57:05 PM »
When you say aspie article, do you mean an article that explains what Asperger Syndrome is?
yes
and also how we deal with it
My little piece of hell
stay the fuck out of it

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 01:58:42 PM »
Do you plan to talk about how you deal with it personally?

That might be a good way to write it.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 02:08:01 PM »
Writing about it on a personal level should be far more interesting than simply listing facts straight from the DSM.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 03:00:07 PM »
I'd agree with that.  Something from your point of view would be much better
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline iceman1985

• Incessant Poster
  • Bow to me!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 02:32:13 PM »
I'm having trouble with that
My little piece of hell
stay the fuck out of it

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 02:39:29 PM »
Oh, I see you have this thread here too.

I had answered the other one.

Will give it a go here too.

You could describe a day in your life. Or describe in detail what something, for example, doing grocery shopping, means to you. Or take something else that is challenging for you, and try to describe it in detail. Telling how this is an example of how autism affects you. And that it may affect someone else on the spectrum in a very different way.

Or tell them what you see/hear/smell/perceive when waiting in a queue. Or about an obsession, why it intrigues you so much, what you experience when absorbed in it.

There are so many possibilities.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

DukeNukem

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 08:06:54 PM »
Get back to work, you slacker!

Scrapheap

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 09:06:15 PM »
I CAN WRITE BIGGER THAN YOU, DUKE NUKEM, SO THERE!!!

:moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 09:44:56 PM »
This was my favorite I have ever written about what it's like to be an aspie. It was to help people off the spectrum to understand their aspie partners better and some were wondering what's like to have AS. I go to a ASD Relationship forum.

Imagine living in a world where there is no body language, non verbal cues, social cues and everything is 100% verbal. You just don't see it, no one uses it because you just have no idea they are. You talk and mind your own business trying to have a good time with people but instead they all get pissy with you, tell you to go away, mind your own business. People act mad at you for no reason and then they tell you all you ever care about is yourself. You also notice they get frustrated with you because of how they are treating you but you don't know what their problem is. Even when you ask if you did something wrong or what their deal is, they don't answer.
You are watching a movie and you have no idea why this character had this expression on her face or why another character got mad at what another character said.

You do good things for your partner, you think of them, you do things for them but instead your partner tells you she wishes you care about her more and all you think about is yourself. Even though you let her hug you and you hug her because you want to make her happy, she complains there is no feeling or emotion from you. She feels it's a forced thing you do and you don't really care and you are just doing it to get it over with and get her out of your hair. You are hurt by those comments. You do care about her and love her even though you don't know what love is supposed to feel like. All you know is you want her and you are happy you are not single and without her, you would have have less income and would have to get rid of some things to drop your bills. You have someone you have kids with and someone to help raise your kids with. But to her, none of that is good enough and she is accusing you of being cold hearted despite that you work and pay the bills and you do rub her feet and give her hugs before you walk out the door. You have gotten her flowers and candy but for some reason she is still criticizing you and telling you she isn't happy and you don't show her affection. You point out the affection you do and she said that's isn't the point and it feels like she is getting it from a child rather than from her own husband. There is no romantic feeling and it feels like she is hugging a robot. You are hurt by that statement because you feel what you do isn't good enough and what more does she want? She is so needy. You even point out the good things you do for her and she says that is expected of any guy. She obviously can't see it another way because she wants more more more. Even when you tell her why you love her, she accused you of being cold and thinking of yourself and says "What about me?" and you say "I hug you and rub your feet, give you flowers and candy" and she says "That all gets old and that is all you ever do." So you decide you will stop then since she doesn't like it. So you do stop and then she accuses you still of being cold hearted and uncaring. You tell her you did stop those things and what does she want. She gets mad at you and doesn't answer. You don't know what she wants. Women, you think. Other men online have told you they have the same issues with their wives and it must be your wife's time of the month. You feel better and it's good to know it's your wife and not you and it's just hormones. No matter how you try and explain your feelings to your partner, she still doesn't get it and she complains how you can't express yourself well even though you just did.

