Author Topic: The "Retro-Sexual" Male Code - We Are Men That "Deal With It"...  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
Re: The "Retro-Sexual" Male Code - We Are Men That "Deal With It"...
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 11:53:04 AM »
Weeench! My great grandpa ate fat Swedish food, smoked and drank schnaps. He died at 84 literally without a day off work in his entire life! :arrr:

That's because his ass wasn't sat down in front of a computer all fucking day.

TheoK

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 11:53:20 AM »
 :-[

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 11:57:32 AM »

What I'm saying is that he got out and did stuff every fucking day (I assume).

Life wasn't meant to be easy, but fucking hell we sure are spending a lot of effort to make it so.

TheoK

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 12:28:14 PM »

What I'm saying is that he got out and did stuff every fucking day (I assume).

Life wasn't meant to be easy, but fucking hell we sure are spending a lot of effort to make it so.

He started to work at 5 as a shepherd boy. Then I think he was working at home until after his military service, when he became a truck driver and later a tram driver in Göteborg. He retired at 67, so he worked for 62 years.

Offline The Member Formerly Known As Sophist

• Too Eliter for the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I am what I am and that's all what I am.
    • Gestalt: An Autism Forum
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 05:25:40 PM »
Just that I don't consider it manly to purposely try to kill oneself with food, outrageous amounts of alcohol, cigarettes, and the like-- and then condone it with the ol', "Well, a man's gotta die of something!"

I just call that stupid. When and how one dies makes a hell of a lot of difference.
Flibbit.

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 09:08:46 PM »

Just that I don't consider it manly to purposely try to kill oneself with food, outrageous amounts of alcohol, cigarettes, and the like-- and then condone it with the ol', "Well, a man's gotta die of something!"

I just call that stupid. When and how one dies makes a hell of a lot of difference.

Some of it is admittedly tongue-in-cheek, but the basic message is valid.

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 09:12:21 PM »

Some of it is admittedly tongue-in-cheek, but the basic message is valid.

I know, I don't doubt that parts of it are tongue-in-cheek. But then there's so many men who DO seem to think this way.  ::)
Flibbit.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 09:12:43 PM »
Searching for a man's 'feminine self' is bullshit. Men are men, and women are women, and weren't born to be anything else. Anything else is choice, and should be treated as such.

And someone should tell those fucking liberationists that the reason men did all those things like open doors for women or pulled chairs out so they could sit down wasn't because women couldn't do it, it was men were being POLITE.

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 09:13:30 PM »
You don't know much about brain biology then...
Flibbit.

Blasted

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 09:46:30 PM »
She totally pwned your arse there  :zoinks:

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 09:49:55 PM »

I know, I don't doubt that parts of it are tongue-in-cheek. But then there's so many men who DO seem to think this way.  ::)

Men who seriously think like that are stupid, and are not the type of man we are referring to here. A real man is going to make sure his family is taken care of.

A real man worries about and actively takes care of his health, because he wants to be around to be with and support his family and not die of some ridiculous heart attack in the prime of his life.

Agreed.

A Retrosexual doesn't worry about living to be 90. It's not how long you live, but how well. If you're 90 years old and still smoking cigars and drinking, I salute you.

Is this the part you are referring to? I don't believe the author is advocating destructive hedonism, rather pointing out how some guys can be overly obsessed with body image and the healthy-living lifestyle.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009, 11:21:17 PM »
You don't know much about brain biology then...

Who cares? If men were meant to have an inner female, why do women keep running from their inner male? If either exists, that is. To me it's all bullshit that that Germaine Greer and her liberationists pricks propagated just to mindfuck the ordinary sods who wouldn't have given a shit otherwise.

The reason women are so good at what they do is because of their oranisational skills. They cook, clean, look after kids etc so much better than men because they are hard-wired to do these sort of things. Men are better at the physical things that women have trouble with, like hard physical sports, hunting, construction work, and general heavy labour. The big problem is, women have been underrated and undervalued by men for their homecare and what they do best, but it's the wankers like Greer and her ilk that are to blame for that. Equality is one thing, but trying to emasculate the other sex just to propagate some bullshit notion of superiority is something else entirely. Greer should have been fucked and burned.

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 05:43:27 PM »
The reason women are so good at what they do is because of their oranisational skills. They cook, clean, look after kids etc so much better than men because they are hard-wired to do these sort of things. Men are better at the physical things that women have trouble with, like hard physical sports, hunting, construction work, and general heavy labour. The big problem is, women have been underrated and undervalued by men for their homecare and what they do best, but it's the wankers like Greer and her ilk that are to blame for that. Equality is one thing, but trying to emasculate the other sex just to propagate some bullshit notion of superiority is something else entirely. Greer should have been fucked and burned.

