Author Topic: Ask Soleiyu some shit  (Read 11751 times)

TheoK

Re: Ask Soleiyu some shit
« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2009, 12:11:52 AM »
Here in the countryside we call it the shithouse, even if it's a WC.  :P

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2009, 02:03:52 AM »
Yes, over here we get to use the wonderful name dunny.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2009, 06:19:04 AM »
You'd still use a word like "toilet" and instantly (and forever) mark yourself as the filth you are. ;)
...huh?

You'd have to carefully study the Brits to get that. It's a strict class hierarchy, still. Someone using the word "toilet" instead of, say, "loo", will instantly be recognise as lower class or lower middle class (worse).
I think you have it the other way around, "Loo" is the lower class one out of the two. Or even lower, use "Bog" or "Crapper".

That's what I thought, too, when I used "toilet" in place of "loo", and was told off by a certain witch who used to post here. According to her (and a sociologist who wrote about the English in a book I can't remember the title of, right now), "loo" is higher up.

The explanation seems to be that if you really are upper class, you don't have to care. Reverse logic but it makes sense.
It used to be that way - Vivi's knowledge is a little out of date now.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #183 on: September 17, 2009, 07:33:22 AM »
Don't you say "bathroom" about that place other Europeans call toilet?
I say "restroom" more often than "bathroom" (unless it actually is a bathroom), which is something I picked up when I lived in Florida and it never went away, I think.  "The little girl's room" is traditionally what snobby women would call it, and "the ladies' room" is a formal but not obnoxious way to phrase it.  To my knowledge, the American lower class way to put it is "I gotta pee."   :zoinks:

Its on track to being a social norm - business in that sector is absolutely booming.
Maybe we should keep one of the few businesses that's doing well in these shite economic times, then.  :P

You'd still use a word like "toilet" and instantly (and forever) mark yourself as the filth you are. ;)
...huh?

You'd have to carefully study the Brits to get that. It's a strict class hierarchy, still. Someone using the word "toilet" instead of, say, "loo", will instantly be recognise as lower class or lower middle class (worse).
Oh.  O_o
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:35:16 AM by PMS Elle »
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #184 on: September 17, 2009, 07:41:36 AM »
I say toilet

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #185 on: September 17, 2009, 07:46:02 AM »
I don't really care what someone calls the toilet, and I say toilet. Although I say restroom when I'm talking in public, preferably in a crowded or restaurant environment, or simply because I just want to sound more formal. I won't ever be caught dead saying 'loo' though, it sounds ridiculous to me.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:47:54 AM by Singularity »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Blasted

« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2009, 10:54:25 AM »
I say loo.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #187 on: September 17, 2009, 11:07:48 AM »
I say loo.

Most women that I bump into IRL usually call it the loo.

TheoK

« Reply #188 on: September 17, 2009, 11:44:47 AM »
I say "restroom" more often than "bathroom" (unless it actually is a bathroom), which is something I picked up when I lived in Florida and it never went away, I think.  "The little girl's room" is traditionally what snobby women would call it, and "the ladies' room" is a formal but not obnoxious way to phrase it.  To my knowledge, the American lower class way to put it is "I gotta pee."   :zoinks:

In Sweden a "restroom" actually is a room where you can rest in a university, working place etc.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #189 on: September 17, 2009, 12:09:07 PM »

In Sweden a "restroom" actually is a room where you can rest in a university, working place etc.

Thought they were called prayer rooms these days? :P

TheoK

« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2009, 12:09:59 PM »

Thought they were called prayer rooms these days? :P

Might be. In the future I'm pretty sure they'll be.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2009, 02:42:48 PM »
...huh?

I think you have it the other way around, "Loo" is the lower class one out of the two. Or even lower, use "Bog" or "Crapper".

That's what I thought, too, when I used "toilet" in place of "loo", and was told off by a certain witch who used to post here. According to her (and a sociologist who wrote about the English in a book I can't remember the title of, right now), "loo" is higher up.

The explanation seems to be that if you really are upper class, you don't have to care. Reverse logic but it makes sense.

And the English sociologist?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2009, 03:25:31 PM »
...huh?

And the English sociologist?
Yeah - research has a sell by date in sociology, for obvious reasons.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #193 on: September 18, 2009, 01:31:41 AM »
The book was published in 2004 so it's not that old, and since then I've seen quite a few references at Google indicating the same thing. I suspect it's an age-related thing, though, meaning that the younger generation is less likely to observe that particular set of unwritten rules.

Do you have a sociology department at your uni? If so, I'd be interested in knowing their views.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #194 on: September 18, 2009, 05:06:47 AM »
The book was published in 2004 so it's not that old, and since then I've seen quite a few references at Google indicating the same thing. I suspect it's an age-related thing, though, meaning that the younger generation is less likely to observe that particular set of unwritten rules.

Do you have a sociology department at your uni? If so, I'd be interested in knowing their views.

5 years is a long time in culture tbh - its only recently since chavs started using the phrase. We do have a sociology department, but I don't actually know anyone who studies there, so I can't ask them (its a tiny department).