You live with your husband and he says you are self centered and he wishes you think of him more. Even though you do try and think of him and do things for him, he still thinks you aren't doing it enough and you aren't even trying. Whenever you get stressed or uptight about him wanting to do unexpected things, he gets mad at you for flipping out and says all you ever care about is yourself and can't you think of him for once. But you think of him all the time. You like how you have a partner and how you have a kid together and how you can be a stay at home mom while he works and pays the bills and you do cook for him when you make dinner. You do let him hug you and give you a kiss but the problem is you always pull away or push him away because he does it all the time and it's overwhelming for you. You feel your personal space is being invaded and you feel like screaming and you can't stand the touching and sometimes it's painful it feels like you are being punched in the arm. Even your partner always wants to sit close to you and you feel nervous inside and over whelmed because you feel your personal space is being invaded. At times you do let him sit close because you want him to and you do cuddle up to him to stay warm and you have let him rub you and lay his head on your lap. But he still thinks you are not affectionate and thinks you hardly show it. You point out those things to him and he says you are only doing it for yourself. That hurts your feelings because you feel what you do isn't good enough and what more does he want?
He even hates your obsessions and hates how you spend some time with them even though you aren't with them 24/7 because you have a kid to raise and it make you a lazy mother if you didn't spend time with your daughter and you didn't stop to feed her or change her diaper. That still isn't good enough for your partner. He still says you're self centered and selfish and you only think of yourself first. You two fight a lot and he says you're self centered. Sure you have gotten him birthday gifts and Christmas presents but he still thinks the same of you despite that you have gone out with him, have sex with him once a week, get him gifts, cook him food, but he still says he feels unloved. You think he is a needy guy and you complain about it to your online friends and they say he is a jerk. You know it's him, not you.
No matter how you try and explain your feelings to your partner, he still doesn't get it and he obviously wants you to be more than you can be. He even says you don't express your feelings and you don't have empathy even though you would give him advice or support.

Your mother tells you "This trash is full" and then she leaves for work. She comes home that day and screams "Why didn't you take the trash out?" You just stand there and shrug because you have no idea why she is so mad you didn't take it out. If she wanted you to, she would have told you so. She tells you she said the trash is full and why didn't you take it out. You tell her you didn't know she wanted you to and she is still mad at you. You tell her why didn't she say to take it out and she says she did and you didn't use your common sense and you're smarter than that.
You feel bad and upset because you were called a name and the fact she didn't tell you she wanted you to take it out. You often get accused by her that you lack your common sense and you never do anything around the house. She never tells you to do things because she was never direct and you never knew when she was doing a vague request. You can't figure out the difference between a vague request and a comment. Well the solution to that is everytime she makes a comment you ask "Am I supposed to do something about it or no?" because you have no idea.

Imagine someone telling you to do something and you do it. Then he gets mad at you for not doing something else. Or imagine your boss telling you to do something and you do it and then your boss accuses you of not listening and calls you a smart ass.
Imagine your teacher telling you to do something and you do it, she gets mad at you and sends you down to the office. You know you are in trouble and you know you got the teacher mad but you don't know why.
Just imagine living this way and always getting into trouble for nothing?

Also imagine being at work and your boss gives you vague instructions. You ask her to tell her to give you more instruction because you don't understand. But instead she still keeps telling you the same thing and saying it's simple to understand. You feel stupid because you don't understand. So you are stuck wondering what did she mean by this. What exactly are you supposed to do. You feel you are in a puzzle. You feel frustrated. You can either not do the job and get in trouble or try and figure out the puzzle and not get in trouble and you hope you guessed right. So you start doing it hoping you are doing it right. Then all of a sudden your boss comes back and accuses you of not listening to her and you tell her you tried to ask her and she wouldn't tell you and she accuses you of arguing and then she is finally clear in her instructions and you feel dumb for not getting it. You hate yourself and wish why can't people say what they mean and be clear when they tell you to do things?

I made most of that based on my life.

Another one I wrote:

A topic interests you. You can't stop thinking about it. It's in your head, there is no off switch to it. You keep thinking about it over and over and you are able to look it up online and read about it or look at pictures of it and learn facts. There is no way you can stop thinking about it. You can't get it out of your head. I've learned to live with it and hey it keeps me busy. I see myself as being able to control my obsessions because they don't take over my life. I don't abandon my responsibilities. My obsessions aren't going anywhere, I can do them in my spare time. When I'm depressed or have nothing better to do, I go to my obsession because it keeps me busy.

Imagine you like being on the computer, you want to do other things but you find it hard to stop what you are doing to do something else. It feels like you are stuck in your routine. You find yourself visiting the same sites over and over and you are bored but you are stuck, you can't get out. Even you find that you have not eaten or gone to bed or even showered. You are just too lazy to stop what you are doing. At work, you can never get off your break on time because you found it hard to stop what you are doing online. You have to decide "okay I will shut this computer off after I get done reading this page" or "I will shut this off after I finish this post." You know you have to get off right when your break ends and you need to work at making yourself quit just like that. Even when people tell you your break is up or tell you to eat your food or stop what you are doing to head out, etc. You get irritated because you are hyper focused on the computer and you don't want to be bothered. You want no one bugging you.

Yes 100% based on me. Nothing added in or exaggerated.