Those are generalizations. --Not that generalizations need be wholly untrue, but it's definitely not like that for every woman or every man. The gender of the brain is a full continuum; sexual differentiation of the brain is based upon the levels of blood androgens which, after crossing the blood-brain barrier, aromatise into estrogen (largely estradiol). It's the estrogens which stimulate neurons which have various estrogen receptors (e.g., ER-alpha and ER-beta), keeping these cells from going through apoptosis. In males, it is the continued activation of these neurons via estrogen during specific times of foetal and early postnatal development that causes this "wiring" you speak of. In females, due to lower levels of androgens (and hence estrogens in the central nervous system) these neurons' growth is inhibited, sometimes to the point of cellular death depending on the local area.

The thing is, the levels of androgens present aren't an all-or-nothing-at-all variable: it's a true gradient. Hence there are men who indeed have brains which process in more the female-typical way, and some women's brains which do the opposite. All because of how much androgen was present in utero. And androgens are able to cross the placental barrier, so if the mother has higher androgen levels in her blood (which can frequently occur with conditions like Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome which is currently diagnosed in about 5-10% of the female population and is the biggest reason for female infertility) the baby will also receive higher levels of androgens and develop more male-typical cognition. Unsurprisingly, butch lesbians have been reported to have been exposed to higher levels of androgens in utero, and women with Gender Identity Disorder, according to the DSM, express higher rates of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.

And it's not just early development that causes the sexual differentiation of the brain, but then the switch where, starting puberty, females have higher levels of estrogens than males. This effects neural plasticity (estrogens promote growth, in part due to their close ties with insulin-like growth factor-1, a hormone integral to cellular growth) and estrogen can frequently have an excitatory effect on select neurons, thereby increasing neural activity.

Anyways, sorry for going on, this is currently what my research is getting into. But the point is: I don't necessarily disagree with you that there are general underlying neurological/cognitive differences between males and females, but that it is strictly a generalization and there are minorities of both males and females who do not follow those patterns. It's a typical bell curve, with most men and women falling in the average range, but a bell curve in which the minority tails are also very well represented.

Long story short, you're generalizing too much. :P
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 05:45:37 PM by The Member Formerly Known As Sophist »
Flibbit.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 05:50:38 PM »
That sounds really interesting, Sophist.

Is there any correlation with the brain gender of the fetus and estrogen levels in the mother's blood during pregnancy?

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 06:03:38 PM »

Those are generalizations. --Not that generalizations need be wholly untrue, but it's definitely not like that for every woman or every man. The gender of the brain is a full continuum; sexual differentiation of the brain is based upon the levels of blood androgens which, after crossing the blood-brain barrier, aromatise into estrogen (largely estradiol). It's the estrogens which stimulate neurons which have various estrogen receptors (e.g., ER-alpha and ER-beta), keeping these cells from going through apoptosis. In males, it is the continued activation of these neurons via estrogen during specific times of foetal and early postnatal development that causes this "wiring" you speak of. In females, due to lower levels of androgens (and hence estrogens in the central nervous system) these neurons' growth is inhibited, sometimes to the point of cellular death depending on the local area.

The thing is, the levels of androgens present aren't an all-or-nothing-at-all variable: it's a true gradient. Hence there are men who indeed have brains which process in more the female-typical way, and some women's brains which do the opposite. All because of how much androgen was present in utero. And androgens are able to cross the placental barrier, so if the mother has higher androgen levels in her blood (which can frequently occur with conditions like Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome which is currently diagnosed in about 5-10% of the female population and is the biggest reason for female infertility) the baby will also receive higher levels of androgens and develop more male-typical cognition. Unsurprisingly, butch lesbians have been reported to have been exposed to higher levels of androgens in utero, and women with Gender Identity Disorder, according to the DSM, express higher rates of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.

And it's not just early development that causes the sexual differentiation of the brain, but then the switch where, starting puberty, females have higher levels of estrogens than males. This effects neural plasticity (estrogens promote growth, in part due to their close ties with insulin-like growth factor-1, a hormone integral to cellular growth) and estrogen can frequently have an excitatory effect on select neurons, thereby increasing neural activity.

Anyways, sorry for going on, this is currently what my research is getting into. But the point is: I don't necessarily disagree with you that there are general underlying neurological/cognitive differences between males and females, but that it is strictly a generalization and there are minorities of both males and females who do not follow those patterns. It's a typical bell curve, with most men and women falling in the average range, but a bell curve in which the minority tails are also very well represented.

Long story short, you're generalizing too much. :P

Thanks for the info. But most of society does tend to generalise, and on those generalisations opinions are formed.