Author Topic: co-volunteer being a bitch  (Read 395 times)

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
co-volunteer being a bitch
« on: September 13, 2009, 08:08:37 PM »
Today was a first in the six years I have been volunteering weekly at a wildlife sanctuary.

The facility is divided into sections, and it is common practice for them to assign teams of two to a section, and then for the two team members to start at opposite ends of the section and work toward each other. There are two primary tasks to perform on each enclosure in a section: 1) clean the feeding tray and water bowl, then refill the bowl, and 2) remove feces and other objects from the enclosure.

So that's what I did until I got to the middle point of the section.  The sections are further divided into subsection based on which enclosures are within reach of which water hoses.  I performed the two tasks on one enclosure of a subsection and was working a second enclosure when the other member of my team showed up.  She asked me if I had gotten to a certain enclosure, and I answered.  There must have been a misunderstanding as to whether it was the one I was working on or an adjacent one in the direction she came from.  I explained that I had not gotten to the adjacent one and her response was something like "I see that."  While I was still on the second enclosure, she asked another question (Honestly, I don't recall exactly what), to which I answered and her reply was something like "That enclosure WHAT?"  My intention had been to finish that second enclosure and move on to the third and final one in that subsection.  I don't recall every word of the conversation, but what she was driving at was that she wanted to either clean bowls or rake out feces on all the enclosures while I performed the other task.  She wasn't clear about that to begin with and started getting snippy with me as though I was supposed to just know exactly what she was talking about.  Then I saw her re-cleaning the bowl on the first enclosure, which I had finished cleaning about five minutes earlier along with removing feces from that enclosure.  I had finished that enclosure completely before she even showed up.  I tried to tell her that that enclosure was done, and see if she noticed something I missed (the senior staff's biggest observation about me is attention to detail, so it's highly unlikely I forgot, so my asking that was just an in-case courtesy), but she went right on cleaning the bowl.  That's when I realized I was dealing with someone with a problem.  (A problem with men?  A problem with geeks?  Didn't like the way I look?  Didn't like the way I talk?  An attempt to establish dominance even though she is of equal rank?  I'll never know.)  A few minutes later, she's doing the bowls on the third enclosure.  This third one had an exception regarding cleaning out the feces.  There are parts of it that are very difficult to reach with the rake, and the two animals living in it are very ornery and too dangerous to risk injury to get the turds in the middle.  (A more senior volunteer deals with that every few days.)  So, I was finished with my share of the cleaning duties, and (so as not to get accused by this bitch of forgetting turds), I let her know that I am leaving what's in the middle alone and why.  This was while she was cleaning the bowls, and she snaps back at me as I'm speaking with "I know.  I KNOW!!!"  About that time, two more volunteers show up from another section to double-check our work.  I kept my cool the whole time, so as not to upset the animals or put on a show for the other volunteers.

I don't think the lady was just having a bad day.  I think she might have had some kind of problem with me from the beginning.

When done with a section, it is standard to check with the day's coordinator to see if both members of the team are to double-check another section or if one is to double-check while the other goes to another section.  I knew right away that there was going to be more trouble if I had to jointly double-check the next section with this bitch.  So, I excused myself to find the coordinator and speak with her privately.

I explained to the coordinator that the lady I had been working with was giving me an attitude for reasons known only to herself, and that it might be best if I get split up from her.  She agreed and had me help yet another volunteer with an unrelated task.  She described the lady I had been working with as "a serious person".  My reply was "So am I, but I at least make an effort not to be fucking rude about it."  I apologized to the coordinator for having to bother her with this kind of shit, but explained that it had been my experience in the past that when somebody starts up with me like that lady did, it only gets worse if not dealt with.  This was my way of dealing with it at the very beginning.

Bear in mind, I've known this coordinator for the entire time I've volunteered there (six years).  The lady I was working with was somebody who normally works weekdays, but had recently started working some Sundays.  There are many volunteers there and only a few that I know all that well.  This lady was just a vaguely familiar face from the monthly volunteer meetings.

One other observation.  From a lifetime of having sociopaths latch onto me and then having to deal with that shit, I've learned a few things.  The lady I found myself dealing with today just had that look about her.  (We're not supposed to be able to read body language, I know, but for the sake of survival I've learned to recognize the signs of contempt.  At least I hope I have.)  She and another volunteer (this one a good friend of mine) cheerfully greeted each other in passing, so I figure that's probably a sociopath's skill of seeming okay when it serves them.

This reminds me too much of the summer I worked in a fast-food joint and a sociopathic assistant manager latched onto me and did anything and everything to make me look bad to co-workers and customers.  (The same bitch who pulled out in front of me in traffic weeks after I quit.)  That was back in 1992.

This is 2009 and, this time, it's just volunteer work, so it won't have any adverse effect on me if I quit.  I've already decided I'm not going to be intimidated or otherwise put up with this shit.  Hopefully, today's coordinator will quietly pass it along to the other senior staff that I and this lady need to be kept separated, and they'll see to it.  If, however, I'm forced to work with that lady or if she finds other ways to give me shit if I'm not working with her, I'll deal with it and make sure she doesn't walk away satisfied.  Possibilities may include snapping back and returning the bad attitude, filing a formal complaint with the senior staff, or just quitting.  If she embarrasses me in front of other co-volunteers, I'll make her regret it.