Basically describing what it's like to have AS is describing a world of stupid people and your faults you need to work on and your dilemmas you have with people. My advice, don't even think of the label and just talk about yourself. Talk about what it's like to take things literal or what it's like to not read body language or what it's like to try and understand people, what it's like to have obsessions, what it's like to have a meltdown, what it's like to have routines and be inflexible, etc. Only we can speak of ourselves with it because every aspie is different.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 11:31:04 PM »
One consideration is what you want the audience to get out of what you write and what you don't want them to get.
Personally I hate the pity party surrounding ASD or worse the misclassification thinking that we are homicidal introverts waiting for that one trigger then....
If someone who does not have ASD is inspired, more educated or views people on the spectrum as relevant after reading what you wrote it is probably well delivered
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 12:37:20 AM »
One consideration is what you want the audience to get out of what you write and what you don't want them to get.
Personally I hate the pity party surrounding ASD or worse the misclassification thinking that we are homicidal introverts waiting for that one trigger then....
If someone who does not have ASD is inspired, more educated or views people on the spectrum as relevant after reading what you wrote it is probably well delivered

What if some of us are waiting for that one trigger so we can make the streets run red with the blood of the unbelievers.

DukeNukem

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 09:42:38 AM »
This was my favorite I have ever written about what it's like to be an aspie. It was to help people off the spectrum to understand their aspie partners better and some were wondering what's like to have AS. I go to a ASD Relationship forum.

Imagine living in a world where there is no body language, non verbal cues, social cues and everything is 100% verbal. You just don't see it, no one uses it because you just have no idea they are. You talk and mind your own business trying to have a good time with people but instead they all get pissy with you, tell you to go away, mind your own business. People act mad at you for no reason and then they tell you all you ever care about is yourself. You also notice they get frustrated with you because of how they are treating you but you don't know what their problem is. Even when you ask if you did something wrong or what their deal is, they don't answer.
You are watching a movie and you have no idea why this character had this expression on her face or why another character got mad at what another character said.

You do good things for your partner, you think of them, you do things for them but instead your partner tells you she wishes you care about her more and all you think about is yourself. Even though you let her hug you and you hug her because you want to make her happy, she complains there is no feeling or emotion from you. She feels it's a forced thing you do and you don't really care and you are just doing it to get it over with and get her out of your hair. You are hurt by those comments. You do care about her and love her even though you don't know what love is supposed to feel like. All you know is you want her and you are happy you are not single and without her, you would have have less income and would have to get rid of some things to drop your bills. You have someone you have kids with and someone to help raise your kids with. But to her, none of that is good enough and she is accusing you of being cold hearted despite that you work and pay the bills and you do rub her feet and give her hugs before you walk out the door. You have gotten her flowers and candy but for some reason she is still criticizing you and telling you she isn't happy and you don't show her affection. You point out the affection you do and she said that's isn't the point and it feels like she is getting it from a child rather than from her own husband. There is no romantic feeling and it feels like she is hugging a robot. You are hurt by that statement because you feel what you do isn't good enough and what more does she want? She is so needy. You even point out the good things you do for her and she says that is expected of any guy. She obviously can't see it another way because she wants more more more. Even when you tell her why you love her, she accused you of being cold and thinking of yourself and says "What about me?" and you say "I hug you and rub your feet, give you flowers and candy" and she says "That all gets old and that is all you ever do." So you decide you will stop then since she doesn't like it. So you do stop and then she accuses you still of being cold hearted and uncaring. You tell her you did stop those things and what does she want. She gets mad at you and doesn't answer. You don't know what she wants. Women, you think. Other men online have told you they have the same issues with their wives and it must be your wife's time of the month. You feel better and it's good to know it's your wife and not you and it's just hormones. No matter how you try and explain your feelings to your partner, she still doesn't get it and she complains how you can't express yourself well even though you just did.

You live with your husband and he says you are self centered and he wishes you think of him more. Even though you do try and think of him and do things for him, he still thinks you aren't doing it enough and you aren't even trying. Whenever you get stressed or uptight about him wanting to do unexpected things, he gets mad at you for flipping out and says all you ever care about is yourself and can't you think of him for once. But you think of him all the time. You like how you have a partner and how you have a kid together and how you can be a stay at home mom while he works and pays the bills and you do cook for him when you make dinner. You do let him hug you and give you a kiss but the problem is you always pull away or push him away because he does it all the time and it's overwhelming for you. You feel your personal space is being invaded and you feel like screaming and you can't stand the touching and sometimes it's painful it feels like you are being punched in the arm. Even your partner always wants to sit close to you and you feel nervous inside and over whelmed because you feel your personal space is being invaded. At times you do let him sit close because you want him to and you do cuddle up to him to stay warm and you have let him rub you and lay his head on your lap. But he still thinks you are not affectionate and thinks you hardly show it. You point out those things to him and he says you are only doing it for yourself. That hurts your feelings because you feel what you do isn't good enough and what more does he want?
He even hates your obsessions and hates how you spend some time with them even though you aren't with them 24/7 because you have a kid to raise and it make you a lazy mother if you didn't spend time with your daughter and you didn't stop to feed her or change her diaper. That still isn't good enough for your partner. He still says you're self centered and selfish and you only think of yourself first. You two fight a lot and he says you're self centered. Sure you have gotten him birthday gifts and Christmas presents but he still thinks the same of you despite that you have gone out with him, have sex with him once a week, get him gifts, cook him food, but he still says he feels unloved. You think he is a needy guy and you complain about it to your online friends and they say he is a jerk. You know it's him, not you.
No matter how you try and explain your feelings to your partner, he still doesn't get it and he obviously wants you to be more than you can be. He even says you don't express your feelings and you don't have empathy even though you would give him advice or support.

