Author Topic: Bulletproof glass testing  (Read 277 times)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Bulletproof glass testing
« on: August 22, 2009, 10:11:20 AM »
Old one from the 30's.

Notice he used his wife to assist him.

Wonder if she got her turn afterwards, I would have wanted mine.  >:D

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Bulletproof glass testing
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 10:14:36 AM »
Yikes better be sure he's a good shot and you didn't piss him off
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 10:17:53 AM »
They were brave back in the 30s. Can you still do that in America? In Sweden the cops would take his gun and license for good if he did that.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 10:22:58 AM »
They were brave back in the 30s. Can you still do that in America? In Sweden the cops would take his gun and license for good if he did that.

You can do anything as long as you don't get caught :zoinks:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 10:23:20 AM »

You can do anything as long as you don't get caught :zoinks:

Oh, same here.  8)

Offline matthe

• gifted asshole
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • quit fucking with my dogs equilibrium yo
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 03:57:04 PM »
watch that again, pay special attention to the second shot. mind you that those old cameras were less than 30 frames per second. so it couldnt be slowed very much. lets say 30 feet in over half a second. thats about 60fps or 20mps. my guess is that those bullets didnt have much more than a primer in them.

in a nut shell, if the glass had failed, the bullet would hardly break her skin.
feix ma spellan. ai nide halp. coz i caent duet.

TheoK

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 11:52:03 PM »
watch that again, pay special attention to the second shot. mind you that those old cameras were less than 30 frames per second. so it couldnt be slowed very much. lets say 30 feet in over half a second. thats about 60fps or 20mps. my guess is that those bullets didnt have much more than a primer in them.

in a nut shell, if the glass had failed, the bullet would hardly break her skin.

You're probably right. The impact from a rifle bullet on that close distance would have shot the glass out of her hands, no matter if the glass itself was bulletproof.

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 11:54:17 PM »

Where the hell is PPK?

Offline matthe

• gifted asshole
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • quit fucking with my dogs equilibrium yo
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 12:14:50 AM »

You're probably right. The impact from a rifle bullet on that close distance would have shot the glass out of her hands, no matter if the glass itself was bulletproof.

yeah also notice that she flinches before the bullet hits glass in all of the shots. real bullets travel faster than sound, even old bullets. thats what makes the bang(sonic boom)

quote form wiki -muzzle velocity
"Muzzle velocities range from subsonic (below 330 m/s / ~1080 ft/s) for some pistols to more than 1,800 m/s (~5910 ft/s)"

at 30 frames per second and with a 300 mps bullet, the bullet would travel 10 meters per frame. would be invisible. in that second shot its clearly visible and moving.
feix ma spellan. ai nide halp. coz i caent duet.

Offline Todd Bayliss

• Fresh Meat
  • Put down the remote! Read A Book!
    • M Todd Bayliss
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 04:50:19 PM »

yeah also notice that she flinches before the bullet hits glass in all of the shots. real bullets travel faster than sound, even old bullets. thats what makes the bang(sonic boom)

quote form wiki -muzzle velocity
"Muzzle velocities range from subsonic (below 330 m/s / ~1080 ft/s) for some pistols to more than 1,800 m/s (~5910 ft/s)"

at 30 frames per second and with a 300 mps bullet, the bullet would travel 10 meters per frame. would be invisible. in that second shot its clearly visible and moving.

Most handgun rounds today are supersonic, but the .357 magnum was just being introduced in the mid 1930's. It's supersonic velocity was what made it so groundbreaking. Prior to 1930 most of the popular rounds such as the .45ACP, .45LC (long colt, cowboy bullet), .32ACP, .32S&W, and .38 special were all subsonic and typically still are.
The .357 magnum is based on the .38special and they use the same bullet. In fact the .38 can be loaded to the low end of .357 velocities but the resulting high pressures could damage an older gun that wasn't designed to be as strong.

All that said, you don't get a real good look, but the gun looks like a shotgun firing some sort of very light slug load. Probably just a primer like someone said. Even .45ACP, which is nearly 1/2" in diameter and is considered very slow is difficult to capture in flight on film.

Just looked it up and even the good ol' Daisy Red Ryder BB gun is 350fps.

"Victim Selection Error"- Kevin Murphy was planning to take a few days off to spend with his family...Plans have a way of changing.
Available at Amazon.com

http://www.mtoddbayliss.com

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 08:31:47 PM »

Where the hell is PPK?

Wondering the same. ???