P7PSP

Re: co-volunteer being a bitch
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 08:28:03 PM »
Maybe she thinks you were messing with her shit?  :zoinks:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 09:15:13 PM »
I wonder what her problem is that she would redo the enclosure you had just finished.  Do you think she could have OCD?  Anyway, life's too short to deal with someone like this who makes your time spent volunteering miserable, so I think you are dealing with it the right way.   I would hope the volunteer coordinator will honor your wishes not to be paired with this woman again.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 12:25:20 AM »
The problem you might be facing is that she only doesn't like you and may work well with others.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 05:58:55 AM »
I wondered if it might have been OCD, considering the way she was flipping out if it wasn't being done the way she wanted (by task instead of by enclosure).  More likely, she was flipping out because she couldn't deal with my style of communication.  I like to be thorough and make sure everyone knows every pertinent detail.  I wanted to make damn sure she knew there was a reason I wasn't trying to remove every last turd from that last enclosure, lest I be accused of overlooking them.  So I told her the reason and she probably took it as an insult implying I thought she didn't know jack shit.  Why else would she start shouting "I know.  I KNOW!!!"  I really don't give a fuck if she doesn't like me, as long as she isn't spreading that attitude to others.

I've been thinking about my involvement with that place.  My level of interest just isn't what it was six years ago when I started.  Early on, I would work both days of a weekend whenever possible, commuting 20 miles each way.  Now, it's just something to do on Sunday mornings, an excuse to get outdoors.  If it's going to turn into a hostile workplace situation, it's just not worth it.  Had this been at a paying job, I would have immediately taken it up with my supervisor and with HR.  But it's volunteer work, so it's not like I'm relying on it to pay the rent or something.  Also, I don't have the time and energy that some of the other volunteers have, so all I do is put in a few hours work on Sunday mornings and go home.  If I quit, it won't have much of an impact on the place.  Besides, I don't want to be part of any drama that might demoralize the rest of the volunteers.  I can always find something else to do on Sundays if this isn't working out anymore.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 06:43:34 AM »
The fact that you only work on Sunday mornings should make it easier for them to make sure you aren't paired with the woman anyway, so I hope that it doesn't come down to you needing to quit to stay away from her.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 05:17:05 AM »
People who decide they don't like you because....just because, are annoying. It is frustrating when you can't work out what you have done to make them dislike you. I thought that when I left high school I wouldn't see those sorts of people anymore but there are loads of adults like that as well.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 06:30:19 PM »
It's been five days and I still can't help thinking about it.  My inclination at this point is to just say fuck it and quit.  I won't really know for sure until Sunday morning whether I will decide to go again or not.

The only way I could forgive that person's attitude is if I were to find out she had been through some tough times (e.g. divorce, pet died, sick relative, etc.) and was generally shitty to everyone.  But if it's because she thinks I'm a tard or something, there will be a real problem because I won't put up with that shit under any circumstance.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 06:41:17 PM »
Well, it's been over two weeks and I haven't been back since.  I guess I just wasn't all that interested anymore, not enough to want to deal with some bitch.  As yet, no one from the place has contacted me.  If they miss me enough, they have my number and they can fucking call me.  Otherwise, fuck it.  They've got enough people left to do everything.

I spent most weekends the past six years in the heat and humidity, cleaning up vomit and shit, and trying to do so without becoming shit.  (These animals would gladly make a lunch out of you if they could get a hold of you.)  Sometimes, I even did all that in the rain.  None of that ever bothered me.  It's when another human starts giving me shit that I have a problem.

I've got other things in life to deal with... an IT certification to study for (so I'll have a chance to actually prosper in my field instead of just survive),  the programming project I mentioned in another thread (it will have a practical use when it's done, but it's really for the skill), lots of reading, some gardening... all that on top of a 9-to-5 job.  I've got to have some downtime.

Time for a change, I reckon.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 06:54:44 PM »
Wait, what? That was it?

I had worse in my last job. Not only my co-workers were cunts, they were lazy fucking stoner cunts who left me to do all the work. Worst of all they deliberately added extra hours in the book in order to get more pay. I left because I knew it would fuck up the whole hotel, I was the only bloody cleaner in the bottles/kitchen area doing the work.

But yes, you always get cunts at any job you go. Fuck them and do your work, you're only there to make money. Only report if they're more than just rude at you.

Blasted

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 06:56:07 PM »
That's the thing though, he's not getting money for it.  It's a volunteering job  :zoinks:

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 06:59:50 PM »
General advice, I'm aware that it's voluntary. Replace money with "for the craic" I suppose. :zoinks:

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 07:18:41 PM »
Trust me, I've had my share of jobs where I was surrounded by sociopaths, bitches, and assholes, including one as an engineer.  That is a prime example of abject misery, knowing you have to keep going back in there with those motherfuckers so as to be able to pay the rent and buy food.  All that as they gradually erode you psychologically.  I remember getting sick to the stomach as I neared the place on my morning commute, and wishing I could just make a U-turn and get the hell away from the place.  (Which would have been fine if I didn't mind having to live in my truck.  I ultimately took refuge in graduate school to effect a career change, and discovered one of my old engineering classmates in my IT classes.  The professor overheard our conversation after class and commented about how he's known many IE's to get out when they see what industrial engineering is really like.)  Fortunately, my current paying job isn't like that.  Quite the opposite.  It pays the bills, but I didn't get a master's degree just to be able to pay bills (which now include a student loan).  I want to have money to save and a little more to blow on special interests, hence my current endeavor to get certified and be ready when the economy swings back up.

What I've ditched out of recently was volunteer work, so I lose nothing by discontinuing it.  It's not even related to my career field, so it's not relevant enough to have to worry about getting a reference.  I was just doing it for fun, which it has since stopped being.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 09:50:26 PM »
I think that studying for your IT certification is much more important than a volunteer job which you were not getting anything out of except for grief.