Your mother tells you "This trash is full" and then she leaves for work. She comes home that day and screams "Why didn't you take the trash out?" You just stand there and shrug because you have no idea why she is so mad you didn't take it out. If she wanted you to, she would have told you so. She tells you she said the trash is full and why didn't you take it out. You tell her you didn't know she wanted you to and she is still mad at you. You tell her why didn't she say to take it out and she says she did and you didn't use your common sense and you're smarter than that.
You feel bad and upset because you were called a name and the fact she didn't tell you she wanted you to take it out. You often get accused by her that you lack your common sense and you never do anything around the house. She never tells you to do things because she was never direct and you never knew when she was doing a vague request. You can't figure out the difference between a vague request and a comment. Well the solution to that is everytime she makes a comment you ask "Am I supposed to do something about it or no?" because you have no idea.

Imagine someone telling you to do something and you do it. Then he gets mad at you for not doing something else. Or imagine your boss telling you to do something and you do it and then your boss accuses you of not listening and calls you a smart ass.
Imagine your teacher telling you to do something and you do it, she gets mad at you and sends you down to the office. You know you are in trouble and you know you got the teacher mad but you don't know why.
Just imagine living this way and always getting into trouble for nothing?

Also imagine being at work and your boss gives you vague instructions. You ask her to tell her to give you more instruction because you don't understand. But instead she still keeps telling you the same thing and saying it's simple to understand. You feel stupid because you don't understand. So you are stuck wondering what did she mean by this. What exactly are you supposed to do. You feel you are in a puzzle. You feel frustrated. You can either not do the job and get in trouble or try and figure out the puzzle and not get in trouble and you hope you guessed right. So you start doing it hoping you are doing it right. Then all of a sudden your boss comes back and accuses you of not listening to her and you tell her you tried to ask her and she wouldn't tell you and she accuses you of arguing and then she is finally clear in her instructions and you feel dumb for not getting it. You hate yourself and wish why can't people say what they mean and be clear when they tell you to do things?

I made most of that based on my life.

Another one I wrote:

A topic interests you. You can't stop thinking about it. It's in your head, there is no off switch to it. You keep thinking about it over and over and you are able to look it up online and read about it or look at pictures of it and learn facts. There is no way you can stop thinking about it. You can't get it out of your head. I've learned to live with it and hey it keeps me busy. I see myself as being able to control my obsessions because they don't take over my life. I don't abandon my responsibilities. My obsessions aren't going anywhere, I can do them in my spare time. When I'm depressed or have nothing better to do, I go to my obsession because it keeps me busy.

Imagine you like being on the computer, you want to do other things but you find it hard to stop what you are doing to do something else. It feels like you are stuck in your routine. You find yourself visiting the same sites over and over and you are bored but you are stuck, you can't get out. Even you find that you have not eaten or gone to bed or even showered. You are just too lazy to stop what you are doing. At work, you can never get off your break on time because you found it hard to stop what you are doing online. You have to decide "okay I will shut this computer off after I get done reading this page" or "I will shut this off after I finish this post." You know you have to get off right when your break ends and you need to work at making yourself quit just like that. Even when people tell you your break is up or tell you to eat your food or stop what you are doing to head out, etc. You get irritated because you are hyper focused on the computer and you don't want to be bothered. You want no one bugging you.

Yes 100% based on me. Nothing added in or exaggerated.

Basically describing what it's like to have AS is describing a world of stupid people and your faults you need to work on and your dilemmas you have with people. My advice, don't even think of the label and just talk about yourself. Talk about what it's like to take things literal or what it's like to not read body language or what it's like to try and understand people, what it's like to have obsessions, what it's like to have a meltdown, what it's like to have routines and be inflexible, etc. Only we can speak of ourselves with it because every aspie is different.

Kit, seriously, get a life. You're about as useful as a Dungeons and Dragons book.

Scrapheap

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 09:47:16 AM »
Kit, seriously, get a life. You're about as useful as a Dungeons and Dragons book.

IRONY ALERT!!! :LMAO: